PDA

View Full Version : My Discus are Breeding for the 1st time, need help - Quick

nikhilsk99
09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
As you can see in the photo, my discuss are currently laying the eggs on my filter pipe.

There are total of 5 discus in my 55 Gallon Tank.

Question 1 : Once the discus complete laying the eggs, Should I start the filter? Its 400GPH filter.
Question 2 : I have a airpump and airstone. Should i start it ?

I generally have the filter and airpump ON.

Dont ask me the water parameters, I havent checked it for a while.
Appreciate a quick response.

Eddie
09-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Are you assuming the pair will successfully raise the babies in the community tank? Your best bet would be to see if the eggs actually hatch to verify they are a confirmed pair and then move the pair to their own tank.

nikhilsk99
09-26-2012, 09:01 PM
I never though about it. I could see one fish laying eggs and other following it up. so i thought its pair. So you say that there is a possibility that its not a pair and egg will not hatch ? I am learning, please give me some pointers.

Larry Bugg
09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
It is certainly a possibility that you don't have a pair. It could be two females. Until the eggs hatch you won't know for sure. What Eddie it trying to tell you is that it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will survive if they do hatch in a community tank. If they are a confirmed pair they will likely lay eggs every 5 to 7 days. Wait and see if they hatch. If they do and you want to breed them, then you should move the pair to their own breeding tank.

Eddie
09-26-2012, 09:28 PM
It is certainly a possibility that you don't have a pair. It could be two females. Until the eggs hatch you won't know for sure. What Eddie it trying to tell you is that it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will survive if they do hatch in a community tank. If they are a confirmed pair they will likely lay eggs every 5 to 7 days. Wait and see if they hatch. If they do and you want to breed them, then you should move the pair to their own breeding tank.

What he said! ;)

nikhilsk99
09-28-2012, 09:02 PM
yahoooo!!!! I am so excited the eggs actually hatched.

nikhilsk99
09-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I have turned off my filters to the fry doesn't get filtered out.
But as you said, I see it very difficult in a community tank for the fry to grow up.
And unfortunately this weekend i am moving so i cannot save the try. But good think is that I know its a Breeding, i will wait for the next hatch.

nikhilsk99
09-28-2012, 09:03 PM
You can see a fry swimming and the parents trying to keep it in place.
http://youtu.be/HhKdpD18mXs

Eddie
09-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Cool, confirmed pair. If you want to breed, then I recommend getting them into their own set-up.