PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Canister Filter

quangfee
10-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi, I assume that everyone here use fish water to clean the canister filter. Do you guys clean it on the same day with wc?

Eddie
10-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Fish water....as in tank water? It is good idea to use tank water but if you have an additional filter on the tank, you can use fresh water. Just alternate cleanings.

MKD
10-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I assume you do regular weekly wc or 2x per week, you can clean it every 2 weeks with tank water. it also depends on hwhat you feed and how many times per day. if you feed a lot, your canister filter get dirty quick then you have to clean it more often.

Edit: i did not know Eddie 's post until hit submit.

quangfee
10-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Fish water....as in tank water? It is good idea to use tank water but if you have an additional filter on the tank, you can use fresh water. Just alternate cleanings.
Thank you. yes, I meant tank water :), so it's ok for me to clean it on the same day with wc. I was told that it's better for the fish if I clean it on a different day with wc

quangfee
10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
I assume you do regular weekly wc or 2x per week, you can clean it every 2 weeks with tank water. it also depends on hwhat you feed and how many times per day. if you feed a lot, your canister filter get dirty quick then you have to clean it more often.

Edit: i did not know Eddie 's post until hit submit.
I c, thank you, I feed them about 4 to 5 times a day, but every time is only about 1 min or less. Does it count as a lot?

MKD
10-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes it count. I suggest to place pre filter sponge cover intake pipe. In the meantime clean it every week or 2 then if it's too clean you can extend it another week until you are confortable.

quangfee
10-11-2012, 11:34 AM
Yes it count. I suggest to place pre filter sponge cover intake pipe. In the meantime clean it every week or 2 then if it's too clean you can extend it another week until you are confortable.
I c, I'll do that, thank you

aalbina
10-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm on well water and so I clean everything straight from my tap. Well water doesn't have chlorine. Chlorine is what will kill the beneficial bacteria on a filter.

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

quangfee
10-12-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm on well water and so I clean everything straight from my tap. Well water doesn't have chlorine. Chlorine is what will kill the beneficial bacteria on a filter.

Adam

Soooo great that you can stay away from the smell of "prime"

aalbina
10-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Well not really - I actually chlorinate my aging barrels so I still use Safe (powder form of Prime) and I also want to be sure to bind up any heavy metals in my well water.

Adam

k7prz
10-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Wondering how much bleach per barrel (or per gallon) you use to sanitize your water storage barrel? I'd like to do this also.
Maybe a couple buckets to dip and rinse my Python pipe since members say not to use Net Soak.

Dave in Washington State

Well not really - I actually chlorinate my aging barrels so I still use Safe (powder form of Prime) and I also want to be sure to bind up any heavy metals in my well water.

Adam

aalbina
10-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Wondering how much bleach per barrel (or per gallon) you use to sanitize your water storage barrel? I'd like to do this also.
Maybe a couple buckets to dip and rinse my Python pipe since members say not to use Net Soak.

Dave in Washington State

Dave - I have a 65 Gallon barrel and I currently only use 6ml of chlorine bleach. I'm still working that out. To purify drinking water, my research has lead me to a formula of 2 tsp (9ml) to 10 gallon formula of household bleach (which is typically only between 5% and 6% chlorine.). I couldn't bring myself to add 59ml of bleach to my storage barrel (about 1/4 cup) so I started at 10ml. I age for 36-48 hours. The chlorine smell was still pretty strong after 24 hours so I dropped to 3. I spoke with a PhD chemist a the College where I work and he explained that chlorine is so unstable in water that is is likely completely gone after 24 hours. He indicated that 6ml in 65gal (about 23ppm) is miniscule. So I went back to 6 - and have been at that about for about 2 months with no issues. I know it's a small amount but I can't get past the smell at any higher level and still add that to my tank! It has stopped the organic growth I was getting in my aging barrel. HTH

Adam