AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354

Thread: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

One has to wonder if the successes reported here were not from Anoxic denitrification at all but were from

Aerobic Denitrification

see here..

website

it would seem.to be more likely to occur in a fish tanks.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" eliminates nitrates? Anyone tried this?

The page asserts that aerobic denitrification can occur, but not that it does. It'd be great if the full reference (Alvarez et al, 2014) is cited so we can review the actual publication. The owner of Dr. Tim's Aquatics wrote his doctoral dissertation on nitrogen metabolism in the aquarium (vs waste systems) and concluded that denitrification does not occur in fish tanks.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    The page asserts that aerobic denitrification can occur, but not that it does. It'd be great if the full reference (Alvarez et al, 2014) is cited so we can review the actual publication. The owner of Dr. Tim's Aquatics wrote his doctoral dissertation on nitrogen metabolism in the aquarium (vs waste systems) and concluded that denitrification does not occur in fish tanks.
    Willie I am going to keep playing the devil's advocate here because your back ground in microbiology means I can and it makes for an interesting discussion on the forum. No way I can pass that up.

You mentioned the owner of Dr. Tims concluding that denitrification does not occur in fish tanks?
    Dr Tim Hovanac

On his website, There is this article he wrote awhile back discussing a research article on the subject . He was using the research article I believe to explain why his 4.5 year planted south American tank does so well but the article also looked at non-planted environments and denitrification.

https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/aquar...itrogen-cycle/

I haven't read his thesis though I am familiar with who he is...its not listed on his website so if you have it and woukd like to share I would enjoy reading it. The above article is an interesting read.

.The study is entitled: Nitrification and denitrification in the rhizosphere of the aquatic macrophyte Lobelia dortmanna L. by Nils Risgaard-Peterson and Kim Jensen. Published in the May issue of Limnology and Oceanography Volume 42, issue 3 pages 529-537......

They found that in the sediments without plants, there was a zone of denitrification in the sediments which released dinitrogen to the upper chamber. They suspect that the ammonia supplied in the lower chamber is subject to nitrification in the sediments and then quickly to denitrification, which produces the dinitrogen. Thus nitrification and denitrification are said to be coupled....
    .plants was much different. Here there was oxygen in the upper 4 mm, then went to zero from 4 to 9mm. But then oxygen increased from 9 mm to 23 mm sediment depth. Further, they found that ammonia was consumed in both these aerobic areas and there were peaks of nitrate production in the middle of the two aerobic zones. Therefore, in the sediments of the chambers with plants, they found that there were two zones of denitrification which were characterized by low (nearly zero) oxygen concentrations. Above the first anaerobic zone and between the two anaerobic zones were zones which had much higher oxygen values. In the second aerobic zone at 9 to 23mm was the plant root system. They found that the plant roots had a significant effect on the sediment chemistry by pumping oxygen into the sediments. They also found that nitrification and denitrification were stimulated by the presence of the plant in the sediments.

The results of this experiment can be applied to the home aquarium with some caveats. First, not all plants are the same. Some plants transport more oxygen to the area around their roots than others. Thus, some will stimulate the nitrification-denitrification process more or less depending upon their ability to put oxygen in the sediments. So a blanket statement that all plants release oxygen in the sediments would be incorrect–more research would have to be done to categorize various typical aquatic plants.
    So the article Dr.Tim reviewed did in fact find Denitrification occuring in a non planted environment/ tank scenario and in planted tank scenarios where there was an anaerobic condition. To me it seems to imply that given a certain set of conditions denitrification in an aquarium setting can occur.. These experiments done were literally standardized aquariums with and with out plants.

If you would like to download the complete research article its free here..

Nitrification and denitrification in the rhizosphere of the aquatic macrophyte Lobelia dortmanna L. by Nils Risgaard-Peterson and Kim Jensen. Published in the May issue of Limnology and Oceanography Volume 42, issue 3 pages 529-537......

https://aslopubs.onlinelibrary.wiley...1997.42.3.0529

I will admit I read through it but its chemistry heavy so I will go with Dr.Tim's Synopsis. The lead author of the Article has multiple articles under his name on this subject that maybe worth a read too.
    Nils Risgaard-Petersen
    Senior Scientist in Microbial ecology, Aarhus University

https://scholar.google.com/citations...A70AAAAJ&hl=en
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 07-14-2024 at 06:16 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354