ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Once upon a time.....

Default Re: Once upon a time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    That is good question since I been adding some seachem alkaline buffer ( maybe I should switch to just baking soda). I don't add much just to raise to barely a 2 KH and my PH stays stable enough. My 125 and 90 have been stable at PH 7.3 7.4 but I have a bag of coral in the sump. The 29 with the pair since I change the water every day it's staying around the same maybe a little higher since after aging i been getting 7.3 - 7.5. My TDS well water is around 190 - 200 with a KH 0 GH 5 - 6. PH before aging about 5 - 5.5. I have to make Al spill all his secrets he also has well water.
    Chuck your water is about the same as mine in the well.

So lets start from the beginning.. Please post exactly what you do for the water you use in your breeders tank. Include water change amount and frequency. Both when theres no eggs and when there are eggs. I know you probably posted this elsewhere in bits and pieces. But lets put it all together.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Water parameters 50% well 50% RO 8 grams of Seachem Alkaline buffer age min 24 hrs. agitation and air stone to a PH of 7.3 - 7.5. Heated to 84 F (after it gets pumped to my tanks the temperature drops about 1-2 degrees ).

The breeder tank (29 gallon) before eggs I do a daily 50% water water change and continue after the eggs are removed.
    When they spawn I remove the Eggs and place them in a container @ 82 F with RO water TDS about 6 - 10 and 3 drops of MB until wigglers. I do a 20% RO water change on the container with the eggs daily I don't do a lager water change due to the location of the eggs on the cone.
    Once they are close to wigglers I start mixing some tank water. At wiggler stage I remove the cone from the container and put it in the tank with the cage around it for a few hrs and then remove the cage.I wait another 24 hrs and lower the water level and stop the water changes. This time I also stopped feeding at this point.

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

20240211_180416.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 02-28-2024 at 10:14 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Chuck I think you are hurting yourself here by making it far more complicated than it has to be. Theres really no need for half of what you are doing... plus..

At wiggler stage I remove the cone from the container and put it in the tank with the cage around it for a few hrs and then remove the cage.
    Is concerning. The fry are attached to the cone by adhesive glands on their foreheads. Removing the fry as wigglers like that maybe weakening the glands prematurely and damaging the fry delicate skeleton.. could explain defects.

Next spawn lets make it simple. Water in the breeder tank using ro water.. let the pair lay eggs. Screen eggs and do not mess with the pair or tank until the eggs hatch and free swimmers attach. You can do small water changes to remove crude while eggs.. feed adults 1 small meal per day while on eggs.. do not bother feeding once eggs hatch until.they attach. Once wigglers go free swimming and attach remove screen and cone and start changing over to tap water.

You can lower the water level to the back of the discus to help attachment and remove the sponges (store in a bag) for a few hours.

Thats really it in a nutshell. KISS. Keep.it simple

What I described is what I do here to a T.
    If possible cover the front of the tank to prevent you from disturbing the pair.. some pairs dont need this but it wont hurt.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-28-2024 at 01:17 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Water in the breeder tank using ro water.
    Plain RO no buffers just aged?
    Just Call Me Chuck

Plain RO no buffers just aged?
    I use a little of my tap to add in trace minerals.. My mix here is usually 80-90% RO, 10-20 % Tap. Try that and see what your TDS is.. I'd be really surprised if your hatch rates were not as good as with your straight RO. You obviously have a fertile pair.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I will try that. But remember I have no KH in my tap just GH.
    Just Call Me Chuck

I will try that. But remember I have no KH in my tap just GH.
    Your waterchanges on the pair will keep the pH stable and if it drifts down, it doesn't matter. If you slack on water changes kH is critical as pH will crash, but pH drifting down and crashing are two different things. In your grow out tanks where there is alot of biofiltration going on, KH can be real important. The week or so from egg to free swimming really should not matter if you minimize the feeding of the pair. If you want to add some buffer to bring the kH up a a few degrees, It should be fine. The point here is to start at the basics and only do what you need to do to get a good hatch and attach. Everyone's water is different so you start at the basics first.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

This is a super interesting sequence of posts guys. Rooting for you Charly. I said it before and will say it again in agreement w Liz, beautiful pair. Really hope you crack the code on raising their young! Whoop

I do appreciate the advice and encouragement and this is the direction I am heeding.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Your waterchanges on the pair will keep the pH stable and if it drifts down, it doesn't matter. If you slack on water changes kH is critical as pH will crash, but pH drifting down and crashing are two different things. In your grow out tanks where there is alot of biofiltration going on, KH can be real important. The week or so from egg to free swimming really should not matter if you minimize the feeding of the pair. If you want to add some buffer to bring the kH up a a few degrees, It should be fine. The point here is to start at the basics and only do what you need to do to get a good hatch and attach. Everyone's water is different so you start at the basics first.

al
    Ok Al filled one 55 gallon barrel with 20% tap and 80% RO. These are the readings as of 5:00 AM.
    TDS = 40
    PH = 6.9

I will be doing a water change this afternoon.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 02-29-2024 at 08:38 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Ok Al filled one 55 gallon barrel with 20% tap and 80% RO. These are the readings as of 5:00 AM.
    TDS = 40
    PH = 6.9

I will be doing a water change this afternoon.
    That should be fine Chuck. If the pH drifts down too much just add a little buffer or a tiny amount of sodium Bicarb.,If stays in the 6's , thats great,

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Ok today was the day so here we go again.

TDS 50 ppm
    PH 6.8
    Temperature 83F

20240302_164742.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; Yesterday at 06:04 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Tell them that Mama Bear is getting tired of waiting.
    Mama Bear

Aren't we all

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Tell them that Mama Bear is getting tired of waiting.
    He gets spooked very easily.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; Yesterday at 08:50 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011