AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Figuring out these discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Figuring out these discus

I can't seem to figure out these discus. I had 8 and lost 2 they all seemed energetic and then 2 of them went into the corner and went almost black and stopped eating then died. I now have 6 and have noticed that a couple are doing the same thing again. However they all eat like crazy when I feed them and I also noticed that they have a pecking order on who is the top of the chain. Here is some pics of what I am dealing with.

20160520_130111.jpg

They go nuts eating

20160520_130156.jpg

This guy is the top of the chain I have noticed

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...520_132454.jpg

When they see me they go up to the front of the glass

20160520_133456.jpg

same thing when I sit down.

I am not sure if the clown loaches are causing them stress. I don't see them constantly harassing them all the other tank mates leave them alone. I plan to move them out with the rummy nose tetras and corys at month end into an aquascaped 105 gallon I am doing. I hope this helps. I would post a pic of the discus when they go black but since the back of my tank is painted black you can't really see them.

I do 50% water change 5 out of the 7 days a week.

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Figuring out these discus

When Discus turn dark , it's a sure sign of stress or disease and since you have lost some, disease may have been the cause.You will have to medicate all of them.Move them all to a Quarantine tank.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

What's your water schedule change like ? What type of filtration are you using ? Do you soley feed frozen bloodworms ?

Their environment isn't ideal. It might be a water quality issue.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by Cichlids View Post

I do 50% water change 5 out of the 7 days a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by nolefan View Post
    What's your water schedule change like ? What type of filtration are you using ? Do you soley feed frozen bloodworms ?
    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Their environment isn't ideal. It might be a water quality issue.
    Water quality issuse with a schedule like that OP did mention "I do 50% water change 5 out of the 7 days a week."
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

The water is quite hard here. They will not be in that tank for much longer before I move them over. The new setup up will have fluval canister filter w/o carbon with an inline uv sterilizer follow by a CO2 injection inline on the output side. Right now I am just running a aquaclear filter. I feed them bloodworms/pellets/flakes/brine shrimp and beefheart.

Real Name
    Naz

Mike a couple of suggestions when you do your new setup insert a foam on the intake of the fluval canister filter and do not use CO2 in the night.
    Quote from Colin Powell

Real Name
    Filip

Transfer them in a QT-BB tank and change 80-90% water daily , siphon the poop and food remaining after eating .
    Give them a couple of weeks with this regime and they will recover .

My guess is that dirty substrate and maybe dirty filters causes bacterial and nitrate issues , and the only thing that compensates a bit and keeps discus alive are frequent WCs that you preform.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Mike, part of the problem you are having so being a beginner with discus and maintaining them in a planted tank. If you are new to both it would be best to learn the skill sets separately (planted tank and discus) and combine them in the future. I doubt the new setup is going to help you maintain the discus well. Do a little research on both and see what you think.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Akili View Post
    Mike a couple of suggestions when you do your new setup insert a foam on the intake of the fluval canister filter and do not use CO2 in the night.
    I have it set on a solenoid that has a timer that works at the same time that the lights are on. No light No CO2.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Mike, part of the problem you are having so being a beginner with discus and maintaining them in a planted tank. If you are new to both it would be best to learn the skill sets separately (planted tank and discus) and combine them in the future. I doubt the new setup is going to help you maintain the discus well. Do a little research on both and see what you think.
    Pat
    been reading this forum and I don't see myself keeping may fish in the new setup

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-Discus-tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Transfer them in a QT-BB tank and change 80-90% water daily , siphon the poop and food remaining after eating .
    Give them a couple of weeks with this regime and they will recover .

My guess is that dirty substrate and maybe dirty filters causes bacterial and nitrate issues , and the only thing that compensates a bit and keeps discus alive are frequent WCs that you preform.
    I think that the loaches are also a stress factor for them and they will soon be removed as well. I might start doing 90% daily next week I just need to move the heater and filter intake down to accomadate such large water changes.

These fish are not like anything else I have had over the past 30 years.

Real Name
    Mark

I agree with Pat. 1st learn the water conditions with the fish in a bare bottom tank. Doing a planted tank is an experienced level of Discus keeping. In a planted tank your Discus will seem fine in the first few months but then "surprise"! illness, sickness and death just instantly happen. And really it's because a beginner discus keeper didn't learn about proper care. Goodluck.

Real Name
    Mark

Oh I have 4 Discus with 2 clown loaches and 2 tiger loaches in a 40 gal tank with no problems.

Just wait...I don't know about tiger loaches but clown loaches grow very large. They are also very active. They are not good tank mates for Discus.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast