AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filthy filter

Registered Member

Default Filthy filter

I've been missing fish lately and wondering who the culprit is. well today after cleaning my filter and turning it back on i have "tuna flakes" if you will, floating all through my tank. Pulled off the hoses and nothing stuck in hole. Must be carcasses stuck inside somewhere. I'm assuming if I ignore this it's going to affect my water. How do I get at them any suggestions? Do I need to bleach out my hoses? Also I need a good lesson in filterization for my new tank that I'm setting up as a discus tank hundred gallon 6 foot tank will a 406 canister be good enough filter should I be getting something better suggestions please
    Last edited by Bc chick; 07-07-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Correction

Registered Member

Default Re: Filthy filter

Im also thinking this could be my problem for those who were replying to my oil slick thread

Registered Member

No one?

Registered Member

Personally I'm stumped as to how a fish could get in let alone all the way through to be able to spit scales out the output???

If it were mine I would more than that one filter doing to job. I have two big canister filters on my 75gal.

Real Name
    Jason

What kind of fish are "going missing"? What is stocked in this tank?
    Usually the only fish that end up getting sucked up by a filter are sick ones and small fry. Even the smallest of fish usually dont get sucked up by the biggest of filters.
    You need to tear down your filter and clean it, hoses and all if this is what's happening.
    Then I would put a sponge over the intake to keep the dead fish from going in there.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Personally I'm stumped as to how a fish could get in let alone all the way through to be able to spit scales out the output???

If it were mine I would more than that one filter doing to job. I have two big canister filters on my 75gal.
    It doesnt constantly come out. Only when i turn off then back on. Does this tell you something?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jason.M View Post
    What kind of fish are "going missing"? What is stocked in this tank?
    Usually the only fish that end up getting sucked up by a filter are sick ones and small fry. Even the smallest of fish usually dont get sucked up by the biggest of filters.
    You need to tear down your filter and clean it, hoses and all if this is what's happening.
    Then I would put a sponge over the intake to keep the dead fish from going in there.
    Neon and rummies r missing. 65g 2plecos 1 cat 2 angels neons and rummies

Registered Member

yes but what if it is stuck inside hose. Will bleeching it get it out?

Real Name
    Jason

No bleach won't get it unstuck. You need to tie a rag on a piece of wire or use a hose cleaner.

Real Name
    Jason

How big are the plecos and what kind? They will sometimes take small fish if they are big enough and the right variety of pleco.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    EJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bc chick View Post
    It doesnt constantly come out. Only when i turn off then back on. Does this tell you something?
    Yes, it sounds like you need to clean your filter better. It's also a good idea to run a second filter so your biological cycle isn't interrupted, although if you are rinsing you media in tank water it shouldn't kill off that much of your bacteria. It's still a good idea though.

Registered Member

How big are the plecos and what kind? They will sometimes take small fish if they are big enough and the right variety of pleco.
    3 1/2" plain pleco not sure what kind and my fav, 2" vampire

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJ_B View Post
    Yes, it sounds like you need to clean your filter better. It's also a good idea to run a second filter so your biological cycle isn't interrupted, although if you are rinsing you media in tank water it shouldn't kill off that much of your bacteria. It's still a good idea though.
    Thx but i meant does it tell you something as to where the fish could be stuck

Registered Member
    Real Name
    EJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bc chick View Post
    Thx but i meant does it tell you something as to where the fish could be stuck
    Well like the others have mentioned, I really don't see how they could have gotten sucked into the filter unless you don't have any type of strainer on your intake pipe. My guess is they were probably eaten.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

the crud that comes out when u turn on the filter is debris that lines the insides of the tubes for your filter. i just ignore them. im def not dismantling my filter and hoses every time i clean the filter media. if u shake the hoses a bit u can get some to dislodge

plecos will eat fish carcasses. they can strip a fish down to just the spine in no time
    Last edited by Kyla; 07-08-2016 at 01:11 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast