PDA

View Full Version : I want to be educated...so can I pick your brain one more time?

Dogvet06
10-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I first want to say I found this forum almost 2 weeks ago when I was visiting Dallas, TX and I started searching online for stores that sold discus.....I know probably mistake #1
there is a post somewhere on this forum that names pet boutique and says they got their discus from Hans.(post was from '06 though) So I went there and they had a tank with beautiful (to me) baby discus that were very active, good color, and great appetite. He was feeding pellet, flake and frozen to them and he said they ate all three. I bought three of these fish and paid way more than I should which is why I want you to give me your opinions on them. I got out my good professional slr camera and took pics of all 7 fish. The two pigeon bloods and albino (white rabbit it was called) are from discus madness. I believe they looked great when i got them in May but havent grown so i believe 100% their appearance is my fault. To me it is now obvious in the two pigeon bloods they are stunted. And probably b/c there r stunted extremely is why I can see it. I dont see it on the white rabbit. The "cobalt" (as it was called) at a LFS here in shreveport, La I dont really see it either, but I know it has to be b/c I got it before the other 3 from discus madness. My big question is my new three. I am definitely bringing the 4 back to LFS but I want to know how the 3 I got in Dallas look. The snow white to me looks to be in great shape but my eye is not trained. the red marlboro discus looks good too and the turqish one I'm not sure...he has those dark stripes so wonder if stress...but he is the youngest smallest one so i dont know if that is why. they all have great appetites and are not shy like discus ive had in the past. since i spent so much on these 3 less than 2 weeks ago i just want to make sure i should 100% bring them back. thank you all for helping me out!

here is a link to thumbnails of the fish with high res pics:
http://www.pbase.com/ladymontava/discus_10-3-12

forgot to add i emailed the pet boutique today to see if they would tell me who supplied these discus...havent heard back yet and dont know if i will

nwehrman
10-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Ok -- wow those are little guys!

First some questions - since they are obviously in a planted tank, how often are you changing water? Growing Discus is hard in a planted tank.

The Snow White (which couldn't come from Hans- Stendker doesn't have any) looks ok, the red melon appears ok also. The Turq is very worried about everything... Hence the stress bars. He looks a little off but could be he is more sensitive to stuff from being so small.

Do you want an honest recommendation on what I would do if they were mine? Or what to do to salvage the situation? Or ?

Honestly decide do you want to keep them and put more money into them while learning along the way or start over? Your choice --just let us know so we can advise how to help...

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie
10-04-2012, 06:05 AM
They are quite small so they have some growing to do. It can be challenging to grow young fish out in a display/community tank. It can definitely be done but I prefer to grow youngins out before putting them into a display tank. Another thing is how much they all vary in size. One fish will definitely be bullying the others which are smaller since that is what discus do. That little turq may be showing stress (mood) bars from being stressed, whether it be from the other fish or something else in the environment. Getting fish from a good source pretty much enables you to get them at fairly uniform size.

Dogvet06
10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
Honest opinion. I have 7 coming from Kenny so if its best to bring them all to my LFS i will. Im their vet so they give me good credit for what i give them.

John_Nicholson
10-04-2012, 08:39 AM
What you got was pet store quality fish. All that means is that you have a hard road ahead of you and they will never be great fish but could be ok with lots of work on your part. Next time you come though Dallas give us a heads up. There are several hobbyist breederss here who are producing some wonderful fish. The cost would be less and the quality much higher.

Good luck.

-john

Dogvet06
10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
thanks John.. i dont know if you saw my other posts but i am starting new with a 120 gal bare bottom for my new discus from Kenny. I guess I will just cut my losses and turn these guys in. I cant take the risk of them harming my beauties from Kenny.

Chicago Discus
10-04-2012, 09:43 AM
thanks John.. i dont know if you saw my other posts but i am starting new with a 120 gal bare bottom for my new discus from Kenny. I guess I will just cut my losses and turn these guys in. I cant take the risk of them harming my beauties from Kenny.

I think thats a good plan Jamie if the pet store will take the discus back then just return them. I don't believe any of them are Stenkers but maybe Hans will chime in and give you a better guess. For the new fish that your getting from Kenny you will see a world of difference. They should do really well in your new 120 just keep your water changes up and make sure the tanks water perimeters are good.....Josie

John_Nicholson
10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Hans was down here as a TCA speaker many years ago and that shop bought one or two shipments from him and then stopped. The owner retired/sold the shop. I don't think they ever ordered from Hans again. I think they went the cheap route thinking that they were saving money...

-john

Dogvet06
10-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Hans was down here as a TCA speaker many years ago and that shop bought one or two shipments from him and then stopped. The owner retired/sold the shop. I don't think they ever ordered from Hans again. I think they went the cheap route thinking that they were saving money...

-john
good to know. My local store will definitely take them but i only get store credit. With 6 dogs and my tanks it will be put to use though :)

BobDaniel
10-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Don't forget to disinfect your aquarium that held these fish before the Kenny fish arrive.

Dogvet06
10-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks Bob thats the plan tonight..its a salt water tank i had set up that has been down for 6 months :)

BobDaniel
10-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Don't forget to disinfect hoses, nets, filters and similar items too!

Dogvet06
10-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Is bleach and vinagar the recommended disinfectants?

jimg
10-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Is bleach and vinagar the recommended disinfectants?bleach 2ppm min for 15 mins ( i usually use stronger) air dry or rinse VERY well. alcohol 15 min contact time. I also have been using and like povidone iodine (betadine)

BobDaniel
10-04-2012, 10:14 PM
or potassium permaganate. Add to water to make a bright purple and throw everything in. After 4 to 6 hours neutralize with a bit of hydrogen peroxide, drain and you'll be good to go.

Bleach works good too. Go with what you got at home.

Dogvet06
10-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Bleach is in and drying. Rinse tomorrow. Bleach worked well on walls getting old dry algae off ;). Going to paint bottom with textured spray paint to look like sand and going to play with back by sponging on a couple shades of blue. Will post pics when done. I'm excited. Now i just have to sell all my other tanks so i can just focus on this one!

Lab_man
10-05-2012, 06:33 AM
The difference between LFS discus and the discus from sponsors is astounding. To top it off, the discus from the LFS are more expensive!

Thank God I found Simply Discus when I did.

Thanks everyone for your help and dedication to our hobby.