PDA

View Full Version : new to discus

madjoe
09-23-2012, 08:18 PM
so been saltwater for last ten years 75g sps reef and 90g fowlr . and basically bored so changing directions with 90g breaking down cleaning and turning to a discus tank. i read up on em last few days dont know much about discus but love the way they look and personality . so seems like u see a lot of people like bare bottom but see few planted tanks. what i havent seen is what substrate if u gonna use is best . i like the look of red flint but dont know if its ok for them or should i use natural gravel. i like look of sand best and probably end up with planted system down road. for now was thinking of using my 90 has reef reedy overflow with sump filter with new bioballs i have laying around and my canister filter also. then thinking using 3d back ground getting nice drift wood and for now fake plants . tank has canopy and t5 bulbs . what spectrum do they look best under was thinking going led like my reef just not as powerful. im gonna clean tank completely get skimmer and chiller off so happy about that lol. upgrade heaters. then i have to cycle whats best way with freshwater some cheap fish and wait or what ive done fresh water but dont know how discus take to new tanks . any advise will be very appreciated .

Poco
09-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Welcome to SD!

You will find all your answers here.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?27180-Beginners-Information-Index

drew22to375
09-24-2012, 12:58 AM
I put a 10,000K t-5 on my tank per recommendation on this site and it really made the colors pop.

Drew..

madjoe
09-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys still trying to navigate thru all this info. Lot different from reef forums.

madjoe
09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
so i read through a lot of info trying to soak it all in. so far i got buying from breeders is usually best idea. they need warm water around 85 degrees tons of water changes best every day but at least every other day. and best to buy all fish at same time so if i want six buy six if i want eight buy eight yada yada yada. ok to mix different discus. not all agree. i should stay bare bottom for easy cleaning for growth for at least four months. then just from all the reading about clean water if im gonna do a substrate i should do gravel just for ease of cleaning. avoid dark back ground cause the can pepper . although peppering can be from other issues too. and should use a storage container for water changes. ok on that last one is that 100% nessasary im in a apartment although big three bedroom with just me my wife and animals with the crazy amount of wc needed probably not realistic for me . i do have a reef and r/o unit but only store around 30gal at all times of r/o and was going to use city water which is pretty good around my location . so is it ok to do straight from tap . im not looking to breed or anything after reading about breeding sounds like a second job. just looking to keep fish happy healthy and alive dont even need them to grow fast. just swim and not die. of course i would use water conditioner. so did i miss anything important i read much more but felt like those were key points to concentrate on. really hope i get some more feed back. i know im new here but 2 comments only . and for the two who commented i really appriciate it . i under stand lot of my questions have been answer in the past and probably hundreds of links but sometimes its nice to have a short cut . plus i can read all info on google etc. but more fun to talk to people right thats y i joined the forum.

Donno
09-24-2012, 06:12 PM
so i read through a lot of info trying to soak it all in. so far i got buying from breeders is usually best idea. they need warm water around 85 degrees tons of water changes best every day but at least every other day. and best to buy all fish at same time so if i want six buy six if i want eight buy eight yada yada yada. ok to mix different discus. not all agree. i should stay bare bottom for easy cleaning for growth for at least four months. then just from all the reading about clean water if im gonna do a substrate i should do gravel just for ease of cleaning. avoid dark back ground cause the can pepper . although peppering can be from other issues too. and should use a storage container for water changes. ok on that last one is that 100% nessasary im in a apartment although big three bedroom with just me my wife and animals with the crazy amount of wc needed probably not realistic for me . i do have a reef and r/o unit but only store around 30gal at all times of r/o and was going to use city water which is pretty good around my location . so is it ok to do straight from tap . im not looking to breed or anything after reading about breeding sounds like a second job. just looking to keep fish happy healthy and alive dont even need them to grow fast. just swim and not die. of course i would use water conditioner. so did i miss anything important i read much more but felt like those were key points to concentrate on. really hope i get some more feed back. i know im new here but 2 comments only . and for the two who commented i really appriciate it . i under stand lot of my questions have been answer in the past and probably hundreds of links but sometimes its nice to have a short cut . plus i can read all info on google etc. but more fun to talk to people right thats y i joined the forum.

Boy did you summarize all of the advice from this site in one paragraph.

I can agree with the water changes. My Discus look forward to it and they seem to have thrived. I have changed water religiously every day for over three months. If you're not committed to do that then you may not have very good success with Discus. YMMV.

madjoe
09-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Boy did you summarize all of the advice from this site in one paragraph.

I can agree with the water changes. My Discus look forward to it and they seem to have thrived. I have changed water religiously every day for over three months. If you're not committed to do that then you may not have very good success with Discus. YMMV.

Oh no problem with wc just storing 55gallons of it along with my salt storage water. Just wondering how bad is it if i do straight from faucet thats all. If i run it and get temp close and use conditioner

drew22to375
09-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Oh no problem with wc just storing 55gallons of it along with my salt storage water. Just wondering how bad is it if i do straight from faucet thats all. If i run it and get temp close and use conditioner

Depends on your tap water. Test the ph right out of the tap. And compare it to water that has been aged with a airstone for 24 hours. If you don't have more that a .4 difference you should be fine

madjoe
09-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Ah didnt think of ph thanks i will check

shoveltrash
09-25-2012, 01:38 PM
from the sounds of things, you've done your research - kudos!
ditto the advice on testing your tap vs. aged/aerated water pH.

discuspaul
09-25-2012, 03:34 PM
You've done, and are continuing to do, a lot of research, so you're well on your way to successful discus-keeping.

Only note I'd like to add is that, should you decide to start with larger, more mature discus - say 4" or larger, you need not feel that you must keep them in a bb tank to start with. If you maintain frequent wcs and a good tank cleansing regimen, there's no need to shy away from keeping them in a lightly to medium-planted environment with substrate from the outset, if that's what you would prefer, and given you have years of fish-keeping experience behind you.
As for substrate, which will permit you to maintain the cleanest conditions possible, I'd suggest you consider quartz-based pool filter sand, rather than gravel.
Best of luck to you.

madjoe
09-25-2012, 06:43 PM
You've done, and are continuing to do, a lot of research, so you're well on your way to successful discus-keeping.

Only note I'd like to add is that, should you decide to start with larger, more mature discus - say 4" or larger, you need not feel that you must keep them in a bb tank to start with. If you maintain frequent wcs and a good tank cleansing regimen, there's no need to shy away from keeping them in a lightly to medium-planted environment with substrate from the outset, if that's what you would prefer, and given you have years of fish-keeping experience behind you.
As for substrate, which will permit you to maintain the cleanest conditions possible, I'd suggest you consider quartz-based pool filter sand, rather than gravel.
Best of luck to you.

yea i like to start right i havent even broke down salt water yet lol. going on vacation so when i get back the breakdown will commence . just what to set up right first time. size of fish is really going to be up to what i can find in good health i will be buying at least 6 to begin with already have some in mind. dont ask names lol havent learned all yet definitly like the blues and the turqoius and leopard. might start em off if small in a smaller tank to make wc easier if small and will be barebottom and probably have the main tank set up and cycleing in mean time and working out all the kinks. think thats the best way to start .

quartz based pool filter sand huh. all that dang reading i missed that some how . think my eyes r going crossed. i got good at saltwater reef keeping the hard and expensive way . dont want to learn this hobby that way lol soaking in info first then set up every thing . i am very excited though and sometimes that can be bad lol

madjoe
09-25-2012, 06:45 PM
and just want to say thanks for all the responses. really truely appreciate it and will get pics of build up once it starts . i cant wait

madjoe
09-25-2012, 06:52 PM
one thing more guys . im ok with the maintance of it and understand that they need loads of water changes. but y? i guess i have to read on wild ones i never heard of fish needing that many w/c usually u will make u tank worse with that much of a water change . just crazy lol. i will read on wild ones and their biotopes

discuspaul
09-25-2012, 07:11 PM
yea i like to start right i havent even broke down salt water yet lol. going on vacation so when i get back the breakdown will commence . just what to set up right first time. size of fish is really going to be up to what i can find in good health i will be buying at least 6 to begin with already have some in mind. dont ask names lol havent learned all yet definitly like the blues and the turqoius and leopard. might start em off if small in a smaller tank to make wc easier if small and will be barebottom and probably have the main tank set up and cycleing in mean time and working out all the kinks. think thats the best way to start .

quartz based pool filter sand huh. all that dang reading i missed that some how . think my eyes r going crossed. i got good at saltwater reef keeping the hard and expensive way . dont want to learn this hobby that way lol soaking in info first then set up every thing . i am very excited though and sometimes that can be bad lol

Just so you can get some idea of what that pool filter sand looks like, how well it looks, how easy it is to keep clean, and how well it grows plants (using root tab ferts), here's a peek at my planted discus tank:

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/lolliblues2

one thing more guys . im ok with the maintance of it and understand that they need loads of water changes. but y? i guess i have to read on wild ones i never heard of fish needing that many w/c usually u will make u tank worse with that much of a water change . just crazy lol. i will read on wild ones and their biotopes

The discus you see in my tank are now 4" + up to 6", and I maintain the tank very clean, with excellent conditions for the discus, with just 2 to 3 - 50% wcs a week.

Be sure to get your discus from a quality source, such as one of the sponsors here on simply, to ensure you're getting healthy, well-shaped stock. And keep in mind, the smaller the discus (albeit less expensive) the more care and attention, wcs & feeding, they need. The larger, the more mature the fish, the easier it is to care for them & maintain them in good health.

madjoe
09-25-2012, 11:19 PM
dude that tank is nice . sand looks good . where did u get pool filter sand ? and love those discusmost of the ones i want except yellow ones . so many yellow fish in salt water lol staying away from anything yellow

discuspaul
09-25-2012, 11:50 PM
You can get good quality, clean/dust-free, dense silica sand in a variety of colors from most pool & spa supply stores in your area.
Cost will be around $10. for a 50 lb bag - and 2 bags would do your 90 gal tank nicely.

madjoe
09-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Nice thanks

madjoe
10-01-2012, 10:35 PM
ok so think i have all info i need to keep these fellas and bunch of ideas for the tank once i get it ripped apart and turned fresh. ive set up smaller 30gal . up and running today but one more question . ive havent come across a answer yet how do u get the water ready for a discus since no fish in there no biological elements yet should i buy a cheap fresh water fish or can i just buy discus and use the water they come with. since they need such big water changes daily kinda puts all my experience to the test . usually i buy few small cheap fish let them cycle tank before i add more expensive fish . and i know usually u kill fish by adding to many into a new tank to fast but since everyone says they do better in groups kinda puts a kink in my old ways. way i was thinking was i can buy the fish now keep in smaller tank barebottom and grow em out that will give me plenty of time and motivation to get the display tank all going . going to do diy rock wall with the pool sand and drift wood and fake plants for now dont want to get into the c02 doseing and what not at this time.

decoy50
10-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Run a search on "fishless cycle"

fishaddiction
10-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Very good thread.i am also starting on my first discus.i already have a established planted tank.75 gallon i will be using.can't wait to start this weekend or today with my first discus.

madjoe
10-03-2012, 06:17 PM
now i just need to find a local breeder for some fry. well after cycleing of course . but least find a breeder so i know where as soon as im ready

fishaddiction
10-03-2012, 06:52 PM
There are no breeders around here.i hate it.i just got the discus.so beautiful.

shoveltrash
10-03-2012, 07:35 PM
If there are no local breeders you should consider buying from a SD sponsor.

madjoe
10-03-2012, 10:09 PM
i never was able to trust shipping and just have to c fish before i buy . not for quality concerns more for thats the fun part of the hobby u know what i mean

Dogvet06
10-03-2012, 11:04 PM
i never was able to trust shipping and just have to c fish before i buy . not for quality concerns more for thats the fun part of the hobby u know what i mean
thats how I used to think but unfortunately after trying to get discus to get full size and do well for many years, I've finally accepted i need to buy online. Kenny posts pics of each fish in his shipment...so technically u do get to see what u r buying :) waiting on my first babies from Kenny this month and I cant wait. At least u found this forum before you made all the mistakes I did and you can take that advice and hopefully have success the first time!

fishaddiction
10-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Have you ordered from Kenny before.

shoveltrash
10-04-2012, 11:00 AM
i never was able to trust shipping and just have to c fish before i buy . not for quality concerns more for thats the fun part of the hobby u know what i meanthat's too bad. you will most likely pay much more money for lesser quality at a LFS. where are you located? there may be a SD sponsor/breeder near you?
you really need to source a reputable Discus seller - quality will affect the overall success of your Discus keeping endeavor.

madjoe
10-04-2012, 05:34 PM
thats how I used to think but unfortunately after trying to get discus to get full size and do well for many years, I've finally accepted i need to buy online. Kenny posts pics of each fish in his shipment...so technically u do get to see what u r buying :) waiting on my first babies from Kenny this month and I cant wait. At least u found this forum before you made all the mistakes I did and you can take that advice and hopefully have success the first time!

yea forums r great if i would of known about forums i would of saved alot of money on my saltwater addiction lol. and its not the seller i worry about with shipping ive read nothing but good things about kennys fish on here. its the shippers and making time to be home for the shipment im out the door at 5am and get home all different hrs depending on ot . i make sure i take all advise serious i havent killed a fish in saltwater for many years even the rare hard ones but took alot of fails before sucess cause i didnt have all info like i do now . plus i start the research early i havent even finished the breakdown to start the build yet

madjoe
10-04-2012, 05:36 PM

never ordered from kenny before sorry . not saying i wont just be funner to find a local breeder and get to go pick out the fish and chat you know.

madjoe
10-04-2012, 05:39 PM
that's too bad. you will most likely pay much more money for lesser quality at a LFS. where are you located? there may be a SD sponsor/breeder near you?
you really need to source a reputable Discus seller - quality will affect the overall success of your Discus keeping endeavor.

im in river grove il . ive been to almost every pet shop in illionois lest ones ive heard of and havent found one with any cool or healthy looking discus. most dont even carry because of the maintnance. so if i cant find a local breeder then gonna have to order .

madjoe
10-04-2012, 05:42 PM
one more question my buddy brought up after i told him all that was needed to be done to keep these happy and healthy. how the heck u guys go on vacation? will they be ok without a water change for a week once in a while

Eddie
10-04-2012, 06:02 PM
one more question my buddy brought up after i told him all that was needed to be done to keep these happy and healthy. how the heck u guys go on vacation? will they be ok without a water change for a week once in a while

Depends on their age. If they are very young, I try to have somebody feed and do water changes. If they are adults, I've left them for a month with no food or water changes and all fish were perfect when I returned.

madjoe
10-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Depends on their age. If they are very young, I try to have somebody feed and do water changes. If they are adults, I've left them for a month with no food or water changes and all fish were perfect when I returned.

thats good to here id hate to be a prisoner . i can get people to feed em but they not gonna change my water lol

Eddie
10-04-2012, 06:12 PM
thats good to here id hate to be a prisoner . i can get people to feed em but they not gonna change my water lol

Yeah, if its an easy set-up, nothing they can't handle.

discuspaul
10-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey Eddie, it's really super to see you posting often again, and with your usual excellent advice - but now, particularly for discus newbies on this forum - I think it's just great - if you don't mind my saying so.
Apologies if I kind of sidetracked this thread a bit.
I think there are some very refreshing things happening on SD, and you are one of them !

BobDaniel
10-04-2012, 10:22 PM
When I started out years ago, I would buy 50 to 100 fry at a couple weeks old and raise them up, keeping the best and selling /trading the rest. When a breeder is tight on space or short of time, selling whole spawns is sometimes a great option for both buyer and seller. This is an approach you might consider...

Eddie
10-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey Eddie, it's really super to see you posting often again, and with your usual excellent advice - but now, particularly for discus newbies on this forum - I think it's just great - if you don't mind my saying so.
Apologies if I kind of sidetracked this thread a bit.
I think there are some very refreshing things happening on SD, and you are one of them !

I appreciate it Paul. Glad to be back and owning fish again! It's refreshing for me as well!

fishaddiction
10-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah i hear ya.discusmadness has a beautiful apricot rainbow .but i don't know if it will look anything like the pic they have up.

Eddie
10-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah i hear ya.discusmadness has a beautiful apricot rainbow .but i don't know if it will look anything like the pic they have up.

Apricot rainbow? Sounds like a girly drink...lol

shoveltrash
10-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Eddie I also wanted to say how much I value your input on this forum - I read more than I post, and always take the time to check out what you have to say :). (sorry to go off topic)

Re: new to discus

Originally Posted by fishaddiction
never ordered from kenny before sorry . not saying i wont just be funner to find a local breeder and get to go pick out the fish and chat you know.you should give Kenny a call, to 'chat'. He is a great resource. Even if you are hesitant about ordering sight-unseen.

madjoe
10-11-2012, 08:54 PM
hey guys does peppering go away just curious still have no fish just wondering

geezzeus
10-15-2012, 05:49 PM
im in river grove il . ive been to almost every pet shop in illionois lest ones ive heard of and havent found one with any cool or healthy looking discus. most dont even carry because of the maintnance. so if i cant find a local breeder then gonna have to order .

I'm in Aurora/Batavia IL and there's at least 3-4 people within the Chicagoland area that have fry right now which I am willing to be are also on Simply Discus. I've done some research via this forum and craigslist and found them to also be VERY responsive to emails. They are also very inviting as far as checking out their fish rooms etc. so as soon as I get close to finishing the cycle, I'm going to hit these guys up and check their stocks.

Also, check Greater Chicago Cichlid Association (discus are cichlids) as they have swap meets every month or so. I think a couple of breeders are there consistently.

Good luck!

jeff_eruption
10-16-2012, 10:46 PM
my tap water ph is 8.4, and my tds is 250...i was thinking of using ro/di water with api quick start been running the system for 5 days now...is that good idea? any suggestions ?

madjoe
05-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Im back . And set up a 40b to give this a go . Didnt do planted still might but later when my fry grow. Yes i went with fry the parrnts where just so darn perty i jad to have there babies lol. Beaides i like the challenge. I also ended up keeping both saltwater tanks running si this makea tank 3. If i get good at it and keep the fry alive i will upgrade tank probably another 90. Just wanted to say hi again as i been creeping the forum to refresh my mind on the do and donts of this hobby. Thanks again guys and cant wait to c fry grow and color .

forhonor
06-04-2014, 12:53 AM
mine never eat any flake...