PDA

View Full Version : New Discus Aquarium

ROBFISH
09-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Robert and I´m from México.

I have some questions cause I´m tryng to get some discus in my aquarium... but I´m not enaugth sure.

my aquarium is 200l, +- 55 galons, it is fully planted, temp 27°C, and right know is without fish, cause i take them away to have space for the discus.
my main problem is PH, to my house water cames with a ph of 7.5... but in the acuarium, with my homemade CO2, it goes to 6.5-7, but when CO2 ends PH goes again to 7.5... and I have to be changing the CO2 reactor every week and most of the times the reactor stops producing CO2, so y have a lot of PH variations.

I´ve heard that some people have discus in a ph of 7.5 but is constant, and mine isn´t contant, what do you think?

I take out CO2 and live it always in 7.5 or cloud I add an acid buffer?

I wat to get 5 blue diamond or blue turquosie discus, is my tank enougth for 5 discus?

DonMD
09-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi, Robert,

I think 55 gallons is good for 5 fish, but if you've got a heavily planted tank it might be crowded. About the ph, I think you will have to stop using the CO2 reactor because you can't keep the ph constant. Discus have no problem tolerating a wide range of ph, 7.5 is not a problem at all, but it has to remain constant. Changes in your ph will cause stress to your fish. Good luck.

Poco
09-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Welcome to SD!

As Don said stop using the CO2 reactor and you will be fine, stable pH is important. You can also try to age your water for 24hrs.