PDA

View Full Version : Water temperature dropping at night time in discus tank!!

T.aquatics
10-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Hello all,

I am very new to this forum! My name is Tony and I am currently owning 4 discus in my 65 gal tank. Problem is that the water drop from 84 degree to 82 degree at night time. My heater is the EBO jäger 300w heater. It's more than enough to support a stable temperature in the tank. But it's not doing a good job.... What I am currently using in my tank is eheim pro 2026 canister, air stone, sand gravel, plants, drift woods, and couple slate rocks.

My heater is currently fully submerged and is set at 85 degree. What can I do to keep a stable temperature??

Thank you!

Tony

willzy
10-06-2012, 05:42 AM
I've never kept a close eye on my heater during the night, however, what your explaining doesn't sound right.

Perhaps it needs to be recalibrated if that function exists? Usually when it drops below the set temperature it should automatically turn on and re-heat the water.

If the above fails, maybe you should look for a new heater or get a second heater.

Regards,

Will

aalbina
10-06-2012, 06:40 AM
What is the temperature of the room the tank is in at night? That's the problem. Heaters are usually rated to keep a tank at temperature given a room temperature no less than 68 or so.

In the winter in New England my house goes to 64 at night and my tanks routinely drop one or two degrees - it's never been a problem.

You may want to cover your tank with a top to help retain heat or insulated the back and sides with insulation styrofoam.

Adam

nc0gnet0
10-06-2012, 09:15 AM
For starters I am sure the discus werent bothered a bit. Try putting an airstone underneath the heater or any other means of providing some circulation in the general vacinity of the heater, as this will help stabilize your tank temperature. The heater is heating the water in the general vacinity to temp and then cycling off like it should, but the hot water is not being disbursed fast enough to all areas of the tank for it to overcome the difference in ambient temperature in the room.

Poco
10-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Couple of questions what is the room temp at night? Is your tank covered with a glass lid/canopy?

Eddie
10-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Not that big of an issue but if you are really concerned, you can insulate the tank to hold the heat.

Wjmulder
10-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I used to have this problem when the room temp swings were big, but since I added a controller the issue has gone away. Jäger heaters and finnex controllers. Not sure why it makes a difference but I'm happy it does.

aalbina
10-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I think climate has a lot to do with it. I use 2 x150 watt Yeager heaters turned up to 90 on a 55 and a Finnex controller but when my house temp is at 64 in the winter - tank temp still drops to 83 or so. I just don't worry about it.

Adam

Altum Nut
10-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I would agree a temp dropping 2 degrees is not anything to worry about.
If not already done, you may want to rest your heater on tank bottom on it's side which distributes heat evenly.
Another thing it if your measuring temp using those sticker type readings they will give you different reading near surface (cooler) compared to near the bottom (warmer).
In the end...Adam is right about room temp. and Eddie advise proves right as well with simple styro around tank sides.

...Ralph

Pardal
10-06-2012, 09:42 PM
They are two schools of thoughts one that want to mantain the same temperature stable in the tank all the time, and one that goes with nature as in nature temperature drops at night for obvious reasons (no sun) IMO the second one makes a stronger fish as it can handle better stress and had their internal biological clock more a tune with the day .
As Eddie says not big of a deal for a couple of degrees, and if it worries you use styrofoam for insulating. I will only be concern IF, you have your fish in garage or fish room that is not heated during winter.

Julian.

tonytheboss1
10-07-2012, 01:00 AM
:bandana: Agree w/ above. 2 or 3 degree swing is not major concern. For safety double chk calibration of heater & chk temp w/ more than one digital thermometer. "T"

T.aquatics
10-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Thank you for all your answers guys!

My tank is currently in the basement and because I live in Vancouver bc canada, the temperature does drop quite a bit especially when it's fall seasons. The temperature in my basement is around 64. I got the versa top lids to cover the tank. And my heater is sort of in a diagonal position going lengthwise. If the temperature drop slightly does not stress the fishes out then I am very happy!

Newbies tend to go overboard caring for their pets :P

Thanks again guys!

Tony

quangfee
10-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Thank you for all your answers guys!

My tank is currently in the basement and because I live in Vancouver bc canada, the temperature does drop quite a bit especially when it's fall seasons. The temperature in my basement is around 64. I got the versa top lids to cover the tank. And my heater is sort of in a diagonal position going lengthwise. If the temperature drop slightly does not stress the fishes out then I am very happy!

Newbies tend to go overboard caring for their pets :P

Thanks again guys!

Tony
64 degree is fine. It's not about your room temperature or night time. It's about Ebo Jager. It will drop down 2 degree then the it will reheat, and it might go down or up 1 degree when you unplug the power. The other cheap brand heaters are even worse, 5 or 6 degrees different. Aqueon and Eheim Jager will do a better job. They either stay constantly or 1 degree different.

DiscusLoverJeff
10-09-2012, 09:06 AM
If you feel uncomfortable with the difference in temps you can do what I do on my bigger tanks and have 2 heaters, one as a backup. My water temp does not change more than a half degree day or night.

Try to reduce the 300 watt to maybe 2 150 watt Eheim Jager heaters. The 150 watts are rated up to 75 gal. It could be a simple solution.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+23726&pcatid=23726

Good luck!

Jeff

quangfee
10-09-2012, 09:28 AM
If you feel uncomfortable with the difference in temps you can do what I do on my bigger tanks and have 2 heaters, one as a backup. My water temp does not change more than a half degree day or night.

Try to reduce the 300 watt to maybe 2 150 watt Eheim Jager heaters. The 150 watts are rated up to 75 gal. It could be a simple solution.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+23726&pcatid=23726

Good luck!

Jeff
+ 1

a volar
10-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I'll not worry about it......