PDA

View Full Version : white film in aged water?

laupao
10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
SD members,

For the past few weeks I decided to age my water in a 29 gallon tank (with the powerhead attached with garden house submerged into the tank)

I usually just fill up the 29 gallon tank with tap and add some prime in there and I've noticed the past couple of days the powerhead and the garden house develop some slime coat and there is a tiny bit of slime coat around the tank as well. When i look clearly inside the tank I see some white film floating around.

Is this what happens when I use prime in the aged water tank? will it bother the discus if I continue to do this OR should I just add prime into the display tank along with the aged water?

sorry for the long post. Please share your experience

thanks

Eddie
10-12-2012, 06:08 PM
Thats bacterial growth. Clean the tank and all the equipment really well and then DON'T add any prime or dechlor. Only add Prime or dechlor just prior to filling. I actually recommend adding Prime to the emptied tank and then filling from the aged tank so the aging tank NEVER gets dechlor added to it.

laupao
10-12-2012, 07:54 PM
got it Eddie... no more adding prime to the aged water tank...just add prime to the display tank then add the aged water in

thanks..

Eddie
10-12-2012, 07:55 PM
got it Eddie... no more adding prime to the aged water tank...just add prime to the display tank then add the aged water in

thanks..

Yup!