Dennis Discus     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

  1. #1
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,437
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    You guys might remember that I stepped away from horses last year when I lost my old man. When I need a horse fix I go to my daughter's house. She has three horses, two are hers and one belongs to her horse buddy Megan. Diana also uses the same farrier I used for years. His name is Clayton and he is very much a southern red neck but it suits him and he is well respected for his farrier skill. When Clayton goes to Diana's house to do her horses, Nautica is the only one who wears shoes and Clayton hot shoes. So here is Clayton doing his trade.

    Preparing the new shoes.

    Hot Shoeing

    Making sure the new shoe fits.

    Ensuring the new shoe fits

    Final placement of the shoe.

    Hot Shoeing Pat Husband

    Finishing touches.

    New Shoes
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening


  2. #2
    Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Aussie living in Cincy
    Posts
    3,035
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Daniel

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Wow Pat, that's really cool. Obviously since the horse is not bucking and pulling away the red hot shoe doesn't hurt the horse. So it basically melts into the horses hoof then?
    Never seen that before. Thx for sharing!

  3. #3
    Homesteader RogueDiscus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    3,043
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Steve

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Yea, I had to google it. Learn something every day. I bet that smells great

  4. #4
    Moderator Team LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    10,459
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    I've never seen it either. I've only had horses that just need trimming every 6 weeks. Why does your daughters horse need shoes, and fancy hot shoes at that?
    Mama Bear

  5. #5
    Homesteader RogueDiscus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    3,043
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Steve

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Doesn't she do jumping? I've read it protects from cracking, etc.

  6. #6
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,437
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Wow Pat, that's really cool. Obviously since the horse is not bucking and pulling away the red hot shoe doesn't hurt the horse. So it basically melts into the horses hoof then?
    Never seen that before. Thx for sharing!
    Thanks Danny and the hot shoe does not hurt the horse at all. The outer hoof wall is make from the same material as your fingernails so no feeling in the hoof wall.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening


  7. #7
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,437
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Yea, I had to google it. Learn something every day. I bet that smells great
    Actually I did not notice a smell Steve. Remember the blacksmith hammering on a horse shoe in a coal bed in western movies. This is the modern version of that. lol
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening


  8. #8
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,437
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I've never seen it either. I've only had horses that just need trimming every 6 weeks. Why does your daughters horse need shoes, and fancy hot shoes at that?
    Nautica is a thoroughbred Liz and they are not known for having the best feet. Diana did jump Nautica but he has been retired to flat work due to his age. He needs shoes in the front to keep him sound. We have tried letting him go barefoot but he does not remain sound.

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Doesn't she do jumping? I've read it protects from cracking, etc.
    She does Steve but not Nautica now. He is 27 now and he loves to jump. Only flat work for the boy now and shoes keep him sound for riding.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening


  9. #9
    Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Aussie living in Cincy
    Posts
    3,035
    iTrader
    0
    Real Name
    Daniel

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    By "sound" Pat do you mean the structural integrity/ strength of the hoof? Prevent splitting?

  10. #10
    Moderator Team LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    10,459
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Pat, I don't know if I'm right, but by mulling it over in the back of my mind, I decided that if the feet didn't hit the ground correctly it would throw the entire movement of the horse off and that would lead to injury, especially leg injuries. Did I guess right?

    My 31 year old mare is a failed racing quarter horse. She has lost all her back teeth, but she does is walk (and sometimes run) in the pasture. My old age genetic problem is my falling apart back which prevents me from riding her. It's what old age does to all animals. The weakest part starts to fail first and the others follow in order. It's just a fact of life. I'm happy for Nautica that your daughter cares for him so well and that she also does ground work with him. I'm sure that a horse like him loves to work.
    Mama Bear

  11. #11
    Registered Member + MVP - May 2020 coralbandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Saratoga NY
    Posts
    1,001
    iTrader
    2 (100%)
    Real Name
    Tom

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    I would think the hot shoe is like custom made supports or whatever ..
    Clayton just molds the hoof and shoe together for perfect union , instead of trying to get to conform to the other ?
    Nice !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFp68wjRUU
    ^^ My fish room tour by Richsfishes ^^
    Got rams ?

  12. #12
    Moderator Team LizStreithorst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Moselle, MS
    Posts
    10,459
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I would think the hot shoe is like custom made supports or whatever ..
    Clayton just molds the hoof and shoe together for perfect union , instead of trying to get to conform to the other ?
    Nice !
    Yeah, I bet that's why the hot shoe is more custom than a regular hoof trimming shoeing. I can't wait until Pat gives us the real answers. I think we're right.
    Mama Bear

  13. #13
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,437
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    By "sound" Pat do you mean the structural integrity/ strength of the hoof? Prevent splitting?
    Yes Danny, shoes for Nautica serve in a very similar role that shoes serves us. It protects the foot so the horse can move without hurting his hooves. Also the shoes prevent splitting and cracking. Not all horses wear shoes BTW.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening


  14. #14
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,437
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Quote Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
    I would think the hot shoe is like custom made supports or whatever ..
    Clayton just molds the hoof and shoe together for perfect union , instead of trying to get to conform to the other ?
    Nice !
    Hi Tom, sort of. Clayton first removes the old shoe and then trims the hoof. The hoof is trimmed such that the hoof is level on the ground and balanced with the other three hooves. Horse shoes come in various sizes so Clayton takes a new shoe sized for Nautica's foot, heats it in the furnace then pounds it into the shape of Nautica's hoof. In the B&W photo above Clayton rests the shoe on the hoof to ensure it fits correctly. So the shoe is made to confirm to Nautica's foot so you were close.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening


  15. #15
    Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    30,437
    Blog Entries
    4
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

    Default Re: Time Honored Profession of Hot Shoeing

    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Pat, I don't know if I'm right, but by mulling it over in the back of my mind, I decided that if the feet didn't hit the ground correctly it would throw the entire movement of the horse off and that would lead to injury, especially leg injuries. Did I guess right?

    My 31 year old mare is a failed racing quarter horse. She has lost all her back teeth, but she does is walk (and sometimes run) in the pasture. My old age genetic problem is my falling apart back which prevents me from riding her. It's what old age does to all animals. The weakest part starts to fail first and the others follow in order. It's just a fact of life. I'm happy for Nautica that your daughter cares for him so well and that she also does ground work with him. I'm sure that a horse like him loves to work.
    Liz, if a horse is not trimmed or shod correctly it can cause all sort of problems. So yes, it could inhibit proper movement of the horse causing foot and leg injuries, cause misalignment of the spine, create soreness in all sorts of places and creates an unhappy horse. Of course saddle fit and an unbalanced rider can have similar effects.

    I wonder Liz if you could ride your mare at a walk bareback and totally relax and let her movement move and free up your back a little. You would need to totally relax and allow your body to move with the horse. It is a rather cool feeling...almost liberating.

    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Yeah, I bet that's why the hot shoe is more custom than a regular hoof trimming shoeing. I can't wait until Pat gives us the real answers. I think we're right.

    Very close Liz and yes, the hot shoe provides a more exact fit then cold shoeing.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Cafepress