PDA

View Full Version : Effect and work of Humic & Fulvic Acid in Discus Growth, Breeding & Diseases resisten

tirthabratapanja
09-21-2012, 09:54 AM
All my dear friends I have read at many Forum and websites that AMAZONE River water contain Huge ammount Humic Acid and Fulvic Acid. Thats why I bring Humic and Fulvic Acid but it is Black color powder. It making water Dark like Tea but not getting Ph down. but growing the TDS. What is the main thing that acid do god knows. Can anybody please tell me the use effect of HUMIC & FULVIC Acid. And how much I should add per gallon please let me know.

disckaroo
07-13-2013, 02:07 PM
humic acids are a refreshing boost for all living things as it is the accumulation of tons and tons of living things, condensed into a couple of choice organic chemical compounds. an excellent carbon source and lots of small cleansing reactions... i have just started using muriatic acid to lower the ph.

lipadj46
07-13-2013, 03:11 PM
They make humic acid pellets that will not stain your water too badly like the powder and will buffer around pH 6.2 Borneo wild sells a product called Humic made for shrimp tanks that works quite well and the pellets stay together. It gets expensive for large tanks though (shrimp tanks are generally small). I don't think shrimpers have had too much luck using the black powder except to make a tea with it and add that to the water.

http://www.borneowild.com/prod_v.php?g=2&l=11&c=26&p=212&stxt=

Using Indian Almond Leaves works well too.

disckaroo
07-13-2013, 03:41 PM
They make humic acid pellets that will not stain your water to badly like the powder and will buffer around pH 6.2 Borneo wild sells a product called Humic made for shrimp tanks that works quite well and the pellets stay together. It gets expensive for large tanks though (shrimp tanks are generally small). I don't think shrimpers have had too much luck using the black powder except to make a tea with it and add that to the water.

http://www.borneowild.com/prod_v.php?g=2&l=11&c=26&p=212&stxt=

Using Indian Almond Leaves works well too.

do you use any humic supplementation?

lipadj46
07-13-2013, 04:15 PM
do you use any humic supplementation?

no not in my discus tank, it's not needed for domestics IMO. I use it in my Taiwan Bee shrimp tank to help buffer the water to 6.2.

LizStreithorst
07-13-2013, 05:59 PM
I have used peat, a humic acid. It lowered the pH but the TDS was elevated because more dissolved particles were in the water. If humic acid does not lower your pH it makes me think that you have a very high kH.

disckaroo
07-14-2013, 11:24 AM
does anyone here keep a planted tank with discus and use any of the mentioned methods for blackwater listed in this thread?
j/w ....
i have a planted tank with the ph around 6.8 blackwater from granular humic acid potassium carbonate from kelp plants and iron suppliments. not to mention a base layer of penac p (pure calcium /magnesium carbonate) a general ppm reading from my hannah says 250 ppm. i water change mainly with R O water(once a week +top offs) and suppliment fish and plant nutrients on a somewhat "organic" level. no chems, meds, methyl blah blah.
point being i would like to have my discus back sounds like they will do fine right? idealy have a breeder for the ones that want to breed like a 20 gallon on the sides...

opinions? thanks
-Dalton