ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter recommendations

Registered Member

Default Filter recommendations

Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. Currently runnning 2 Fluval G6 filters on a 75 gallon display tank for 2+ years and have had nothing but headaches. Have sent back to manufacturer a total of 3 times due to problems with the impellers and flow rate! Just cant seem to get them working right no matter what I try. Looking to get something more reliable perhaps the Eheim 2217 or Rena XP4. Anybody here have any suggestions?

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: Filter recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Syncopex2 View Post
    Hello,

New to the forum and looking for some advice. Currently runnning 2 Fluval G6 filters on a 75 gallon display tank for 2+ years and have had nothing but headaches. Have sent back to manufacturer a total of 3 times due to problems with the impellers and flow rate! Just cant seem to get them working right no matter what I try. Looking to get something more reliable perhaps the Eheim 2217 or Rena XP4. Anybody here have any suggestions?
    I have used a Eheim 2217 for more than 2 years in my 80g tank with no problems. I recommend it.

Real Name
    Mike

XP3 for years and I would recommend it.

Registered Member

I do not know whether canister filters work better than HOB filters but HOB filters are so much easier to use. I have never had one leak. They are easier to clean. I use AQ (Aqua Clear) with prefilter sponges. To clean the AQ filters the media comes right out in a cradle, couldn't be easier. They self prime. The biggest problem I have had is the impeller was stuck, I touched it and bingo, it started. I do not know if cost is an issue but HOB filters cost a fraction of what a canister costs. I have an Eheim I bought when I started my 150 gal but I never hooked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliots View Post
    I do not know whether canister filters work better than HOB filters but HOB filters are so much easier to use. I have never had one leak. They are easier to clean. I use AQ (Aqua Clear) with prefilter sponges. To clean the AQ filters the media comes right out in a cradle, couldn't be easier. They self prime. The biggest problem I have had is the impeller was stuck, I touched it and bingo, it started. I do not know if cost is an issue but HOB filters cost a fraction of what a canister costs. I have an Eheim I bought when I started my 150 gal but I never hooked it up.
    +1, AQ's with pre-filter sponges. I run 2 AQ 70 on my 75 and have crystal clear water with what many would consider an overloaded tank..
    Jorge Q

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusBR View Post
    I have used a Eheim 2217 for more than 2 years in my 80g tank with no problems. I recommend it.
    I have had my eheim for awhile now and really like it. I have heard good things about the xp4 though too. If you want HOB I think AC is the bomb

Registered Member

I have 2 aqua clear 110s on my 75 gallon and love them. They are easy to service, They Keep the water crystal clear, And you have a lot of options as far as media to use. Canisters are just one big pain in the butt to service. Lot of people will tell you its to much flow but my fish love it

Had bad experience with leaking on a eheim pro 3e. From some reviews the pro 3 models have a leak problem from the priming button. My eheim ecco300 works well so far though. I would recommend the fluval FX5 as is also very good workhorse. Perhaps the high tech g series and 3e models are just too high tech where more prone to problems. Simple filters like classic eheim and fluvals are tried and true and probably much more dependable.

I have also been using jebo filters with no problems so far, funny how it's 20% of the cost of a similar eheim pro 3 model. (i would reommend this as a second filter only, because I don't know how it will fare long term)

On my 125g display in the dining room, I use an Eheim 2026 and a 2028. One did develop a leak, but the company responded quickly and sent the replacement part without charge. I find them to be outstanding in quality, quietness, and ease of use. I clean them out about once every 6 months.

I also use AQ's on a breeding tank (except when fry are too small), and on a growout tank. They are easy to clean, but I find them a little noisy. But I'm happy with them in the fish basement . . . I also use sponges in those tanks.

Registered Member

I agree that these new high tech filters are more trouble than they're worth. I learned my lesson the hard way on that. I have been reading good things about the ehiems. Used to run HOB filters but were just too noisy compared to the canisters.

Registered Member

I have 3 AQ less than one year old and they make almost no noise. I cannot say anything about older filters nor can I say how long the ones I have will last. I have AQ110 and AQ 70 I think, if not an AQ 70 it is an AQ 60.
    Last edited by Elliots; 07-19-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Real Name
    Matt

Amazon has the Flistar xpM on sale right now for $101 it's rated for 75gal
    that is a steal and it's a great canister filter.
    I run 2 of these on my 85gal and they are quiet and very easy to maintain.
    KCCO!

Registered Member

I had a Rena XP3 for a year and had nothing but headaches! That thing would never prime itself w/o me messing with it for 20mins and it finally started to leak. $115 filter lasted one year. Aquaclear HOBs all the way. HOBs are less of a hassle to clean too.

[QUOTE=Elliots;1015027]I do not know whether canister filters work better than HOB filters but HOB filters are so much easier to use. I have never had one leak. They are easier to clean. I use AQ (Aqua Clear) with prefilter sponges. To clean the AQ filters the media comes right out in a cradle, couldn't be easier. They self prime.

Do the new AQ filters self prime?? Mine doesn't.

Real Name
    TONY

I have 3 AQ less than one year old and they make almost no noise. I cannot say anything about older filters nor can I say how long the ones I have will last. I have AQ110 and AQ 70 I think, if not an AQ 70 it is an AQ 60.
    I've had my two Hagen A/C 500's (now 110's) for more than ten years. Broke the impeller on one & replaced it like the second year & that's it. Worked like a charm ever since on several different tanks over the years. Aqua Clears longevity & success is based on a simple basket design that allows you to customize your filter media to suit your needs. Tons of water movement. As for canisters, both Rena XP4 & Eheim 2075, although a bit more expensive, have served me well. They don't require maint. as often as the HOB. The combo have my water crystal clear. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast