AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Newbie discus keeper

Registered Member

Default Newbie discus keeper

Hi, my name is Ryan and after a long stint keeping freshwater rays I’ve finally taken the plunge into keeping discus. I’ve always wanted to keep wilds and was doing a tank reset when the local shop got some in so thought no time like the present. They’re currently feeding on freeze dried blackworms brine and hopefully get some beef heart and pellets they’ll get the taste for. They reside in a 600gallon Blackwater tank with Corydora, black neons a couple domestic angels that my daughter picked out. Temp is 84-86 ph 6 tds is 60ppm ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates somewhere below 5 low load on this tank. They get 100percent rainwater changes as were on tank water. Not an ideal grow out tank but it’s all I had there currently 3” trying to source a couple more to expand the group. slIMG_6438.jpgIMG_6443.jpgIMG_6433.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Newbie discus keeper

Nice tank and welcome to the site!

If you've kept Rays you will have no problem with Discus, even wilds. Rays are actually my favorite fish but I don't have tanks large enough to keep them.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Carter

That tank is beautiful!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Nice tank and welcome to the site!
    Thanks everyone, they’re similar to rays in someways same water requirements. I did love my rays even this tank was too small when they hit adulthood I wouldn’t do them again in anything less than 1000gallon plus.

Any thoughts on if these guys are looking alright? Stunted? I’m still very green been reading all the newbie stuff on site.

The fish look fine. Most but not all wilds have a greater eye to body size ratio.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

I like the aquascape; looks natural for discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Very nice and want a larger tank. I contemplate a 180, not sure if/when I’ll pull the trigger

Registered Member

few photos from tonight there starting to settle in well. I can Definetly feel the discus bug biting
    IMG_6544.jpgIMG_6584.jpgIMG_6585.jpg

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan3434 View Post
    ...Any thoughts on if these guys are looking alright? Stunted? I’m still very green been reading all the newbie stuff on site.
    These guys look fine for wild discus, in fact better than average. To my eyes, they look like tank spawned and tank-raised wilds rather than wild caught fish. The reality is that most adult wilds are stunted - by the standards of domestic strains. They come in with over sized eyes, typically elongated shape and ragged finnage. The wild is not an optimal condition. Your fish will eat more in 10 minutes than what they can get in the wild in a week.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

That’s great information thank you, I do recall reading majority f1 fish will obtain bigger sizes than wild caught when I was researching altums. Will adding a few more to the group remove the dominant fish somewhat? One discus is Definetly taking over the pack or are some discus just more aggressive than others?

Real Name
    Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan3434 View Post
    That’s great information thank you, I do recall reading majority f1 fish will obtain bigger sizes than wild caught when I was researching altums. Will adding a few more to the group remove the dominant fish somewhat? One discus is Definetly taking over the pack or are some discus just more aggressive than others?
    I always have had one or two fish that are more dominant. They are just working out the hierarchy. For me, I found it taking a few weeks to a month before there was peace and they understand who is who. Wouldn't hurt to add more discus though, especially in a 600g 😉.