ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My feeding plan

Registered Member

Default Re: My feeding plan

Your feeding plan sounds solid! One suggestion might be to occasionally mix in some high-quality pellets or other frozen foods to ensure a balanced diet and keep their interest.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Cjbear087 View Post
    Yeah that’s a good idea. So are the things people say about beef heart false?? Ruining livers and whatnot
    An American discus breeder raised 5 generations of discus fed solely on beef heart. He had nothing to gain by promoting one type of food over another. Sadly, that's not true of everyone. The aquarium hobby is essentially unregulated and marketing hype dominates most discussions.

While there's nothing wrong with feeding a varied diet, there's simply no science to suggest that it's better. Dog food, a highly regulated industry, is based on the premise that the animal eats exactly the same food for long periods of time.
    Last edited by Willie; 06-13-2024 at 12:25 PM.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Theres alot of different foods out there you CAN feed. Eventually after trial and error everyone settles on what works best for them. Beefheart works fine for many discus keepers .. I would not knock it as a food choice and have used it. Many discus have been raised on it. I moved away from it just as I have moved away from live blackworms .. I have very good reasons specific to my goals as to why I have.. and thats why I feed what I feed today. My goals are unique to me.. they arent going to be the same for others. People need to really take the time learning about nutrition and make sound judgements that fit their needs.

Ultimately we all try a variety of foods with our discus and settle on what works best for us... If your fish eat the food,grow well on it and live long healthy lives on its probably all you need.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

After a lot of reading I am (currently at least) planning on culturing white worms. Seems straightforward but I have not seen much mention of this as a good food source for discus. Anyone have reasons to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    After a lot of reading I am (currently at least) planning on culturing white worms. Seems straightforward but I have not seen much mention of this as a good food source for discus. Anyone have reasons to avoid?
    They are a good source Don.. considered high in fat so balance the diet with other foods. I would suggest looking into red wigglers.. compost worms. Good live food.. solid nutrition and easy to culture.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

White worms are great to condition fish for breeding due to high fat content. Great food in a mixed diet, but I wouldn't feed it as the only food.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

White worms are great if your out door temperature is around 60 degrees at higher temperature they don't product you will know when it get smelly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12