PDA

View Full Version : Heater failure

Kal-El
10-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Damn first time a heater failed in one of my tank. Worst part that got be so mad was that it happen to my tank with all of my best discus . Good thing temp was only at 76F. Putting temp back to 84 with a spared now. I hope they don't get sick.

laupao
10-05-2012, 09:27 AM
sorry to hear about that... have you thought about using 2 heaters going into a temperture controller?

I have that set up and I trust it

Elliots
10-05-2012, 09:28 AM
That is a good reason to have two heaters in the tank and a seperate thermostat/controler. The other good reason is in case one heater sticks on you do not get boiled fish. That happened to me once.

Kal-El
10-05-2012, 11:25 AM
sorry to hear about that... have you thought about using 2 heaters going into a temperture controller?

I have that set up and I trust it

That is a good reason to have two heaters in the tank and a seperate thermostat/controler. The other good reason is in case one heater sticks on you do not get boiled fish. That happened to me once.

Thanks guys. I may have to do this in this tank as I cannot afford any of these guys to die. I have a potential show fish quality in this tank which is my favorite of my collection. The one in my Avatar.

Discus-Hans
10-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys. I may have to do this in this tank as I cannot afford any of these guys to die. I have a potential show fish quality in this tank which is my favorite of my collection. The one in my Avatar.

I may have to do this............... come on......... as you may know my second name is: 2 HEATERS!!!!!!!! You are very lucky it broke down in off, most break down on ON and before you know you've fish soup....... very expensive!!!!! Fish soup!

Hans

Kal-El
10-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I may have to do this............... come on......... as you may know my second name is: 2 HEATERS!!!!!!!! You are very lucky it broke down in off, most break down on ON and before you know you've fish soup....... very expensive!!!!! Fish soup!

Hans

The fish soup is something I hope I don't ever have to see or experience :P If this happen this morning I would had been so mad to the point of taking a long break from the hobby. Anyway, what do you guys recommend is a good temperature controller? going to get these to control two heater in case of one failed with ON.

Looking to get this one from Kensfish.com Link (http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/finnex-hc-0810-digital-heater-controller.html)

Trier20
10-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Let me guess...............marineland????

Kal-El
10-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Let me guess...............marineland????

Yep you're good... Assuming you have had bad experience also. I'll never getting another Marineland Visi-Therm Heaters again. I've had this for only two months. My Jager and Aqueon Pro Heaters hasn't fail yet and it's been over a year in used.

Link (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21322&cmpid=03csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525429711&catargetid=1570177067&cagpspn=pla)

ref0716
10-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Do you guys know that Marineland will replace defective heaters because they have a lifetime warranty? I own about 25 of various sizes. When I get 12-15 or so that have quit, back they go for replacement. The process starts with an email to Unitedpetgroup.com. They tell me to send them to Marineland in Virginia. A few weeks later, new ones arrive. It's like magic, no questions asked.
A Marineland VisiTherm will typically work for anywhere between a few weeks up to one year. Very few longer than that. I've had a few not work out of the box. So quality is certainly not there like it used to be before outsourcing to China, but the lifetime replacement saves the day.
On a positive note, over the last 5 years or so I have had many Visitherm heaters quit in the OFF mode. I can think of only one that stuck in the ON mode.
Controllers are nice but pricey. I subscribe to the Hans Principal and prefer 2 smaller units rather than one big one per tank. HTH
Richard

Trier20
10-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Do you guys know that Marineland will replace defective heaters because they have a lifetime warranty? I own about 25 of various sizes. When I get 12-15 or so that have quit, back they go for replacement. The process starts with an email to Unitedpetgroup.com. They tell me to send them to Marineland in Virginia. A few weeks later, new ones arrive. It's like magic, no questions asked.
A Marineland VisiTherm will typically work for anywhere between a few weeks up to one year. Very few longer than that. I've had a few not work out of the box. So quality is certainly not there like it used to be before outsourcing to China, but the lifetime replacement saves the day.
On a positive note, over the last 5 years or so I have had many Visitherm heaters quit in the OFF mode. I can think of only one that stuck in the ON mode.
Controllers are nice but pricey. I subscribe to the Hans Principal and prefer 2 smaller units rather than one big one per tank. HTH
Richard

They tell me I need a receipt.

Kal-El
10-06-2012, 04:21 PM
They tell me I need a receipt.

I'm going to call them on Monday to see if they can get me a replacement without receipt as I got this unit at a Fish Swap here.

Wjmulder
10-06-2012, 05:24 PM
I use the finnex max 300, but I only use 1 heater on it......love it and its cheap, ordering 2 more from kensfish for a couple more tanks.

laupao
10-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I use the Rancho temperture controller. Check out Jehmco

fdlacy
10-06-2012, 06:26 PM
I use the finnex max 300, but I only use 1 heater on it......love it and its cheap, ordering 2 more from kensfish for a couple more tanks.

Thats the controller I use as well. A great tip I read on SD somewhere (sorry I cant give credit as I dont remember where), is to use the controller set to the desired temp, but DO NOT set the heater thermostat to max. Set it to say 88-90. That way, the finnex can always turn the heater on as needed, but if the controller ever gets stuck on, the heater's thermostat will kick in as a safeguard and not boil the fish.

I find this a much safer setup than just setting the heater to max and letting the controller manage everything.

Regards,
Darren

tonytheboss1
10-07-2012, 12:44 AM
:bandana: BlueLine Biotherm Temperature Controller is worth a look. Jehmco 500 watt Titanium Heater w/ ETCI Controller is my choice. There are others. "T"

Elliots
10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
You can probably set the heaters to the temp you want and set the controller higher so it will turn the heat if one stays on. When I was young this happened to me (No Discus) and I pegged the thermometer! I do not know how high the temp was. It was a 10 gal tank and I was about 12 years old. Surprisingly not all the fish died. No I do not remember what fish I had it was 1960 but it was very traumatic to me. Probably more traumatic to most of my fish.

Kal-El
10-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Late update:

I try getting a replacement by calling Marineland but they will not replace the bad heater without a receipt. So won't be going back with this brand ever again.

Trier20
10-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Late update:

I try getting a replacement by calling Marineland but they will not replace the bad heater without a receipt. So won't be going back with this brand ever again.

Yup that's what I did too. They no longer get my business. I have a couple hundred dollars in heaters in a pile now. Great customer service!

jacjoe
10-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Richard

+1
I sent 11 back just last week. I have also been doing this for a couple of years now. I have only included a letter with the quantities, model/wattage, and reason for failure. My receipts are long gone. I have always gotten replacements. The last ones I sent back cost me $9.

I also sent an email to customer service after I shipped last week as notice defectives were on their way. I got a response in which they offered to reimburse me for the cost of the heaters if I would rather purchase heaters locally. I declined and told them to send replacements but I thought that was a very nice gesture. My experience has been good with their customer service.

Joe

Kal-El
10-20-2012, 11:41 AM
+1
I sent 11 back just last week. I have also been doing this for a couple of years now. I have only included a letter with the quantities, model/wattage, and reason for failure. My receipts are long gone. I have always gotten replacements. The last ones I sent back cost me $9.

I also sent an email to customer service after I shipped last week as notice defectives were on their way. I got a response in which they offered to reimburse me for the cost of the heaters if I would rather purchase heaters locally. I declined and told them to send replacements but I thought that was a very nice gesture. My experience has been good with their customer service.

Joe

Strange cause the person I spoke with said they will require prove of purchase. I told them I bought this new from a Fish Swap event put the declined it. What did you say to them to get them to take without receipt?

jacjoe
10-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Here is someone asking about a defective heater and manufacture's answer. This is directly from Marineland's website.

http://answers.marineland.com/answers/0597-en_us/product/3389/marineland-visi-therm-submersible-heaters-questions-answers/questions.htm

Question

is my heater defected ?

i have had a marinelab submersible heater for over 8 months now and everything is going great until now, i stated noticing the waters temperature is extremely high and the heater is still producing heat. i have it set to 78 degrees for my reef aquarium and when i come home accouple of hours later the temperature is at 86 degrees and the heater is still producing heat , any ideas of why this is happening ?
is my heater defected ?

answer

Hello,
Sorry to hear this. Your heater is defective. Please send the defective heater to:
UNITED PET GROUP
ATTN: WARRANTY
3001 Commerce Street
Blacksburg, VA 24060

Include a piece of paper inside with your name, address, and phone number and a brief description of the problem and we will replace your heater. You did not mention which type of heater it was. We make both the Marineland heaters and the Tetra heaters

HTH

Joe

Kal-El
10-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Here is someone asking about a defective heater and manufacture's answer. This is directly from Marineland's website.

http://answers.marineland.com/answers/0597-en_us/product/3389/marineland-visi-therm-submersible-heaters-questions-answers/questions.htm

Question

is my heater defected ?

i have had a marinelab submersible heater for over 8 months now and everything is going great until now, i stated noticing the waters temperature is extremely high and the heater is still producing heat. i have it set to 78 degrees for my reef aquarium and when i come home accouple of hours later the temperature is at 86 degrees and the heater is still producing heat , any ideas of why this is happening ?
is my heater defected ?

answer

Hello,
Sorry to hear this. Your heater is defective. Please send the defective heater to:
UNITED PET GROUP
ATTN: WARRANTY
3001 Commerce Street
Blacksburg, VA 24060

Include a piece of paper inside with your name, address, and phone number and a brief description of the problem and we will replace your heater. You did not mention which type of heater it was. We make both the Marineland heaters and the Tetra heaters

HTH

Joe

I will try the mail-in to the warranty depot and see if they will replace it.

ref0716
10-20-2012, 08:42 PM
A careful reading of Marineland's "Limited Lifetime Warranty" as packed with their heaters makes it clear that the unit will be replaced at any time of ownership by the original purchaser (no assignment or transfer allowed). There is nothing suggesting that "Lifetime" refers not to the owner's lifetime but to that period of time that a heater is expected to work (about 7 years or so according to Marineland in the link provided by Joe in Post #21). It seems to me that the use of the term "Lifetime" necessarily refers to someone who is alive. That position is strengthened when assignment and transfer (both human actions) are specifically not allowed. An aquarium heater does not have a "lifetime" in that sense. And where did 7 years come from? I have had other brands of heaters go longer than that, but never a Marineland Visi-therm.
Furthermore, there is absolutely no reference to any requirement for a receipt. A receipt only shows when the product was purchased; it doesn't matter if the warranty is "lifetime". It appears to me that Marineland does not have a leg to stand on relative to that issue.
I hope that others will share experiences here as well, so that we all may learn how good Marineland's warranty really is.
Richard

jacjoe
10-20-2012, 09:00 PM
I would also like to hear from ANYONE who has gotten "7 years or so" from any Marineland heater. I did get 3 years from a Stealth Pro even though they were recalled. Two of the 11 I sent back last week were Stealth's...one was still working fine. I would say that I have gotten anywhere from 4 days to 6-9 months from a Visi-Therm.

Please Note: Individual results WILL vary by model and wattage.

Joe

jacjoe
10-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Just an update. I received all 11 replacements FedEx today. :D I shipped them back on Friday the 12th and they arrived to warranty center on the 15th. The new ones were shipped out to me yesterday. Standard operating procedure from my experience.

Joe

Kal-El
10-25-2012, 05:04 PM
So it seems that you get better support via email than by phone. I will be shipping my defective heater this week out to the address below.

Email Communication.

From: US Aquatics Consumer Support <ConsumerSupport@unitedpetgroup.com>
To: XXXXX
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:32 PM
Subject: RE: Contact Marineland

No we will replace for you.

ML

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:06 PM
To: US Aquatics Consumer Support
Subject: Re: Contact Marineland

I no longer have the receipt will that still be an issue?

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 25, 2012, at 12:21 PM, US Aquatics Consumer Support <ConsumerSupport@unitedpetgroup.com> wrote:

> Hi XXXXX,
> Please return the heater along with your name, address and phone number and copy of receipt to the address below for a replacement.
>
> UPG Attn:Warranty
> 555 International Parkway
> Daleville, VA 24083
>
>
> ML

jacjoe
10-25-2012, 07:22 PM
There you go! Glad it worked out for you.:D:D

Joe

ashlerolds
10-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Had a visitherm for my 110 gal tank... about had a melt down when it failed (luckily in the off position) in the evening.... I live in a remote location without a close LFS for a replacement.... watching the tank temp drop overnight was nerve wracking.. getting up every few hours to add more hot water to the tank and stressing about my relatively new discus about killed me. Had to make an early morning run to walmart before work (of course they only had small heaters so had to buy 3 and they still coudn't keep the tank at temp) while I awaited my replacement in the mail... ordered the vistherm through Fosters and Smith and they did overnight a new one but still took 2 stressful days to arrive. I do appreciate the warranty and replacement, but within 2 weeks the new heater also failed. Never bothered to send it back because I don't want another heater I can't trust... now have 2 heaters of another brand and 2 "extras just in case" packed under the tank. Won't buy another visitherm......

Trier20
12-18-2012, 04:55 AM
Well finally got my replacements. What a PITA! Lol but they all came. Felt kinda like Christmas!77008
Now they will set on a shelf until I need them. Better then having a pile of broken ones I guess.