PDA

View Full Version : No fry wanted... Will this negatively impact the breeding pair?

Sasha
09-28-2012, 04:27 PM
My breeding pair continues to spawn about every 3-5 days in a tank that is (purposefully) not conducive to supporting a hatch (GH too high, filter not unplugged during spawning, etc.). I have successfully raised fry, and right now I am not interested in raising any fry. My question is this: with time after time of unsuccessful spawns, is there any detrimental affect on the breeding pair?

The pair, alone in their own tank, typically bicker (with the male getting the most upset) 2 days after the spawn when they realize that the eggs are not hatching. The female's clutch has become relatively small, with only about 30-40 eggs laid at each spawn. It makes one wonder if there is such a thing as "fish frustration" with continual hatch failures?

And health-wise, I wonder if it's good for the female to be continually producing eggs and caring for them. When there are eggs in the tank, she typically does not eat much because she rarely leaves her eggs, despite the fact that she seems rather bored and despondent with the whole egg fanning thing.

Would it make sense to let a spawn hatch every once in a while, even if only to cull the free swimmers? I hate to be cruel, but not sure what to do with these love birds who won't stop trying to make babies.

Thoughts?

BobDaniel
09-28-2012, 04:32 PM
If you can split them up and give the female a rest, I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

Sasha
09-28-2012, 06:12 PM
well, my original tank had 4 discus in it... I purchased the second tank to house the pair when they decided to "get together" because there was no peace in the kingdom with all 4 of them in the larger tank. So off the first pair went, and now the remaining 2 discus have also decided to become a pair. So out of 4 discus purchased and raised from juvies, I ended up with 2 pairs.

So, the only splitting up I might do would be to put the 2 males together and the 2 females together. Not sure if that would create havoc or if the same-sexed fish would get along without issue?