PDA

View Full Version : Good Book?

Frooty
10-12-2012, 06:20 PM
So I've been wondering what a good book for Discus would be. Honestly I still have to convince my parents to let me get discus, so I want to be mature and show them that I really am motivated. I would like to get it under 15 dollars but anything below 30 would do. By the way I know this belongs in the book section but I have a feeling that no one will see it so please don't move it.

Poco
10-12-2012, 06:49 PM
No need to post multiple threads with the same question.

Chicago Discus
10-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Hey welcome fellow Chicagoan there are some good books out there you an check out......Josie

Let me think about one to recommend

How old are you?

Frooty
10-12-2012, 09:29 PM
13, I know I'm young but I still think I can do it. And Poco I was asking about a book, I don't remember posting anything about a book before.

Frooty
10-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Oh sorry I think I reposted by accident :P Should I delete it and move to the other one?

Chicago Discus
10-12-2012, 09:51 PM
It's so nice that your interested in discus ok well Trophy Discus By Dick Au is good to start with

matt56
10-12-2012, 11:27 PM
I feel your pain with parents ;). Im 16 and i had to convince mine even though i was paying for everything haha. I basically learned everything on this site and if you explain to your parents this is probably one of the best sources for info im sure they will accept it.

BobDaniel
10-12-2012, 11:49 PM
The first really helpful discus book I read was Wattley's Handbook of Discus. You should be able to find a used copy for around ten bucks. Dick Au is another old timer who knows his stuff. With your budget, you might consider both books.

With discus, go with whatever techniques work for you! Read the stickies on this website, too! You'll learn a lot!

Frooty
10-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm sure they'll come around some time :) Just need to do some explaining and hopefully they will say yes!

Kal-El
10-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Wow, great to see such young kids into discus keeping... it is an expensive hobby as your tank goes from 1-2-3-4-5 and so on when your love for more discus grow. You will always see one you have to buy even though you shouldn't. Anyway, good luck with convincing your parents.

Frooty
10-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks :) I've been interested in fish for awhile now, and I am considering even becoming a Marine Biologist if all goes well.

ozone
10-13-2012, 08:55 AM
You want to get these, they are the best I have come across. Perfect for the budding young marine biologist and well worth the extra money: http://www.diskusdesign.net/

DiscusLoverJeff
10-13-2012, 08:59 AM
In my opinion, the best book is the Simply Dicsus forum and library. This sight, if used correctly can offer you a world of knowledge. Some of the best in the world of discus are right here!

Rick S
10-13-2012, 03:52 PM
So I've been wondering what a good book for Discus would be. Honestly I still have to convince my parents to let me get discus, so I want to be mature and show them that I really am motivated. I would like to get it under 15 dollars but anything below 30 would do. By the way I know this belongs in the book section but I have a feeling that no one will see it so please don't move it.

Hi Joe, I started keeping tropical fish at the age of thirteen but I would have to agree with Jeff on this one, you will learn more on this forum than from any book out there. Your money would be better spent on water changing equipment and quality Discus to start with. Keep reading and asking questions.

Good Luck, Rick