PDA

View Full Version : Could be worse

Dogvet06
10-10-2012, 08:25 AM
well i know i could have awakened to worse... much to my dissapountment my 3d background came unglued during night after filling tank with water. I let the aquarium sealant cure for more than recommended 48 hrs. Guess i will have to pull it off and live with a little black in the tank :(

Second Hand Pat
10-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Jaimie, you are having the worst of luck. At least the background is something you can live with.
Pat

Elliots
10-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Jaime, I think you are supposed to use a silicone type sealant for the background. You probably did. If the sealant is too wide or too thick it may take even longer to cure. If the temperature is low it takes longer to cure. Also the sealant may stay flexible if there is too much of it. Maybe you need some type of re-enforcement in the sealant? I also assume the sealant is fresh. I do not know how long sealant lasts in tubes before mixing. Good luck!

matt56
10-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Man that stinks but either way ive never minded the black overflow boxes myself, i have just never needed a sump so ive never gotten one :). And to me like somebody else on here said once you get your fish in there you wont notice the tank at all haha.

Matt

Oh ps: if your heater has to be submerged i recommend turning it horizontal so that even with a 50% water change you can leave it plugged it in, saves allot of time lol.

Dogvet06
10-10-2012, 12:12 PM
it was aquarium sealant..held well until the water went in..i think the water caused a change in temp causing it to move and loosen the sealant. nothing i can do now that water is in and fish come tomorrow. so i will rip it out tonight :( i have a large piece of driftwood to go in too so hopefully the small area of black wont matter :) im trying to stay positive. This tank is all I have to keep my mind off my chronic pain. i have a buldging disc in my neck that i see the neuro surgeon at the end of the month for. When the fish arrive i'm sure my pain will be less! crossing fingers!

Dogvet06
10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Man that stinks but either way ive never minded the black overflow boxes myself, i have just never needed a sump so ive never gotten one :). And to me like somebody else on here said once you get your fish in there you wont notice the tank at all haha.

Matt

Oh ps: if your heater has to be submerged i recommend turning it horizontal so that even with a 50% water change you can leave it plugged it in, saves allot of time lol.
i was going to place the heater horizontal but the instructions say not to....i have another heater in the wet/dry sump too.

John_Nicholson
10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Since it sounds like the silicone was not set make sure you do a large water change before the fish get here. If the silicone had been dried then it would not have been affected by the water.

Good luck.

-john

Dogvet06
10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
i was going to place the heater diagonal but the instructions say not to....i have another heater in the wet/dry sump too.
i just googled the heater and others are putting it horizontally and no problems so i will move it! thanks!

John_Nicholson
10-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Yep if you don't put it horizontal your fish will eventually lay eggs on it.

-john

Dogvet06
10-10-2012, 12:22 PM
ok will change the water tonight...guess it will be good practice!

Donno
10-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm wondering why you felt the need to put a cover over your overflow?

Dogvet06
10-10-2012, 05:39 PM
i felt the need to cover it to add asthetics and decrease the amount of black in the tank so it would not lead to peppering.

Donno
10-10-2012, 05:46 PM
I have a black background on my grow out tank and peppering hasn't been an issue except with my runt. I don't think that a corner of your tank being black is going to induce peppering.

Dogvet06
10-10-2012, 05:58 PM
This isnt just a grow out tank its my display tank too so i wabted it to look nice

DiscusDrew
10-10-2012, 06:14 PM
I have a black background on my grow out tank and peppering hasn't been an issue except with my runt. I don't think that a corner of your tank being black is going to induce peppering.
One of these days Im going to just sacrifice a group of my fry and put them in a controlled experiment where everything is the same except for background color, substrate, paint amounts, etc. Just to prove the point that through all of my breeding and otherwise I simply find the above statement to not be true. Ive seen a simple piece of driftwood bring peppering out of a pigeon based discus, let alone a black background which I can easily prove to have a devastating effect on even the BEST pigeon based fish's appearance. I do not mean this offensively I promise, Im just saying that in the occurance of peppering on pigeon based discus, there really is no argument that coloration in tanks WILL have an effect on the fish.

This is all assuming you realize peppering will only happen on pigeon based fish...

Eddie
10-10-2012, 07:40 PM
i felt the need to cover it to add asthetics and decrease the amount of black in the tank so it would not lead to peppering.

The bottom of the tank will have more of an impact on peppering than a dark background or objects in the tank. This can be seen very easily in planted tanks with dark backgrounds that have silica sand. The pepering will be a lot less.

DiscusDrew
10-10-2012, 07:51 PM
That I do agree with.

Dogvet06
10-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Well out of the 9 only 3 r at risk. One is a silver pb , fire red and golden diamond