PDA

View Full Version : What kind of pellets do you feed your yellow Discus

drew22to375
09-22-2012, 06:04 PM
I am looking for a sinking pellet to feed my Yellow discus that doesn't contain Astaxanthin. Almost all pellet food has this. The only ones I have found that don't is ocean nutrition discus and the Cichlid onmi. Any other suggestions. I understand that even if they don't get any food with astaxanthin they may still turn orange but I am just trying to limit as much as possible.

Thank
Drew..

twocat
09-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Where did you get your yellow discus from?

drew22to375
09-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Where did you get your yellow discus from?

From kenny. Golden lollipop.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/drew22to375/DSCF2400_zps8ad3ffb2.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/drew22to375/DSCF2401_zpsada5e163.jpg

camuth8
09-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Try New Life Spectrum Community Fish Formula. This is what I use and I'm pretty sure it does not have any astaxanthin in it.

DLFL
09-23-2012, 08:49 AM
"new life spectrum community fish formula"
Ingredients

Whole Antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal, wheat flour, whole squid meal, algae meal, soybean isolate, beta carotene, spirulina, garlic, vegetable and fruit extract (spinach, broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, tomato, pea, red and green cabbage, apple, apricot, mango, kiwi, papaya, peach, pear), vitamin a acetate, DL alphatocophero (E), d-activated animal sterol (D3), vitamin B12 supplement, niacin, folic acid, biotin thiamine, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium pantothenate, L-ascorby-2-polyphosphate (stable C), choline chloride, copper proteinate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cobalt sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate.

drew22to375
09-23-2012, 01:23 PM
"new life spectrum community fish formula"
Ingredients

Whole Antarctic krill meal, whole herring meal, wheat flour, whole squid meal, algae meal, soybean isolate, beta carotene, spirulina, garlic, vegetable and fruit extract (spinach, broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, tomato, pea, red and green cabbage, apple, apricot, mango, kiwi, papaya, peach, pear), vitamin a acetate, DL alphatocophero (E), d-activated animal sterol (D3), vitamin B12 supplement, niacin, folic acid, biotin thiamine, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium pantothenate, L-ascorby-2-polyphosphate (stable C), choline chloride, copper proteinate, ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, cobalt sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate.

Thank you where did you find the igredients. As I didn't see it listed on their website.

DLFL
09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
I did a Google search for new life ingredients.

DiscusDrew
09-25-2012, 02:20 AM
Try all you like :)

TNT77
09-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Try New Life Spectrum Community Fish Formula. This is what I use and I'm pretty sure it does not have any astaxanthin in it.
Btw the fist ingredient listed in nls pellets is krill which is a red enhancer.

DiscusDrew
09-25-2012, 02:49 AM
:)

Poco
09-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Btw the fist ingredient listed in nls pellets is krill which is a red enhancer.

And will probably turn your yellow fish to orange.

DiscusDrew
09-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Which shouldn't matter too much because it will happen regardless ;)

DLFL
09-25-2012, 02:15 PM
While at the Georgia Aquarium I saw a beautiful yellow discus in their Discus tank. Not sure how old it was but it was not real young.

DiscusDrew
09-25-2012, 04:36 PM
One in a million :) they happen occasionally but its quite uncommon for them to retain that yellow color as they mature.

Trier20
09-25-2012, 04:40 PM
So I'm wondering if you could use turmeric in a mix without turning the water yellow too, or I'd it would help at all...

TNT77
09-25-2012, 08:20 PM
They do make supplements for yellow fish to enhance yellow color...marigold extract/powder. Ive have also read that liver added to the diet enhances the yellow.
You can try these http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/kens-premium-earthworm-sticks.html even though it does contain a krill powder and shrimp it is a very little percentage. Ive never seen this food make any difference in enhancing red in any of my fish.

DLFL
10-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Here is what you use to keep the yellow (http://www.vividtropicals.com/Carophyll%20Yellow.aspx) in Yellow Discus.

From vividtropicals.com "The yellow tang discus available in the USA for a few weeks now and it has been pretty much sold out before the hit the Aquariums, They have been very popular and supply has been limited. These fish will stay Yellow if fed food that doesn’t contain any red coloration. This includes the following, Tetra colour bits, or any colour enhanced fish foods that contain carrot brine shrimp including other shrimp, Carophyll Red, Beta carotene, Canthaxanthin. If you feed any of these mentioned then the Yellow Tang will turn Red/Orange. By feeding all other foods including beef heart they will maintain the yellow coloration. But if you want them to become very vivid and deep yellow then it is suggested that you use Carophyll Yellow, the Tony Tan Yellow Tang has been fed Carophyll Yellow. I know some of you believe that this is sacrilege. And that’s a respected opinion, but remember if this is a bad price to pay for a vivid yellow tang then Tetra would not have a product like Tetra bits nor Hikari with it Hikari Discus Gold or many other manufacturers, it is the exact same thing as we are recommending.""

Dick