AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: first time with discus - qt'ing of wild discus

Registered Member

Default Re: first time with discus - qt'ing of wild discus

Ok thanks; I'll up their feeding a little; also between dosages of expel i'll turn on the uv system to kill any worms that are free floating. Hopefully this will improve things - i'll be 2 or 3 months before i report back unless something catastrophic happens like they all die.

Registered Member

Just a tiny update; but i'm feeding them nearly 3x more worms; but i am also hand feeding the smallest one - my process is to scoop out some water into a cup from the tank put all their food in it and then feed the other fishes in the room before dumping it (this allow the cubes to break down); however i am also taking some of the worms and hand feeding it to the smallest fishes - this process has really calmed them down a lot as they no longer hide when i do other things in the room. The meds are suppose to arrive later this week and i'll do 3 weeks of treatment per recommendation (3 treatments one a week). It'll be a while before i report back - at least 2 months to see if it helps. Hopefully they are just suffering from too little food and don't actually have worms

I found this seller on Band in NY Valley Stream NY. Is this the one?
    IMG_0728.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    I found this seller on Band in NY Valley Stream NY. Is this the one?
    IMG_0728.jpg
    That is not the seller I used; and the price i paid was approx 1/3 to 1/4 of what they are charging. Well around 1/3; also bit confused by their water. the seller I used is in ny but his water is soft acidic. I know another guy in ny (not a seller) that keeps discus and his tap is also soft acidic. I think ph is naturally around 6.5. Btw the person i used might import wild discus on request (not sure) but he has not imported any or sold any since i purchased his last group - he said he had a hard time selling them (which is why he gave me very low price); he normally imports catfishes and schoolers (exotic cory, pleco and tera); some of the species are quite uncommon. I of course do not buy fishes because they are exotic; however i do love dwarf cichlid and he has imported a lot of uncommon species of apistogramma (at the request of someone else). I will say that the various species of apistogramma have very different behavior.
    Last edited by anewbie; 07-10-2024 at 12:20 PM.

Real Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by anewbie View Post
    also bit confused by their water. the seller I used is in ny but his water is soft acidic. I know another guy in ny (not a seller) that keeps discus and his tap is also soft acidic. I think ph is naturally around 6.5.
    New York is a big state. Valley Stream is on Long Island where the water source is underground aquifers. I'm in Manhattan where the water source is any one of several reservoirs upstate. Big difference. As is the case with your friends, my water comes out of the tap between 6.5 and 6.8ph depending on which reservoir is being tapped and how long the water has been stored in the cedar water tank on the roof of our apartment building. Regardless, my fish seem to like it. And my Discus have all lived long lives.

Quote Originally Posted by anewbie View Post
    That is not the seller I used; and the price i paid was approx 1/3 to 1/4 of what they are charging. Well around 1/3; also bit confused by their water. the seller I used is in ny but his water is soft acidic. I know another guy in ny (not a seller) that keeps discus and his tap is also soft acidic. I think ph is naturally around 6.5. Btw the person i used might import wild discus on request (not sure) but he has not imported any or sold any since i purchased his last group - he said he had a hard time selling them (which is why he gave me very low price); he normally imports catfishes and schoolers (exotic cory, pleco and tera); some of the species are quite uncommon. I of course do not buy fishes because they are exotic; however i do love dwarf cichlid and he has imported a lot of uncommon species of apistogramma (at the request of someone else). I will say that the various species of apistogramma have very different behavior.

Have your seller get in touch with me if he wants to try importing wilds and marketing through SimplyDiscus. I get asked for supplier recommendations all the time.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Have your seller get in touch with me if he wants to try importing wilds and marketing through SimplyDiscus. I get asked for supplier recommendations all the time.
    I don't think he will do discus again; 'cept maybe as a favor for one of his regular customers. He just one person and he found them a real pain. Also cory/pleco have a much better mark up. Tiny fish that goes for $25 to $80 depending on species.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234