PDA

View Full Version : Sick Discus? Need advise

chuckb330
09-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Need help on why my snow white discus is darting all around the tank at times. Started yesterday. Been doing 2 50% water changes daily since this started.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Snow White discus darting all about the tank at times

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

The SW discus hides in the corner then will dart all about the tank, then go back to the corner, also not eating, color is fine, breathing is a little harder than usual, other than that no other visual signs of illness.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gallon been running for just under 2 years. 5 discus all about 3-3.5 inches except one who is stunted. Also have 6 lemon tetras in the tank

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% daily, gravel bottom, driftwood and planted. dont age water change with adding prime

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____84f

- ph _____7.0

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____10

- well water ____

- municipal water _x___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

nothing new added since the discus

Eddie
09-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Might try to isolate the SW in a hospital tank for better observation. What foods do you feed?

BlackComet94
09-29-2012, 05:00 AM
Need help on why my snow white discus is darting all around the tank at times. Started yesterday. Been doing 2 50% water changes daily since this started.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Snow White discus darting all about the tank at times

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

The SW discus hides in the corner then will dart all about the tank, then go back to the corner, also not eating, color is fine, breathing is a little harder than usual, other than that no other visual signs of illness.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

none

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55 gallon been running for just under 2 years. 5 discus all about 3-3.5 inches except one who is stunted. Also have 6 lemon tetras in the tank

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% daily, gravel bottom, driftwood and planted. dont age water change with adding prime

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____84f

- ph _____7.0

- ammonia reading ____0

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____10

- well water ____

- municipal water _x___

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

nothing new added since the discus

I have exactly same problem with my 2 snow white.
They are darting out of control. Sometimes, they ended up up side down then I have to help them re balance.
They are still eating.
All others look fine
My WC is 90% daily.
Subscribed to this thread

jimg
09-29-2012, 05:27 AM
best to fill out your own questionnaire, something small may make difference. to answer with what you put, I would do a few 2-3% salt dips 1x a day for 3 days and see if improves. If afraid to do that try qc. how big are these fish?

chuckb330
09-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Glad to say that after a few days of doing 2 daily water changes of about 60% she seems to be fine now. Eating well and swimming normal again. Guess i lucked out this time. Will keep you informed on the progress.

Thanks
Chuck

Eddie
09-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Glad to say that after a few days of doing 2 daily water changes of about 60% she seems to be fine now. Eating well and swimming normal again. Guess i lucked out this time. Will keep you informed on the progress.

Thanks
Chuck

Thats great to hear. The ultimate goal in my opinion, is not having to treat at all, through good housekeeping/cleanliness and nutrition.