AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Registered Member Luke in Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Luke

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

I made a BCB in a canister filter. It seemed to work really well for a while (~year) but stopped. It now does zero nitrate removal so I removed it this week and am all in on an algae scrubber. I posted the BCB in a canister filter on youtube. I've seen this happen a few times. It seems like the laterite absorbs nutrients and cleans the water at first until it gets full? Similar to carbon but seems to suck up nitrate also. I believe other people have probably gotten it to work but it shouldn't be this complicated...

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Okay, it's good to hear somebody else stopped using this system. Not bashing the anoxic filtration system, just like to know the long-term effect, thanks Luke for your response.

Registered Member

I use it in my sump in addition to regular bio AND a purigen reactor. My goal here is extra insurance and not as an alternative to WCs. For clay Im using oil-dri (ace hardware) and for iron I mixed in some flourite red and flourish iron. Packed it all in and old 300 micron filter sock and closed it with a zip tie. Easy and cheap.

If it stops working for you, Id pull the basket out and squirt some flourish iron on the clay, maybe the bacteria in it just starved?

Curious if anyone is still using these systems? It was a pretty long term thread and discussion.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

A long time again, when I was studying for a Masters Degree at Rutgers University, I took a graduate course in nitrogen metablism. That was 50 hours of lectures, discussing multiple technical papers on nitrogen transformations, midterm, final and a term paper. Since then, I received a Ph.D. in microbiology, specializing in biochemistry. I can say, with absolutely certainty, that denitrification does not occur in an aquarium.
    Last edited by Willie; 07-08-2024 at 10:02 PM.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Just curious, given that there are denitrifying bacteria out there in the soil. Cannot set proper anaerobic conditions in an aquarium, or risk vs reward too high? Also always seemed like the BCB tanks success rates varied proportunately to the # of plants also in the tank.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I love to hear from other people who have discus fish tanks and the use the anoxic filtration and what success they had in long-term usage. People post how good things are going at first but never hear again how their fish and tanks are doing using this system.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Agreed Roland, in these cases usually no news is bad news and they don’t want to report

Real Name
    Willie

Trying not to be a jerk here (not easy for me ), but it's very simple to prove efficacy. Measure nitrates with your test kit, run the system, then re-measure nitrates. If the system works, nitrates will drop. It not, then the system doesn't work. I've watched 8 - 10 experts on YouTube touting such a system and no one runs this very simple test.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Trying not to be a jerk here (not easy for me ), but it's very simple to prove efficacy. Measure nitrates with your test kit, run the system, then re-measure nitrates. If the system works, nitrates will drop. It not, then the system doesn't work. I've watched 8 - 10 experts on YouTube touting such a system and no one runs this very simple test.
    I could be wrong Willie but if you read the back posts in ths thread there were people who did exactly that and reported.. There are 50 pages of discussion. Quite a few people tried this system. It seems like it worked for them in the short term at least.... I think though.its the type of system that by its nature starts to fail over time because it did work to a degree which probably changes the bacterial populations and anoxic/anaerobic conditions. This process exists in nature but in tanks I just think its not likely long term solution.. Anaerobic/anoxic conditions are not good for oxygen dependent fish.. If you think about it.. because its anoxic it requires alot of area for nitrates to diffuse
    if its going to have any major effect.. I would assume that theres an area in the filtratrion that transitions from anoxic to anaerobic to aerobic. This filter system relies on anoxic conditions. Thats just really hard to maintain in a fishtank

Disclaimer.. Im not promoting it.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-11-2024 at 12:33 PM.

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    Okay, it's good to hear somebody else stopped using this system. Not bashing the anoxic filtration system, just like to know the long-term effect, thanks Luke for your response.

Roland looking back on the thread I read your experiences with the system. Can I ask how long you tried it and why you stopped? Did the system stop working like Lukes?

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Yes, I did give ago a few times, the first time I think I made the BCB baskets placed in the sump, which went for about 5 months, the second time I made a big basket and again in the sump for about 6 months. I didn't get the results other people were claiming. It just didn't work out for me and I just went back to basic bio-media and can say my tank has been just as good as what Dr. Novak claims his filtration system is.

Thanks Roland ..Appreciate the shared experience Here!
    al

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    ...I would assume that theres an area in the filtratrion that transitions from anoxic to anaerobic to aerobic. This filter system relies on anoxic conditions. Thats just really hard to maintain in a fishtank

Disclaimer.. Im not promoting it.
    So the solubility constant of oxygen in water is 30 ppm. If it's wet, it has 30 ppm of oxygen in it. Certain facultative anaerobes can survive at this level of oxygen. Denitrobacters are obligate anaerobes and cannot denitrify nitrate to nitrogen when any oxygen is present. The fact that there are low oxygen spots in the aquarium does not mean that all anaerobes can exist, much less function. If you look at these reports, they've either had water changes or are heavily planted. Without plants, there is no way to remove nitrate in an unplanted aquarium without making water change.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    So the solubility constant of oxygen in water is 30 ppm. If it's wet, it has 30 ppm of oxygen in it. Certain facultative anaerobes can survive at this level of oxygen. Denitrobacters are obligate anaerobes and cannot denitrify nitrate to nitrogen when any oxygen is present. The fact that there are low oxygen spots in the aquarium does not mean that all anaerobes can exist, much less function. If you look at these reports, they've either had water changes or are heavily planted. Without plants, there is no way to remove nitrate in an unplanted aquarium without making water change.

Willie Agree 100% on the need for an anoxic environment for this to work and how in a tank thats not happening.

However I have to ask..

]So the solubility constant of oxygen in water is 30 ppm. If it's wet, it has 30 ppm of oxygen in it. Certain facultative anaerobes can survive at this level of oxygen. Denitrobacters are obligate anaerobes and cannot denitrify nitrate to nitrogen when any oxygen is present.
    This implies that denitrification does not occur in any aquatic environment..even in a natural setting? Is that what you believe to be true?

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast