PDA

View Full Version : Chasing turning violent

cubert
09-22-2012, 08:40 PM
A quick back story: I've had 2 pigeons for 3 months now, and being a newbie discus keeper I must not have seen the obvious signs of attraction. A few days before getting a new pigeon from Kenny, i noticed one of the pigeons laid eggs on my airtube(the male ate them shortly after).

The new pigeon has been in my tank over a week, and now is chasing the old pigeon(female who laid eggs), and the past couple of days it has been getting worse and worse. Not a few minutes would go by without the new pigeon chasing her around, and now shes hiding in a corner of the tank behind the pre filter. At night I notice the new pigeon and old male pigeon shaking near each other, so I'm assuming this new pigeon is female and chasing the old female away from her new mate. My QT tank is currently being used, any advice from you guys if I should maybe get a divider or some other idea?

tonytheboss1
09-22-2012, 10:40 PM
:bandana: I know this is not what you're looking for but I'm gonna give it to you anyway. You really need more discus!! If you intend to work with just the 'established pair' (might be too soon) then keep the original two together & cross your fingers. If your intent is to establish a group, then you're gonna need 3 or 4 more to minimize aggression & establish a pecking order. The more you add, the less one gets picked on. Try to stay close to the same size although you'll see that eventually change. good luck. "T"

cubert
09-22-2012, 11:11 PM
sorry forgot to mention there are 6 discus in the tank

Eddie
09-23-2012, 04:33 AM
Its pretty much the way things are. If the one fish being chased gets too beat up, you may need to isolate/remove it.

Chicago Discus
09-23-2012, 08:48 AM
A quick back story: I've had 2 pigeons for 3 months now, and being a newbie discus keeper I must not have seen the obvious signs of attraction. A few days before getting a new pigeon from Kenny, i noticed one of the pigeons laid eggs on my airtube(the male ate them shortly after).

The new pigeon has been in my tank over a week, and now is chasing the old pigeon(female who laid eggs), and the past couple of days it has been getting worse and worse. Not a few minutes would go by without the new pigeon chasing her around, and now shes hiding in a corner of the tank behind the pre filter. At night I notice the new pigeon and old male pigeon shaking near each other, so I'm assuming this new pigeon is female and chasing the old female away from her new mate. My QT tank is currently being used, any advice from you guys if I should maybe get a divider or some other idea?

Im not sure if you have a bare bottom tank or a tank with substrate and decorations. If you have a tank with decorations do a large water change and move the decorations around in the tank totally move everything in the tank and change the scenery it seems to help with aggression. If its just a bare bottom tank move the filter and airlines to another place in the tank and add some driftwood. I hope this helps .....Josie

tonytheboss1
09-23-2012, 09:25 AM
sorry forgot to mention there are 6 discus in the tank

Tank size as well as other inhabitants is also important. There's gonna be a low guy/gal on the 'totem pole'. They usually sort it out. Changing the sight lines or creating new sight lines often helps. "T"

John_Nicholson
09-23-2012, 10:33 AM
What you are seeing is called nature...its what happened in the real world and you are not really going to stop it in the aquarium. Normally it will ease up when they get it all worked out.

-john

cubert
09-23-2012, 01:32 PM
thanks for the responses, i have a light substrate and a small fake log for my catfish to stay in. I'll let it go on and if you guys think its just their nature, but it seems more and more violent, she would swim from one end to the other just to get a good peck. I hope it doesn't get any worse.