PDA

View Full Version : Male died, what to do with female?

trit0n2003
10-03-2012, 03:15 PM
My blue cobalt male passed away :( The female turq mate has been super depressed in the shadows for days and not eating but is finally starting to venture out slowly (still not eating).

RIP Big Blue
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/VOLKSvr6/Ollo.jpg

What is the best course of action?
I was thinking of trying to find someone with a male or with a group of discus to buy her, but if anyone has experience with this let me know so I can make her happy again :D

I had a similar event happen with my paired angelfish when my cat murdered the female, the male wouldn't eat and was very inactive. I found someone to buy him but never knew what happened after.

AngryBird
10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
How did the male die?

trit0n2003
10-03-2012, 03:27 PM
How did the male die?

Not sure, they were both acting completely fine and had actually just finished another attempt at spawning a few days before but ate the wigglers.. again... I was returning them to the main tank from their breeding tank since I am moving next month and needed to start shutting things down, after hours of drip acclimating in a 5 gallon bucket (i have done this transfer multiple times with no issues) i placed them both in and the female was completely normal.. but the male began breathing heavily and moving very lethargically. I assumed he might not be taking the high CO2 levels well enough yet so I added an airstone to the tank to help alleviate the lack of oxygen. He was being very slow and breathing heavily and was dead the next day with no improvement or worsening of symptoms.

Eddie
10-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Good color on the turq! Sorry to hear about the blue.

Keith Perkins
10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Odds are you're not in my neighborhood, but I've got a spare male RT that came from Kenny.

trit0n2003
10-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Odds are you're not in my neighborhood, but I've got a spare male RT that came from Kenny.

Ya way different neighborhoods lol but thanks for the offer!

However, I will most likely try to find someone local who needs a breeding female. I am going to try out other areas of aquariums for a while (shrimp/scaping/breeding other species/etc), I put a lot of time and effort raising them from juvis and waiting for pairing, then trying to get my pair to self raise their offspring and everything ending with death/disappointment has made me want a break for a bit before I try it out again.

But I will try breeding discus again in the future! It is something I have wanted since I started fish keeping 3 years ago :D

Keith Perkins
10-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I certainly understand that feeling. Breaks are good some times, hopefully you'll return with a vengeance when you do.

trit0n2003
10-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Thank goodness!

She started eating again today, she's being very timid still but is taking up food slowly :D

She's on the road to recovery woohoo!

trit0n2003
10-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Here's the poor lonely girl, hopefully her colors brighten up as the days go on :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/VOLKSvr6/2A20F23C-EEBE-4101-8D02-EB5CCE4BEBFA-5118-000001F39318C500.jpg

chuckb330
10-04-2012, 12:55 AM
How she doing today? Very pretty discus