ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: cichlid lake salt?

Registered Member

Default cichlid lake salt?

My fry are about to be free swimming and I am slowly working on switching to mostly tap water. I was wondering if I could use cichlid lake salt to up the amount of calcium so I don't get another batch of fry with deformed dorsal fins.

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: cichlid lake salt?

Cichlid lake salt You do not have to add any kind of salts, just gradually change over to 100% tap water and they will turn out okay.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Cichlid lake salt You do not have to add any kind of salts, just gradually change over to 100% tap water and they will turn out okay.
    While I agree, it might be a good idea to test the hardness of straight tap some areas do have soft tap water.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    While I agree, it might be a good idea to test the hardness of straight tap some areas do have soft tap water.
    OP's water would very hard if I am not mistaken in one of his threads he posted that his TDS from tap was 350-375
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Yes, my water is near 400ppm.

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
    Yes, my water is near 400ppm.
    Then do not worry about adding calcium, you can not tell what went wrong with your last batch of fry for sure.Just gradually change to tap water like I mentioned before,start feeding newly hatched baby brine shrimps roughly five days after the fry attached eventually up to 6 feeds a day and daily large water changes and you will be on your way.When the fry are four weeks old cut down the baby brine shrimp to 3 to 4 feedings a day and go to beef heart mix.
    Quote from Colin Powell