PDA

View Full Version : The first water change?

Dogvet06
10-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I've searched on here and cant find the answer.... When do you do the first water change when receiving new fish. I assume since you dont usually feed the first 24 hrs that you wait 48 hrs for first water change? is this correct? I dont want to ruin their settling in by taking their water away too soon. I didnt wait the 24 hrs to hold food from Kenny's group bc they came to the glass asking. I hope this was ok. they ate well! Hans pair I waited bc they were a little more timid. Also I have a python type siphon just different brand...those that use this..are you attaching to faucet to drain or only using it to fill?

MKD
10-12-2012, 11:28 AM
is this your new tank or established tank? If you just set it up and cycle then I would suggest how to do a big water change b4 receiving fish. If it is stable tank, I would suggest do water change as usual. In general I don't usually feed new fish and don't turn on light about 2 days.

have fun and enjoy new fish

Dogvet06
10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
brand new tanks using pure pond to cycle. fish came wed and thurs. tanks have been running 5 days for 29 gallon and 2 days for 120 gallon

Second Hand Pat
10-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Jaimie, when I receive new fish I like to do a daily 50% starting out (for a week) and will increase or decrease depending on size, how they are doing and eating.

MKD
10-12-2012, 11:59 AM
I haven't used pure pond to cycle, i always use old fashion fishless cycle method and takes couple weeks to fully cycle. If i was you, i'll definately make sure it's fully cycle and usually big water change before introduce new fish in. Have you checked your water parameter ammonia, nitrite & nitrate or perform any water change after 5 days?

Poco
10-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Jaimie, when I receive new fish I like to do a daily 50% starting out (for a week) and will increase or decrease depending on size, how they are doing and eating.

+1

New fish or not it is recommended to daily water change.

Brent1972
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I carry on as normal and I also feed them an hour after they arrive and up to now all have eaten :)

Eddie
10-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I hit with my best shot...LOL, 90% or more. Get them wearing their big boy pants early. They need to get used to your routine.

Dogvet06
10-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Sounds like they will both be getting a WC tonight! thats what i thought just wanted to make sure. water parameters so far no ammonia, nitrite and some nitrates present. will run water test before the WC and get exact numbers as i didnt wright them down

Eddie
10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Sounds like they will both be getting a WC tonight! thats what i thought just wanted to make sure. water parameters so far no ammonia, nitrite and some nitrates present. will run water test before the WC and get exact numbers as i didnt wright them down

Do you age your water?

Dogvet06
10-12-2012, 02:50 PM
no i dont sorry i dont have the space for it and never had any problems with water changes in the past with any of my aquariums.

matt56
10-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I waited until the next day because i got home with my fish at 1 am. LMAO (thanks for staying up late again rich!) But i dont see any harm in doing the water change the first day, they will get used to it faster.

Eddie
10-12-2012, 04:07 PM
no i dont sorry i dont have the space for it and never had any problems with water changes in the past with any of my aquariums.

Discus aren't just any old fish. They may/may not react to changes in water parameters but being safe is better than being sorry. Constant tiny stresses over time can turn into problems.

Dogvet06
10-12-2012, 04:16 PM
i know Eddie, i wish i had the space. Ive kept discus for many years and they never seemed to be affected by my tap water just didnt grow b/c i didnt change their water as often as i should or fed them as much as needed. I will be feeding more (bought automatic feeders for when im not at home) and changing the water more, but having barrels of water in my house is just not practical :( maybe when i move next year, my new house will have a place i can store the water.

Eddie
10-12-2012, 04:46 PM
i know Eddie, i wish i had the space. Ive kept discus for many years and they never seemed to be affected by my tap water just didnt grow b/c i didnt change their water as often as i should or fed them as much as needed. I will be feeding more (bought automatic feeders for when im not at home) and changing the water more, but having barrels of water in my house is just not practical :( maybe when i move next year, my new house will have a place i can store the water.

Understandable, but it does bring up the topic. If you weren't changing water often and in great quantities in the past, how do you know it won't bother them now?

Dogvet06
10-12-2012, 05:08 PM
true eddie.... i will talk to my husband and see if he has any ideas on how we can make this happen