PDA

View Full Version : Pairing Tanks Question

Kal-El
10-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Those that are breeder may be able to help me with this. I wanted to know if I can put three 5.5" adult discus in a 29 gallon high to try and pair them off or should I keep them in a bigger thank like a 65 gallon. Any input will help.

Bill63SG
10-02-2012, 11:21 PM
If your trying to pair of with a group,I like a larger tank.If only a pair,I'll do the smaller tank,but start on a Friday so I can watch thru the weekend.

Eddie
10-04-2012, 06:37 AM
Do you know the sex of these fish? Have they spawned before?

Kal-El
10-04-2012, 07:41 AM
I know one is female on eggs so I'm taking that one with the two other two possible male. If 29 is too small to put all there I will put them in the bigger tank.

Larry Bugg
10-04-2012, 08:41 AM
No guarantee that one of the other two are males. It doesn't take a male for the female to lay eggs. I wouldn't try to pair 3 in a 29. Too small in my opinion. IF, the other two are males and one paired then you need space for the other one to get away from the aggression that will be present.

John_Nicholson
10-04-2012, 08:41 AM
This has been done for a long. long time. It can works well but you need to remember that the odd man out will normally get is butt kicked. In fact you want his butt kicked. That means that the other 2 are probably a new pair.

-john

Kal-El
10-04-2012, 09:44 AM
No guarantee that one of the other two are males. It doesn't take a male for the female to lay eggs. I wouldn't try to pair 3 in a 29. Too small in my opinion. IF, the other two are males and one paired then you need space for the other one to get away from the aggression that will be present.

This has been done for a long. long time. It can works well but you need to remember that the odd man out will normally get is butt kicked. In fact you want his butt kicked. That means that the other 2 are probably a new pair.

-john

Thanks guys. This is definitely the information I'm looking for. I will keep them in the bigger tank in case a pair is form and some butt kicking takes place. Definitely don't want to loose the odd one out. Once I have a pair I will move them to the 29 gallon.

Chicago Discus
10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
I agree the larger tank is better, you will probably still get aggression but you will get a better Idea on who paired up...Josie

John_Nicholson
10-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Normally the small tank method is done for a short time and with supervision. If you have what you think is a pair but they are fighting each other in a small tank putting a 3rd fish in will often cure that. We have all known of situations of spousal abuse where as soon as the cops get there the couple starts to fight with the cops instead of each other...same thing works for fish.

-john

Chicago Discus
10-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Normally the small tank method is done for a short time and with supervision. If you have what you think is a pair but they are fighting each other in a small tank putting a 3rd fish in will often cure that. We have all known of situations of spousal abuse where as soon as the cops get there the couple starts to fight with the cops instead of each other...same thing works for fish.

-john

How true LOL you stated that like you have experience walking in on domestics LOL....Josie

Kal-El
10-04-2012, 10:53 AM

-john

I agree the larger tank is better, you will probably still get aggression but you will get a better Idea on who paired up...Josie

I'm learning something new everyday on this forum. Thanks guys.

John_Nicholson
10-04-2012, 01:03 PM
How true LOL you stated that like you have experience walking in on domestics LOL....Josie

I know a few cops...LOL. Besides I live in a small town..often these types of domestic issues are handled by the women's family without the law getting involved...I am pretty sure it works a lot better than the justice system......

-john

Wes
10-04-2012, 06:54 PM

-john

Normally the small tank method is done for a short time and with supervision.

This method does work but like John said do it for a short time. I left them in the same tank for 2 days and the one male that got his butt kick bad enough that I had to put him down.