ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New tank transfer

Registered Member

Default New tank transfer

I have 3 discus in a 36 gallon tank and am purchasing a 55g tank tomorrow. I intend to transfer the water from the 36g tank, 2 pieces of driftwood, the filter I am currently using and the fish to the new tank. Will this effectively cycle my new tank? I currently do 50% daily water changes and will continue this in the new tank as well. Any input or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Real Name
    Naz

Default Re: New tank transfer

Beneficial bacteria lives on surface area within the tank and filtration system, it does not live in the water column.Driftwood and the filter will give you a jump start on the cycle.
    Quote from Colin Powell
    "There are no secrets to success; don’t waste time looking for them. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty to those for whom you work, and persistence. You must be ready for opportunity when it comes"

Real Name
    Ryan

Yep... What he said. Start with all new water. Its just a 100% WC. if you dont do anything to the filter but move it over then it should be a near insta cycle. I keep extra sponge filters running in most tanks. It allows me to throw tanks up in a hurry and not worry. Just plop the filter in and continue feeding & WC schedule.
    Have you gotten your hands wet today?

Registered Member

Ok, sounds like a good plan then. Thanks for the replies.