PDA

View Full Version : Are discus right for me?

LisaT
10-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Hello, I'm brand new here and have lots of questions. I have successfully kept tropical fish for the past few years (mainly cichlids and bettas) and I'm very interested in discus now that I feel I've mastered the basics of fish keeping. My first issue....I have hard water. Because I have a well, the numbers vary on a daily basis. I'm aware that discus require soft water. I was told that I could use a reverse-osmosis filter. Is this an effective way to soften water? Also, I have a fully cycled regular filter that I've been using in one of my tanks. Can I run that along with the reverse-osmosis filter? If so, do I still have to cycle the reverse-osmosis filter, or will I be able to put new fish right in? I've had up to 25 cichlids in that tank, so I think that the current filter could handle 6 baby discus.

Eddie
10-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Hello, I'm brand new here and have lots of questions. I have successfully kept tropical fish for the past few years (mainly cichlids and bettas) and I'm very interested in discus now that I feel I've mastered the basics of fish keeping. My first issue....I have hard water. Because I have a well, the numbers vary on a daily basis. I'm aware that discus require soft water. I was told that I could use a reverse-osmosis filter. Is this an effective way to soften water? Also, I have a fully cycled regular filter that I've been using in one of my tanks. Can I run that along with the reverse-osmosis filter? If so, do I still have to cycle the reverse-osmosis filter, or will I be able to put new fish right in? I've had up to 25 cichlids in that tank, so I think that the current filter could handle 6 baby discus.

Welcome to Simply Lisa! The whole soft water thing is a bit prehistoric. Back in the day it was about creating the same environment as their natural habitat. This still holds true for wild caught discus. But even then, some people keep wilds in hard water with success. The most important thing is stability in your water. If your water parameters change without notice, you may actually want to run water through an RO unit and remineralize it. What are your water parameters from tap?

I would steer clear of using media/cycled filter from another tank as it can cause issues with your new fish. Its kind of like skipping quarantine.

matt56
10-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Hi Lisa! welcome to the forum. My ph is around 8.3 after aging and gh is basically liquid rock, and im growing out 9 juvies right now and they are doing fantastically. But my water parameters are constant compared to yours. Like eddie said consistency in water is much more important then the actual parameters. But like eddie said as well since yours varies i would suggest using the RO unit and remineralizing it just to keep it consistant. The RO filter doesn't actually run off your tank. you hook it up to a water line (faucet tap into a pipe, etc.) and run water through it into a storage barrel, then pump the water into the tank after remineralization. I would suggest just getting a new filter and fishless cycling that to avoid diseases. If you are going with juvies i would recommend using sponge filters. Super reliable and super easy to maintain. Before you commit to discus i would suggest looking on this forum more in the beginner section. Read the stickies and ask any questions you have on there.

Matt.

LisaT
10-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear that discus can be kept in hard water. I'll start testing my tap water to see how much it fluctuates from day to day. Back to my current filter...I HATE the thought of cycling a new filter. The ones I currently use took forever. All of the fish in that tank have been in there for 2 years. I've never added to them, so I've never had ich, bloat, or any other fish disease....even still, you think I should get a new one and start all over?

matt56
10-12-2012, 05:02 PM
You just never know. I know theres a parasite in angels that doesnt effect them but if put in with discus seriously compromises them. So you just can never know for sure.

LisaT
10-12-2012, 05:05 PM
UGGG...ok, as a beginner I'm smart enought to take your advice. Here's to another 60 days of cycling!

Eddie
10-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear that discus can be kept in hard water. I'll start testing my tap water to see how much it fluctuates from day to day. Back to my current filter...I HATE the thought of cycling a new filter. The ones I currently use took forever. All of the fish in that tank have been in there for 2 years. I've never added to them, so I've never had ich, bloat, or any other fish disease....even still, you think I should get a new one and start all over?

Yes, start over.

You just never know. I know theres a parasite in angels that doesnt effect them but if put in with discus seriously compromises them. So you just can never know for sure.

Thats actually a myth Matt. There are many diseases that may not affect other fish that will affect discus. It all comes down to the individual fishes immunities.

matt56
10-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Yes, start over.

Thats actually a myth Matt. There are many diseases that may not affect other fish that will affect discus. It all comes down to the individual fishes immunities.

I see thank you for clearing that up eddie.

matt56
10-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Lisa i havnt tried this product for myself so i dont know for certain how well it works but inland empire discus is selling it and uses so it must be reliable. heres the thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?96202-PURE-AQUARIUM-bacteria-is-here.

Edit: just realized that was several months ago they might not be selling it still sorry if they arent and you wanted to try it.

Teshi
10-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I've used the Aquaripure balls and they do work. I think they are still being sold.

Chicago Discus
10-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Pure aquarium works great for cycling the tank you can put them in sooner than later.....Josie

I have some if your interested http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?98448-Pure-Aquarium-Balls

matt56
10-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Dang ill definitely have to use those to cycle my 55g angel tank im getting soon.

shoveltrash
10-13-2012, 05:30 AM
hi Lisa. another well water owner here......I ended up opting for RO. my water parameters fluctuated too much (tds from 400 to 900!). whatever you decide, start off by setting up an easy/user friendly water changing system or routine. I started by toting buckets (arg). then went to RO and set up a water storage container, and then yet another container, and now a third LOL. I do age & aerate my water, remineralizing with RO Right. water pumps are your friend :).
good luck - you will find great information on this forum, all at the click of a finger!

dghby
10-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Hi Lisa, Welcome to the Forums.
definitely start over with your cycle. it is a pain but well worth it in the long run. Discus are much more sensitive than most fish.
you have come to the right place, a wealth of knowledge exist within this forum.

LisaT
10-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all of the advice, it's greatly appreciated. Some of you suggested using Pure Aquarium, and other products that speed up the cycling process, but I had very bad luck when I tried it once (not sure if it was the same brand). I was doing a fishless cycle using amonia. Things were moving slowly, so I dumped it in and my cycle completely stalled. If I remember correctly, I had to change most of the water in the tank to get it moving again. I'd like to give it another shot, if it will speed the process, but I'm a little nervous.

I just checked the link and it's definately not the same product, but do they all work the same?

matt56
10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Well from my understanding theres 2 different products for cycling at the moment. The bacteria in a bottle which i assume is what you used, then theres these things which are just gel balls that dissolve bacteria as its needed. So you add your fish then plonk in the required amount of balls and in a few days add some more then wait a week or so and add a couple more every week if you want or it should be cycled after a week or two i believe (what ive read off the the threads for these). People have had great results and im definitely using it for next tank.

Eddie
10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all of the advice, it's greatly appreciated. Some of you suggested using Pure Aquarium, and other products that speed up the cycling process, but I had very bad luck when I tried it once (not sure if it was the same brand). I was doing a fishless cycle using amonia. Things were moving slowly, so I dumped it in and my cycle completely stalled. If I remember correctly, I had to change most of the water in the tank to get it moving again. I'd like to give it another shot, if it will speed the process, but I'm a little nervous.

I just checked the link and it's definately not the same product, but do they all work the same?

I actually use Tetra Safestart all the time and my filters cycle. EVERY time!