ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you currently have empty tanks?

Default Do you currently have empty tanks?

Odd question I know. .. but do you currently have empty tanks? And is that because you cut back on the hobby or because you plan on expanding but havent decided what to fill it with.

Most hobbyist that are not into breeding probably havent realized the importance of empty tanks in fish breeding. To raise babies it takes TANKs. Those that do breed fish understand that very well or once they start to breed they learn it the hard way.

With all my breeding interests its a constant battle to have the tank space I need to do what I want. I count myself lucky when I can gain a few gallons here or there by moving things around. The problem I have is I hate empty tanks. .. I see an empty tank and the gears start turning as to what I can do with it. I literally have to write in marker on the tank " Do not use.. ...save for...." Pretty bad I know.

Why bring this up? Because I wanted to draw attention to the fact that raising fry is not just a time commitment..its a space commitment. Its a really cool thing to watch baby discus grow but they grow fast. .. and can easily fill tanks. If breeding is on your mind be sure to give that lots of thought.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Do you currently have empty tanks?

I have a 15 gallon hospital tank and 2 x 275gal totes that I have used for either aquaponics and a couple times for housing my fish whilst moving tanks around. In my former days of MTS back in Australia I usually had spare tanks for fry. In saying all that, I have had discus get to the wiggler stage but never beyond that.

Real Name
    Frank

I have a 75 and a 15 gal hospital tank empty. Plans were to get an acrylic in place of the 75g but have not brought myself to the place of doing it. One thing is that I might be moving within an year.

Thanks for the replies Danny and Frank.

oh and this maybe a good time to mention that Petco is having another of their tank Sales.... just saying..

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

I guess I could set up another tank in my living room but then I'd have to find a spot for my double wall oven that isn't ready for the kitchen yet, lol.. I've nearly broken my toes in the middle of the night several times, lol...
    oven.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I guess I could set up another tank in my living room but then I'd have to find a spot for my double wall oven that isn't ready for the kitchen yet, lol.. I've nearly broken my toes in the middle of the night several times, lol...
    oven.jpg
    Your Dog is muttering under its breath..." Stop encouraging him"

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Yup, have an empty 90, 75 and 40. The 40 has been cleaned up. The 75 will be next. Need another person to assist with the 90. Not having a working man really sucks sometimes.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I have a 15 gallon hospital tank and 2 x 275gal totes that I have used for either aquaponics and a couple times for housing my fish whilst moving tanks around. In my former days of MTS back in Australia I usually had spare tanks for fry. In saying all that, I have had discus get to the wiggler stage but never beyond that.
    Glad to see all the answers include a quarantine/medication tank AND a water conditioning tank. I keep a 30 cube for quarantine/medication and a 75 for water conditioning. Among non-discus keepers, most people have no idea of these requirements.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

I have 18 empty tanks on my basement floor that can hold between 10 and 75 gallons of water. I downsized my fishroom about a year ago and haven't needed to put any of those tanks back in service. I will probably be getting rid of half of them by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by wsantia1 View Post
    I have 18 empty tanks on my basement floor that can hold between 10 and 75 gallons of water. I downsized my fishroom about a year ago and haven't needed to put any of those tanks back in service. I will probably be getting rid of half of them by the end of the year.

Willie I have downsized a few times over the years. Sometimes its just necessary..in my case each time was.

The only thing I regretted each time I downsized was selling off perfectly good tanks.. which meant inevitably having to buy more tanks. My last downsizing I just stored the tanks.. which for me was great. .. as I didnt need to buy them again when my itch for fish got the better of me.

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I have empty 2 x 30G, 3 x 20G, 1 x 75G and I just sold my 32G cube and 29G Cube. I also have 2 x 6G cubes and 4 x 3G cubes that I used to use for pairing Rams. Not going to put in service any unless I decide to give breeding another try. I still have about 16 from the last batch in the 75 gallon tank. I just put on the Market place an second FX4 for sale with spray bars that I used on my 75G tank the other already sold. I been trying to get rid of extra equipment that I know I won't use.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 06-09-2024 at 12:39 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

I have a 150 gal in storage in my shed for 8 years, after my old house was destroyed by Superstorm Sandy. I want to set it up in my shed/greenhouse but been too busy and would need help to move. Plus not sure if it would leak after being dry for so long.

Real Name
    Dave Becker

Thanks for the Petco update---but I can't find room to put another tank. Wife said "no deal" putting it her bathroom.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

I have three 55s used for water aging and six NOS 29s in storage. Need to reseal the 29s, build a stand for them and get a proper aging tank.

Real Name
    Tom

I now have a 50 and 20g acrylic empty 2 15g glass and 2 5g glass. Been down sizing. Stopped breeding. Just wasn’t working! Not getting rid of any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast