AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Flash wanted Nikon D5500

Default Flash wanted Nikon D5500

I am thinking of purchasing a flash for the Nikon, but no way am I going to pay for a speedlight, for the amount of times I think I would actually use it, will a cheaper make work ok, or could mess up my camera as the handbook suggests ?

IF so any suggestions

Last time I had a flash unit was with an old Zenith 35mm SLR way back in 1985 , I think they may be more advanced now

Default Re: Flash wanted Nikon D5500

Quote Originally Posted by Blademan View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing a flash for the Nikon, but no way am I going to pay for a speedlight, for the amount of times I think I would actually use it, will a cheaper make work ok, or could mess up my camera as the handbook suggests ?

IF so any suggestions

Last time I had a flash unit was with an old Zenith 35mm SLR way back in 1985 , I think they may be more advanced now
    Don't know what you have in mind as far as budget goes. I personally use the speedlight. I got a few SB800 used a few years ago for $200 each.

Real Name
    Dave

check out the used flash heads at KEH.com you can get your speedlight at a reduced cost

Many pros when they upgrade equipment will sell their old equipment to Keh, B&H, Adorama, or other retailers to offset the cost of the new gear.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    Don't know what you have in mind as far as budget goes. I personally use the speedlight. I got a few SB800 used a few years ago for $200 each.
    I am in China so can buy other brands which all look very good ? very cheaply, but I was concerned that the manual says use only Nikon products or it could damage the camara.

Would something like this work ?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...ucket=3#detail

TB2mC4EapXXXXXOXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!2109764757 (1).gif

TB2mC4EapXXXXXOXXXXXXXXXXXX_!!2109764757 (1).gif
    Last edited by Blademan; 06-30-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Not sure if they would ruin your camera but I suspect it will be the same as using other non Nikon electronics (like the battery grip). While there are those who have success using generic brands, some works better than others with more consistency. I buy a lot of my camera stuff used so I never pay new retail price. When comparing that to generic brands, I am not paying that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscusOnly View Post
    Not sure if they would ruin your camera but I suspect it will be the same as using other non Nikon electronics (like the battery grip). While there are those who have success using generic brands, some works better than others with more consistency. I buy a lot of my camera stuff used so I never pay new retail price. When comparing that to generic brands, I am not paying that much more.
    Ended up ordering a Neewer VK750 11 TTL speedlight, read lots of reviews very good comments so lets see should arrive 6th July cost about $45