PDA

View Full Version : Discus age?

Baygon
09-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Hi folks I wonder if any experts can help me determine the age of this discus that is about 3" in long. (btw based on photo is it healthy?)

Regards,
B

adammak47
09-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Sorry, 100% not healthy. Discus should not be black. Very bad condition.

fdlacy
09-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Others with more experience may chime in, but he looks darker in color than he should be and somewhat stunted. Hard to tell in pictures, but I would guess this fish is 6-8 months of age, but nowhere near where it should be in size.

Darren

Aznman1
09-24-2012, 12:44 AM
No it's in bad shape and really dark. Discus shouldn't be dark like that. It's so sad to see discus in such bad shape

Teshi
09-24-2012, 02:16 AM
I recommend popping over to the Disease/sick forum for a bit of help with this poor guy. Please don't forget to fill out the questionnaire. It will give people information needed to help you get happy healthy discus!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Disease-Sickness-and-Medication

Skip
09-24-2012, 02:23 AM
I recommend popping over to the Disease/sick forum for a bit of help with this poor guy. Please don't forget to fill out the questionnaire. It will give people information needed to help you get happy healthy discus!

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?34-Disease-Sickness-and-Medication

they already did.. a few days ago
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?99190-White-line-on-my-little-discus&p=930981&highlight=#post930981

Teshi
09-24-2012, 02:25 AM
OH wow... didn't see that it was the same fish. I hope it is getting better :/

Eddie
09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi folks I wonder if any experts can help me determine the age of this discus that is about 3" in long. (btw based on photo is it healthy?)

Regards,
B

Its really difficult to tell the age of a fish when it is unhealthy. Sometimes eye size to body ratio can be a good method for estimating age but when a fish has been malnourished or kept in poor conditions, the eyes appear very large due to the fish being thin and sunken in. I'd estimate at least 7 months and anything after that.

John_Nicholson
09-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Hard to say but my best guess on the age is about 2 weeks prior to death. Good luck with it but it is in really bad health.

-john

fdlacy
09-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Hard to say but my best guess on the age is about 2 weeks prior to death. Good luck with it but it is in really bad health.

-john

Reverse aging. That's creative, probably more accurate in some cases.

Darren

Baygon
09-24-2012, 05:02 PM

-john

The fish was half dead when I got it from LFS and I am doing all my best to save its life with all the resources I can get at LFS.

From 1st week that it was not eating until now (3rd week) it is eating, swimming normally (sometimes chase after my other guppy) , good feces, and comes to me when I show up with foods. I believe I am somehow improving the fish's health.

On one exception on the color, the Color was COMPLETELY DARK right when I purchased it and now some colors came back.

Does anyone has a pic of how this discus should looks like "normally" in terms of color?

Regards,
B

Eddie
09-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Hard to say without knowing the actual type. What was it sold as?

John_Nicholson
09-24-2012, 05:19 PM
My guess is some sort of a turq. Here is a real old pic of a red turq.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/fish10b.jpg

I was not trying to be mean but I will never understand why people buy sick fish. For the money you spent on that fish + meds you could have bought a healthy fish instead of one that will probably never amount to much.

Good luck.

-john

Baygon
09-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Hard to say without knowing the actual type. What was it sold as?

Well the LFS owner doesn't know...it was sold as "discus fish". The owner bought the discus from a US supplier to have them shipped to Panama. Apparently all the other discus the owner bought died a week ago...he said he has no idea the supplier would ship him bad fishes...

Perhaps there is still hope on my little discus?

Regards,
B

Eddie
09-24-2012, 05:25 PM
I'd say that picture John posted would be similar. Maybe not as dark as it is in spawning/breeding color.

Baygon
09-24-2012, 05:37 PM
My guess is some sort of a turq. Here is a real old pic of a red turq.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/DiscusJohn/fish10b.jpg

I was not trying to be mean but I will never understand why people buy sick fish. For the money you spent on that fish + meds you could have bought a healthy fish instead of one that will probably never amount to much.

Good luck.

-john

Yes I undersand, and thank you for the advice John,

I have to admit that I have no clue about discus at all when I made the purchase, sadly. At frist I regret buying an unhealthy fish from a LFS I trust but since it is mine now I believe I have all the responsibility to make up for this fish as long as I have hope that it will become healthy again. It is true that I spent more than what the fish cost me on med and etcs by now but I just can't leave the fish died like this...

In one way I have to thank you the owner for selling me sick fish or else I will not have be here and get to know so much about Discus fish.

John_Nicholson
09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
We all start our journey somewhere...your just started in a LFS. Hopefully it will work out for you.

-john

Baygon
09-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Just an update on how the discus looks like now after another 50%WC. Looks like it is getting better?

Eddie
09-25-2012, 05:25 AM
He's looking much better.

a volar
09-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Just an update on how the discus looks like now after another 50%WC. Looks like it is getting better?

Compare to the fist picture it looks better, are you medicate him?

Baygon
10-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Compare to the fist picture it looks better, are you medicate him?

Yes I did Ismael,

It was something internal and after treatment the fish started eating and behaving normal. Colors are coming back as well. I think as juevnil discus right now it is the brightest it can get.

LaCura
10-01-2012, 06:20 PM
scary