PDA

View Full Version : New tank.

Dubiadiscus
09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
So I would like to get a bigger tank for my discus. I currently have a 65 gallon tall and also have a wife that will disagree. Does anyone have any suggestion. The only thought I have is to claim my tank is leaking and I need to replace it. Any thought or suggestions would be great.

Donno
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Don't lie to her. If you want a bigger tank tell her why you need one. A 65 gallon tall is probably not ideal for your adult Discus fish.

Dubiadiscus
09-24-2012, 06:05 PM
What size would be ideal for adult discus? I was thinking 75 or 90 gallon

camuth8
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
How many discus do you have and how big are they?

Dubiadiscus
09-24-2012, 07:26 PM
I have 4 one is about 3 1/2 the other are about 5"

shoveltrash
09-25-2012, 08:51 AM
I am in the same predicament.....65g tall, need bigger footprint & more water. 'been searching CL, and, well, without informing my SO I went to see a 75g & bought it/brought it home.
WHOA. I don't recommend that LOL.
I've been in the dog house ever since, especially considering I overflowed the ageing barrel the very same day.......onto the hardware flooring!

<shrugs>
my excuse? "it will be easier to clean!" "I can add another Discus" (met with rolling eyes)
I'm overstocked as it is, but the fish seem fine (7 6" fish in the 65g).

so......good luck! :D
I wouldn't lie though - have a discussion about it with your wife :)

Lenin
09-25-2012, 10:45 AM
I would use my favorite Walter White line:

“I haven’t been myself lately, but I love you. Nothing about that has changed, nothing ever will. So right now, what I need, is for you to climb down out of my a**. Can you do that? Will you do that for me, honey? Will you please, just once, get off my a**, you know? I’d appreciate it, I really would.”

Dubiadiscus
09-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Shoveltrash I most definitely will not do what you did although it is very tempting to go and just do it. My kids did bring to my attention that there is a big chip in my corner of the tank and I have been watching it today in hopes it don't break and dump my fish and water onto my hardwood floors. I did inquire in the purchase of a new tank but the wife doesn't not want me to spend that much money. So I will be checking cl ASAP.

Dubiadiscus
09-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Lenin I love the Walter White Line. That is too funny.

camuth8
09-25-2012, 05:59 PM
I'd go to a 90 gallon tank. Especially with growing discus.:)

Trier20
09-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Listen to Trish! I've done that a few times too but with fish. I figured it would take a month to see there were a few more, but it took about 30 minutes after she got home. I've found that if you include them in discussions about the tanks they will feel apart of it. Especially if you let them pick a strain of fish to put in. I guess what I'm saying is include them in discussions. It also would help to get the kids on your side too :) LMAO

Dubiadiscus
09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Good point trier20. The first step is done the kids are on my side seeing they also would like bigger fish tanks in there rooms. I always include my wife in discussions she doesn't mind she just doesn't like me to spend the money. It's just hard to explain my passion of caring for fish and the joy I have for the hobby to her. I grew up having a lot of fish tanks in my house. It was a hobby that I enjoyed and shared with my dad. As far as a 90 gallon I don't have the room to put it unless I do that downstairs. I think I will go with a 75 gallon.