ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 110g Beginner Discus Tank

Default My 110g Beginner Discus Tank

So far, all get along very well. The juvies eat everything and run the tank. They eat as food drops, but they also wait for it to fall under the manzanita wood and plants. Gonna attempt to make my own food. Been reading the sticky "food recipes". I love their behavior. I've kept pretty much everything over the years. Only had these guys a very short time and have really noticed they rely on each other and they are starting to react as I walk to the tank.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nick Klimkowski

Default Re: My 110g Beginner Discus Tank

Looks nice, are you going to be making beef heart? Make sure to give them a veried diet other than beef heart.

I intend to do a beef heart mix, omega one veggie flakes and pellets, frozen blood worms, and maybe some Mysis. Anything I should avoid or add to that? I did find the beef heart next door to my job. They closed so never asked if they can clean it for me.

Nick Klimkowski

Quote Originally Posted by we4wieners View Post
    I intend to do a beef heart mix, omega one veggie flakes and pellets, frozen blood worms, and maybe some Mysis. Anything I should avoid or add to that? I did find the beef heart next door to my job. They closed so never asked if they can clean it for me.
    If you can find some one to clean the beef heart for you, do it! It will save you a lot of time.

Real Name
    Mario

I like the setup of the tank, good luck with little ones.
    Please be aware that the clown botia are very tricky, in daylight the are very calm buy at night swim all over and can butcher the fish especially the small ones. One good thing about them the are excellent cleaners of left overs.

Lovely tank

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyrazz View Post
    Lovely tank

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Thanks!

I just made my first batch of beefheart meal for the fellas. Uhm, I had to clean it myself...a bit gross. Anyway, cleaned it, chooped it into blocks. Added along with spinach, paprika, fish oil vitamins (punctured capsule), Omega One veggie pellets, bloodworms, shrimp, garlic, and dissolved multivitamins. Flattened it in a freezer bag and froze it. I am hoping these guys are gonna dig it.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Also it is perfectly fine to only feed a good BH mix. A good mix has everything thay need in it and I have raised several generations on nothing but BH. Having said that it can be hard to keep the water quality up in a planted tank. BH will probably make that worse. That is why I seldom suggest raising discus out in a planted tank. In the long run your fish will suffer.

Good luck.

-john
    Please check out http://forum.discusnada.org/

SOS Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Also it is perfectly fine to only feed a good BH mix. A good mix has everything thay need in it and I have raised several generations on nothing but BH. Having said that it can be hard to keep the water quality up in a planted tank. BH will probably make that worse. That is why I seldom suggest raising discus out in a planted tank. In the long run your fish will suffer.

Good luck.

-john
    Not quite sure if 6 Vals in a 110g is considered planted.
    However, thank you for the advice. I am still trying to figure out how much to feed at each feeding as to not disturb my parameters. Im very regimented in my WC routines as well as my parametric monitoring. Have had the same routine for well over 10 years, it's part of why I love this hobby. However, if I do notice some problems due to the batch, I will consider different recipes as you suggested plain BH. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are not suffering.....

New PB. I am new to these guys and find it very cool how they all socialize together despite the strain.

Quote Originally Posted by we4wieners View Post
    Not quite sure if 6 Vals in a 110g is considered planted.
    However, thank you for the advice. I am still trying to figure out how much to feed at each feeding as to not disturb my parameters. Im very regimented in my WC routines as well as my parametric monitoring. Have had the same routine for well over 10 years, it's part of why I love this hobby. However, if I do notice some problems due to the batch, I will consider different recipes as you suggested plain BH. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are not suffering.....
    Its the substrate that causes the problem and not the planets themselves.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

The juvie in the first pic was sick when I got him and I am not sure if he's recovering. He is eating and active, but he is not very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Nicholson View Post
    Its the substrate that causes the problem and not the planets themselves.

-john
    John, '
    When I do WC's I am very particular to vacuum the sand. What in the substrate causes problems? I am asking because I found my substrate to be beneficial to the tanks past inhabitants. I am not familiar with the impact on discus. The group of cories and loaches do a fantastic job at cleaning the substrate.

First I want to say that it can be used. it just makes it harder on you. The number one thing that discus( especially juveniles ) need is clean water. To grow them out to their full potential you need to feed heavy. This will produce lots of wastes from the fish and lots of uneaten food. It is very easy for the substrate to cover/hide this. It is all about the water quality.

-john

SOS Crew Texas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast