ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus Eggs?

Registered Member

Default Discus Eggs?

Hi All,

I'm a discus newbie can you help me id if these white bubbles on my filter intake are eggs?

Just rock home tonight and saw one of my discus guarding these tiny bubbles.

Thanks

image.jpgimage.jpg

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: Discus Eggs?

They are eggs for sure but chances are that they may not be fertile as the are laid on the intake where there is too much turbulence.How old are your Discus?
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Registered Member

Thx Akili. I think the parents are atleast 1 year old. When will the eggs change colour if fertile?

Real Name
    Naz

Quote Originally Posted by minniedt View Post
    Thx Akili. I think the parents are atleast 1 year old. When will the eggs change colour if fertile?
    In about 56 hours the eggs will hatch.Since your a newbie I suggest you do some reading on breeding in this section http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...reeding-Discus Breeding discus is not easy and is time consuming. Also read this http://www.discusnada.org/breeding-discus/
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Normally fertile eggs have a reddish brown color, like caviar. They could be fertile on the intake though probably not on the outflow. They'll generally fungus over within 36 hours if their not viable.

Registered Member

They will turn white if they aren't fertilized, the young adults may eat them before you find out.
    However they might not, the fun part of breeding discus is , you may not know or you may.
    Keep us posted, it's alwYs interesting and fun.
    Cheers mate!