AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tomato Sauce

Default Tomato Sauce

I seem to be the only one cooking these days .. may have to change this section to "Brews Foodie Blog"

I do love water changes though they are work , it gives me time to think about all those important topics. Things like what shirt to wear, should I take pics today or of course food. Breakfast today was left over pasta with marinara sauce. I'm not prejudist..I treat all food equally when I am hungry amd left over pasta is good 24/7 to this Italian

So I got to wondering when did Tomato sauce first come into existence. Found one interesting artcle by a Tomato sauce company..
    https://www.paesana.com/blog/the-sto...sauce-marinara

The Origin Of Marinara Sauce
    The exact location of Marinara Sauce’s creation seems to be lost to time, but it was likely first developed in the southern region of Italy, in either Naples or Sicily, after tomatoes first appeared in Europe via explorers from the New World in the 16th century. This comes well after the first forms of pasta arrived, which arrived on Italian shores with Arab traders in the 12 century.

Tomato sauce is first referenced in the Italian cookbook Lo Scalco alla Moderna (The Modern Steward), written by Italian chef Antonio Latini in 1692. Meanwhile, a recipe for pasta with tomato sauce appears in the 1790 cookbook, L’Apicio Moderno, by chef Francesco Leonardi.

Being the questioning type I next wanted more back story on Tomatoes. Why? because as a biologist plant guy I know that tomatoes are a member of the poisonous nightshade family,Solanaceae

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wildflowers/...and%20eggplant.

The Solanaceae, also known as the potato or deadly nightshade family is one of humankind’s most utilized and important plant families. It contains some of the world’s most important food plants, such as the potato, tomato, all peppers, ground cherries (tomatillo), and eggplant. It also includes a suite of deadly toxic plants represented by belladonna, mandrake, Jimson weed, henbane, and tobacco. The deadly nightshades are also members of this incredible family.

Remember when Wiki was one of those questionable sources of info and now everyone uses it.. Wiki says this...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toma...0flower%20beds.

The recorded history of tomatoes in Italy dates back to at least 31 October 1548, when the house steward of Cosimo de' Medici, the grand duke of Tuscany, wrote to the Medici private secretary informing him that the basket of tomatoes sent from the grand duke's Florentine estate at Torre del Gallo "had arrived safely".[16] Tomatoes were grown mainly as ornamentals early on after their arrival in Italy. For example, the Florentine aristocrat Giovanvettorio Soderini wrote how they "were to be sought only for their beauty", and were grown only in gardens or flower beds. The tomato's ability to mutate and create new and different varieties helped contribute to its success and spread throughout Italy. However, in areas where the climate supported growing tomatoes, their habit of growing to the ground suggested low status. They were not adopted as a staple of the peasant population because they were not as filling as other fruits already available. Additionally, both toxic and inedible varieties discouraged many people from attempting to consume or prepare any other varieties.[17] In certain areas of Italy, such as Florence, the fruit was used solely as a tabletop decoration, until it was incorporated into the local cuisine in the late 17th or early 18th century.[18] The earliest discovered cookbook with tomato recipes was published in Naples in 1692, though the author had apparently obtained these recipes from Spanish sources.[10]: 17 
    Please note though that Italians may have perfected the use of Tomatoes in Sauces.. The plants origins go back to the new world where it was domesticated.(Thank you Aztecs et al)

The wild ancestor of the tomato, Solanum pimpinellifolium, is native to western South America.[7] These wild versions were the size of peas.[7] The first evidence of domestication points to the Aztecs and other peoples in Mesoamerica, who used the fruit fresh and in their cooking. The Spanish first introduced tomatoes to Europe, where they became used in Spanish food. In France, Italy and northern Europe, the tomato was initially grown as an ornamental plant. It was regarded with suspicion as a food because botanists recognized it as a nightshade, a relative of the poisonous belladonna.[3] This was exacerbated by the interaction of the tomato's acidic juice with pewter plates.[8] The leaves and fruit contain tomatine, which in large quantities would be toxic. However, the ripe fruit contains a much lower amount of tomatine than the immature fruit.[9]

There you have it an easy recipe for turning left over Pasta and Marina sauce into an informative historical write up. Tastefully presented to you today by Brews Foodie Blog.

Now go plant some Tomatoes folks.. they are great even im planters and nothing beats Fresh home grown tomatoes and Marinara.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 05-31-2024 at 09:51 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Re: Tomato Sauce

I have 72 planted this year. Fifteen different varieties. About half of them new to me this year. Want to swap some seeds, Al?

With 15 Varieties Planted Gary Im not sure I would able to offer you anything you dont have lol..but I do collect alot of seeds from alot of my plants to use the following year. Have to becareful here with the varieties we have some soil pathogens that can just wreck a crop.

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

There are over 4000 varieties of tomatoes. Let me know if you want some new to you to try.

Thanks!

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

what else do you plant Gary?

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Four varieties of melons, yellow summer squash, zucchini, jalapeno peppers, okra, cabbage, and broccoli, so far this year. We skipped green beans as we still have several jars and more in the freezer. We still have purple hull peas in the freezer, but I might plant more. I almost forgot the butternut squash. This is the first time we have planted it. We have never eaten it before, but it looks good.

We should start a seed Exchange thread..I always have way more than I need

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com