PDA

View Full Version : Experiecences with Amazon expeditions?

DiscusBR
09-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi all,

Victor Hugo from Santarem Discus offers several expeditions to the Amazon to dive with and collect discus:

http://amazonfishtrade.com.br/expeditions/expeditions-price/

Does any one have any experience with this or other types of excursion?

DiscusBR
09-26-2012, 11:22 PM
A Polish young man who joined one of the expeditions made this amazing underwater video of discus in Lago Grande:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amazon-Dream-Trip-Micha%C5%82-Marcinkiewicz-Expeditions/457347057630129#!/photo.php?v=491053924252269

nevsfish
09-26-2012, 11:33 PM
wow i would love to be there with a net and scoop up some of those beautys .awesome!!!! regards lawrence

John_Nicholson
09-27-2012, 09:02 AM
It may have changed but I think it is illegal for anyone not from Brazil to collect fish. Not a problem for DiscusBR but would be for nevsfish or me.

-john

DiscusBR
09-27-2012, 01:29 PM
It may have changed but I think it is illegal for anyone not from Brazil to collect fish. Not a problem for DiscusBR but would be for nevsfish or me.

-john

When I wrote "collect" fish, I did not mean that you could bring them home or take them out of Brazil. I was only referring to the fun of watching the process of fishing wild discus. I would not be able to travel with discus. That would require a lot of permits. As far as I know, there are only three companies allowed to commercialize wild discus: Hudson´s H&K, Yamamoto´s WB Sabby and Victor Hugo´s Santarem discus. Nobody else can get discus out of Brazil, I think.

DiscusBR
09-27-2012, 08:57 PM
No experiences?

What about organizing a SD trip? The 4-day low cost trip needs 6 people. Any takers?

lipadj46
09-27-2012, 09:19 PM
If you go on the specific fish collecting tours like the ones offered through Hudson (or whoever does the yearly trips advertized in the wild forum here) do all the paperwork to allow you to get your collected fish home.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

DiscusBR
09-27-2012, 09:36 PM
If you go on the specific fish collecting tours like the ones offered through Hudson (or whoever does the yearly trips advertized in the wild forum here) do all the paperwork to allow you to get your collected fish home.

I did not know Hudson also organized trips to the Amazon. May be he will give us some info here. Or does anyone have informaton that can be shared?

Bringing your own river-collected fish home? Do you mean somebody has succesfully brought wild discus in their luggage? That sounds improbable... But what do I know?

lipadj46
09-27-2012, 09:46 PM
I did not know Hudson also organized trips to the Amazon. May be he will give us some info here. Or does anyone have informaton that can be shared?

Bringing your own river-collected fish home? Do you mean somebody has succesfully brought wild discus in their luggage? That sounds improbable... But what do I know?

Sorry it was mark weiss/Hugo Quaresma that runs the trips not sure who helps with the exporting on their end but you need to arrange the import on your end (transhipper or whatever):

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?90442-2011Discus-Collection-Trip-of-a-Lifetime-in-the-Amazon-with-the-Legendary-Marc-Weiss.

DiscusBR
09-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Sorry it was mark weiss/Hugo Quaresma that runs the trips not sure who helps with the exporting on their end but you need to arrange the import on your end (transhipper or whatever):

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?90442-2011Discus-Collection-Trip-of-a-Lifetime-in-the-Amazon-with-the-Legendary-Marc-Weiss.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the link.

hekdiscus
10-01-2012, 02:44 PM

Hello Friends.

I don't organize travels in Brazil , my activity is only exporting fish .

Next year I'll get a group of friends from Sweden to take part of my trip, but it's just an invitation I made some friends,

But it is forbidden for any person without legal permission from the Brazilian government, and send fish. Only companies can do this activity.
You can participate as a tourist dive and observe but can not fish without permission, if you do,'ll be committing an environmental crime and may be arrested.

Hudson

jimmyjoe
10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
This is JMO but going down their and collecting wild discus would be very exciting indeed, but going down their and collecting your very own discus too bring home would be PRICELESS.......................................Ji m in Ohio

DiscusBR
10-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Hello Friends.

I don't organize travels in Brazil , my activity is only exporting fish .

Next year I'll get a group of friends from Sweden to take part of my trip, but it's just an invitation I made some friends,

But it is forbidden for any person without legal permission from the Brazilian government, and send fish. Only companies can do this activity.
You can participate as a tourist dive and observe but can not fish without permission, if you do,'ll be committing an environmental crime and may be arrested.

Hudson

Thank you for the information, Hudson. That was my understanding. Have a good trip with your Swedish friends. May be they can post some pics here after the trip.

This is JMO but going down their and collecting wild discus would be very exciting indeed, but going down their and collecting your very own discus too bring home would be PRICELESS.......................................Ji m in Ohio

That would be great. On the other hand, chances are whatever you manage to fish will not be of high quality. Hudson and other exporters select the best fish among hundreds of discus collected.

yogi
10-01-2012, 07:46 PM
There is another option to this, and you can catch your own fish, but it's in Peru.

Amazon EcoTours

www.amazon-ecotours.com/