PDA

View Full Version : Can 140 gallon BARE tank be used as a grow out tank?

Gethenet
10-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Reason I ask this, is do to room. I don't have room for another tank of any size really. I have a 140 gallon Oceanic show tank that I got for $100 brand new from the factory ( yes it pays to know people)..LOL It is currently setup with Angles...and live plants. I originally planned on setting it up for discus, but got scared. So I went another direction. I still kick myself about that choice, but want to go ahead and do it now. I have found a good home for the angles....and am willing to do a complete tear down. As the discus grow....I hope I will be able to adapt their tank to suit them. Eventually re plant and have a amazing planted discus tank. Does this sound like something that I can do? I have a fluval FX5 Canister filter on it, and two 300 watt heaters.

Thanks for your advice

joanstone
10-10-2012, 01:03 AM
If I was using it as a grow out, I just wouldn't fill it. You can increase the amount of water you keep in it as they grow. I would keep just the discus in it with sponge filters and heater while growing out. Makes for easy water changes which is important since you'll do lots if you want them to grow fast/properly.

Gethenet
10-10-2012, 02:01 AM
If I was using it as a grow out, I just wouldn't fill it. You can increase the amount of water you keep in it as they grow. I would keep just the discus in it with sponge filters and heater while growing out. Makes for easy water changes which is important since you'll do lots if you want them to grow fast/properly.
This makes a lot of sence....never thought about " Not filling" all 140 gallons......

Thanks for your input

quangfee
10-10-2012, 08:16 AM
This makes a lot of sence....never thought about " Not filling" all 140 gallons......

Thanks for your input
+1
But there's one thing that I'm worried is the top part of the tank will have some kind of hazing or damage on the glass, will it?

Skip
10-10-2012, 08:20 AM
+1
But there's one thing that I'm worried is the top part of the tank will have some kind of hazing or damage on the glass, will it?

why would it??

people buy brand you tank without ANY water... so fill up half would would not do any damage

Floppy Fin's
10-10-2012, 08:29 AM
Even with a low water level, you still have a huge water expanse for those little buggers to try to find the food. IMO, the size of the fry in growing dictates the size of the tank.
As per adults.. you would be fine with 14 large adults, but way too big for 140 young half inch fry.
Its a balance/water change/food thing.
Floppy Fins.

John_Nicholson
10-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Yes use it. It will be fine. I have raised fry in tanks up to 120....Anyone here think the amazon is smaller than a 140? Your fry will be fine.

At one time they made the Oceanic in Garland. You from Texas?

-john

Poco
10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
You can use a divider to restrict them in one part of the tank. I wouldn't do half fills as it will leave marks, which will be a pain in the neck to remove later.

How many juvies are you thinking about adding?

tonytheboss1
10-10-2012, 07:06 PM
:bandana: What about a smaller tank inside the 140g till they grow. Easier to maintain, easier for fry to find food. i don't know, just thinking out loud. "T"

lipadj46
10-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Get a big piece of poret foam to use as a divider and you can push it over as they grow. That way you can do less water changes due to the large water volume and you can easily vacuum the side with the fish

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Eddie
10-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Get a big piece of poret foam to use as a divider and you can push it over as they grow. That way you can do less water changes due to the large water volume and you can easily vacuum the side with the fish

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

+1 and you can actually use the foam as a filter using PVC and an air line.

DiscusDrew
10-10-2012, 08:11 PM
That was exactly what I was going to write, you simply want to constrict the space proportional to their size, which solves all problems and actually will make your grow out VERY easy in terms of water quality because you'll be running 140 gallons of water but dependant on their size they will only be having access to maybe 40 to start with and then increase size accordingly with the poret foam divider. That would be my approach.... OR buy a ridiculous amount of juvies to fill the 140 and then sell them off as they grow... but that is more expense and more work. Doing this in the manner described, regardless of the route you choose, will require a complete tear down of the tank for it to be effective.

geezzeus
10-10-2012, 11:59 PM
buying a ridiculous amount of juvies would be a sight to see....

random-cichlid
10-11-2012, 06:32 AM
yeah i vote for you to get at least 200 juvies :)

Gethenet
10-11-2012, 06:40 AM
Wow lots of great advice! Love it:D I am aware I will need to do a complete tear down...I don't want to, but know I have to in order to get what I want.
Speaking of the complete tear down... this tank is DEEP...28 in. Its a real challenge to do anything near the bottom. As I have stated in other posts....I was talked into doing a dirted planted tank when I set it up over a year ago. Now all that needs to come out....I was thinking " wet/dry vac"? Thats the only thing I can come up with.
As far as a " ridiculous amount of juvies" How much can I expect to pay for Juvies??

geezzeus
10-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm in the similar spot. I am cleaning my newly acquired and recently being cleaned and leak testing 125 gallon tank. Formerly a reef setup but c-list was kind to me the day I found it.

the stand just needs some TLC (buying sand blocks, spray primer and black paint and new hardware for the doors) and I'm in business. I have a 29 gallon community that I can use to grow out the fish but I think I'll be using that as my QT instead of a growout.

Good luck, can't wait to see some pics on what you're doing.