PDA

View Full Version : New Wrigglers

farebox
10-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Well folks after five attempted spawns of my pigeon checkerboard, female, from Central Ohio Discus(Michael Beals) 3"- 10/14/11, and albino platinum, male, from Kenny's, 4"- 02/14/12, success at last. I have the pair in an 20G high tank with tds=84, ph=6.8, water temp=83F. I been using ro/di water mixed with tap to achieve tds 84, but only got eggs turning white, fungus, or only about 5 to 6 wrigglers. I have managed to have one fry from two spawns ago make it and now growing out. This time after putting the pair back into the 125G display tank for awhile. Notice the other day they were preparing to spawn, so I removed them and placed back into the 20G high tank. There is an breeding cone there, but they decided to lay the eggs on the right side of tank glass, next to the cone. After 48 hours, eggs started to hatch, but this time no white fungus, and maybe only a few white eggs. Took an photo of the hatched eggs and printed out on paper so I could count how many wrigglers I had this time. To my amazement I counted "99". Since it was like 3:00 am, went to bed happy. Woke up later on and first checked the tank and found that the parents had moved all wrigglers to side of the breeding cone, great! Now just waiting for them to go free swimming in a few days and attachment to the parents. Will lower water level and cover up the black sponge filter with white filter floss also. I feel the changes I made to water quality improved the spawn this time. What I did was use straight ro/di water and mixed Kent Marine R/O Right to it to achieve tds 84. Here in San Antonio,TX. we have very hard water, so for breeding I had to alter the water quality to some degree. So far so good, just glad to get these two to breed finally, been trying the last three months for some type of success with this pair. Please check pics: http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m536/ladycebu62/Breeding/
Thanks for viewing and if suggestions on caring for this spawn please respond.

Eddie
10-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Cool beans! All the best with them!

farebox
10-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Please check out update, free swimming today; http://s1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb436/farebox/Update/?action=view&current=IMG_0403.mp4

Trier20
10-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Congrats!