PDA

View Full Version : How much are my Discus worth? (video included)

scarhbar
10-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Hey there Discus fans. I'm looking to sell all five of my 4"-4'5" Discus, for a variety of reasons. I'm a full time worker, full time student, and I'm going to start a family here very soon, so Discus are going to be a lot more work than I had initially anticipated for :(

They are in a 75 gallon (extremely messy) planted tank at the moment. Please don't judge the tank it's self. Just the fish! The video is probably pretty shaky too :/ ha let me know what you think on a price for all of them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApQO-mRLFoc&feature=plcp

John_Nicholson
10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Well you asked so here is my honest opinion ......assuming that they are healthy...and that is a fairly big assumption...I would say not a lot. Looks like you bought low quality fish store discus. I would think that if you can get $20 a piece you are doing well. Anything more than that would be gravy.

-john

discuspaul
10-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Would be nice to know what size they were when you got them & how much you paid for them, if just for the sake of knowing what you may lose on them by selling privately.

Discus of that size (& strains) that are obviously very healthy, well-shaped & obtained from a quality source will generally command prices in the $50. to $75. range, or so, at the retail level.
Your pics are not good - quite dark, and it's tough to get a good idea of their coloration and shape, and what condition the fish are in.
Yours don't look too bad from what I can see, but unfortunately, they don't look too good either - and the pigeon-blood based fish has some peppering and not a very good shape.
I believe the best you can likely get for them (to get a reasonably quick sale) would be around $25.-$30. each. If you try asking $40.-to $50., or more, you will not likely sell them very quickly, if at all.
Sorry, wish I could be more encouraging, but that's my take on it.

dpete9
10-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't know they look kind of boring to me. :alien:

JamesP
10-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Pigeon Blood looks very thin. I think you will be lucky to sell at all. The need to be fattened up before you try and sell them. Sorry but that is reality.

a volar
10-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Agree with John...

scarhbar
10-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Well you asked so here is my honest opinion ......assuming that they are healthy...and that is a fairly big assumption...I would say not a lot. Looks like you bought low quality fish store discus. I would think that if you can get $20 a piece you are doing well. Anything more than that would be gravy.

-john

I bought the Discus from Hans. The Pigeon already came with peppering. I can show you pics the day they arrived. Thank you for your honest opinion!

scarhbar
10-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Would be nice to know what size they were when you got them & how much you paid for them, if just for the sake of knowing what you may lose on them by selling privately.

Discus of that size (& strains) that are obviously very healthy, well-shaped & obtained from a quality source will generally command prices in the $50. to $75. range, or so, at the retail level.
Your pics are not good - quite dark, and it's tough to get a good idea of their coloration and shape, and what condition the fish are in.
Yours don't look too bad from what I can see, but unfortunately, they don't look too good either - and the pigeon-blood based fish has some peppering and not a very good shape.
I believe the best you can likely get for them (to get a reasonably quick sale) would be around $25.-$30. each. If you try asking $40.-to $50., or more, you will not likely sell them very quickly, if at all.
Sorry, wish I could be more encouraging, but that's my take on it.

As I told John, the Pigeon Blood came with peppering. He's also the fastest grower, and the largest in the tank. I honestly don't think he is really that skinny, but I'm no Discus expert here. That sounds like a good price!

John_Nicholson
10-08-2012, 05:53 PM
With that being the case I would ask for another video with proper lighting. What are you feeding them and how much water do you change?

-john

scarhbar
10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Pigeon Blood looks very thin. I think you will be lucky to sell at all. The need to be fattened up before you try and sell them. Sorry but that is reality.

I've gotten a few hits already, so selling them is not an issue, but people are wondering what price. I honestly do not think he is that skinny. If I feed him much more, he really starts to bulge, and it looks very unhealthy. But it could be that he's just bigger than the other ones, so he needs more food. Not sure. I guess I'll make him fatter?

scarhbar
10-08-2012, 05:56 PM
With that being the case I would ask for another video with proper lighting. What are you feeding them and how much water do you change?

-john

Ah, alright. I got rid of the driftwood in the tank, so it is much lighter. However, the camera is the issue. I'm glad I have one though. I feed them Ocean Nutrition Flakes 4 times a day. I do waterchanges whenever I can, which is not often. That's part of the reason I am looking to rehome them, because of the time commitment. But sure, I'll try another video.

catgoldfish
10-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Great looking tank.......

nickfish39
10-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Hey OP. I just had a chance to watch (and listen to) your video. I think you are doing the right thing selling those fish. Sounds like you have too much on your plate. I can relate. I'm working full time and finishing my Master's also... It's all about your priorities...
Since that isn't answering your question though, I will get to that. And of course this is just my opinion. The fish look very skinny. You want them to be as think and plump as you can get them. They also look a bit stressed and possibly stunted. I am with the others in needing to know how long you have had them and how much hey have grown during that time...
With that in mind I think max $20 a fish.

Good luck selling!

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scarhbar
10-08-2012, 06:32 PM

-john

there's the new video

scarhbar
10-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Hey OP. I just had a chance to watch (and listen to) your video. I think you are doing the right thing selling those fish. Sounds like you have too much on your plate. I can relate. I'm working full time and finishing my Master's also... It's all about your priorities...
Since that isn't answering your question though, I will get to that. And of course this is just my opinion. The fish look very skinny. You want them to be as think and plump as you can get them. They also look a bit stressed and possibly stunted. I am with the others in needing to know how long you have had them and how much hey have grown during that time...
With that in mind I think max $20 a fish.

Good luck selling!

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Alright, I posted a new video, so I guess check that out and let me know what you think? I think they are a bit stunted. I definitely should have kept them in a barebottom tank longer. But I have had them for 4 months, and really only got 2" of growth out of them. I'm thinking waterchanges could have been a big issue.

But I guess that's why I'm selling them. I will give them to someone with the time to take care of them.

scarhbar
10-08-2012, 06:36 PM
And as for the tank, ignore the stuff floating in the water. I just removed the driftwood, so stuff was floating around a lot, and the Discus were a bit spooked. But I'm not thinking they were that skinny?

Kal-El
10-08-2012, 11:25 PM
I watch the video and I have to be honest. They don't look too good. 15-20 at best. You might be able to sell it to local who just want cheap discus in there tank. Good luck.

Codiscusgirl
10-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm in Colorado and I would be willing to buy them for a reasonable price and give them a good home. I have a 120 gallon tank ready for Fish.

scarhbar
10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm in Colorado and I would be willing to buy them for a reasonable price and give them a good home. I have a 120 gallon tank ready for Fish.

What city??

Codiscusgirl
10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm in Falcon

scarhbar
10-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm in Falcon

Oh wow! I'm in the Springs! Send me an email at: scarhbar23@gmail.com

Poco
10-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Potential Happy ending! At least for OP.

Codiscusgirl
10-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Ok thanks!