PDA

View Full Version : THEY DON'T TASTE GOOD!!!!!

Pardal
09-25-2012, 05:47 PM
I have a friend that everytime she comes to my house, she always compliment the size of my breeders , but want to eat it them.
I always tell her they don't taste good( most carnivorous do ), I read it once I can't remember if it was from Jack Wattley, Marc Weiss or Julian Sprung.
Any experience in the topic, I know some of you has been lucky enough to travel to the Amazons. I do read that adult gold nuggets plecos are very prized by locals and they are tasty.

Julian.

Eddie
09-25-2012, 06:10 PM
I have a friend that everytime she comes to my house, she always compliment the size of my breeders , but want to eat it them.
I always tell her they don't taste good( most carnivorous do ), I read it once I can't remember if it was from Jack Wattley, Marc Weiss or Julian Sprung.
Any experience in the topic, I know some of you has been lucky enough to travel to the Amazons. I do read that adult gold nuggets plecos are very prized by locals and they are tasty.

Julian.

I remember reading that they had tons of bones so they weren't easy to eat.

chaoslite
09-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Really? This is not good news, because I was planning on eating one of mine since he has decided he does not want to spawn with any of my females.;)

Mishka

BlackComet94
09-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Haven't you eat any? How do you know they don't taste good?
She wants to eat yours instead. :-)
Jk

Julian.

Pardal
09-25-2012, 10:30 PM

So,Eddie in regards to bones they are like the Carps when it comes to eating?

Julian.

Pardal
09-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Haven't you eat any? How do you know they don't taste good?
She wants to eat yours instead. :-)
Jk
BlackComet94, No I haven't eat any:) I just read it once. I can't remember who was he ask to a fisherman for Discus Acara and the fisherman told him no good for eating and pointed to basket full of plecos. I love my fish too much. Although I will eat anything in survival mode of course.

Pardal
09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Really? This is not good news, because I was planning on eating one of mine since he has decided he does not want to spawn with any of my females.;)

Mishka
Mishka,
Just let us know, a buddy of mine frustated once with no sales in his hatcheries, told me Julian if I don't sale anything soon I going to make soup with these guys, I left that day with a breeding pair.

Bill63SG
09-25-2012, 11:06 PM
You prep them like Elvis did squirrles.Hit them with a hammer until the bones are paste.

Wes
09-25-2012, 11:12 PM
:smash: like this Bill?
:fish:

Bill63SG
09-26-2012, 05:33 AM
:smash: like this Bill?
:fish:+1 Thank you,thank you very much.

Pardal
09-26-2012, 03:02 PM
C'mon guys and gals they have to be some travelers out there that can share their experience.
Another inquired I read also in the old days, some discriminated fisherman's use to toss to the grass those that were not royal or semiroyal looking. I don't think that still happens today but who knows they might end up in somebody's fry pan.

Moon
09-26-2012, 05:00 PM
I had a very old issue of TFH. In that the front cover was a picture of a native Indian girl holding a really nice blue discus to her mouth. Not quite sure if she ate it.

Larry Bugg
09-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Believe that picture is in one of Wattley's books, isn't it? She is supposedly eating it. I would bet the TFH cover was censored...............

Moon
09-26-2012, 05:17 PM
No it was not, bare breasts and all

Pardal
09-26-2012, 08:59 PM
No it was not, bare breasts and all
Moon,
That is definately a keeper a collectable item no doubt.

Julian.

SaucyKP
09-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I would imagine them to be like crappie, not tons of meat, but sweet taste. As much money was spent, mine will be thrown on the grill should the time come.

Keith Perkins
09-27-2012, 12:04 AM
I have the Handbook of Discus, I know of what young native girl you speak. Of course she's probably at least 50 now. Back then, the 80s probably, I remember there being controversy about Wattley saying the poorly colored discus the natives would eat. Even then, others said discus were too valuable to eat and everything would be exported and none eaten. If that's true OP, you're going to have to find someone REALLY old to tell you how they taste. Either that or a lot wealthier than me.

Pardal
09-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Keith
For us Discus are very valuable not doubt, but remember the perception of a native maybe different than ours. and if edible it will be pass down from generation to generation. I know these days there is no need to go to the Amazon to collect, but I always like to experience things a first hand.I had been in many countries for work and for pleasure but never in the Amazon. I going to be there before I get too old and the Amazon gets destroyed with damns and hydroelectrics for mining, but that's another topic of course.
I will tell you this I won't try to eat them but if the natives eat them I won't say not, Hopefully that give me the right to eat something better like Piraricu, (Arapaigma Gigas) who is supouse to be delicious.

Julian.