AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Great Horned Owl's

Real Name
    Brian

Default Great Horned Owl's

Great Horned Owl's began retaking their territory in my area about 12 years ago. While I live in a fairly large city, the neighborhood I live in is heavily wooded, with large home lots and several small parks scattered about. The owls are really cool to listen to, and around sun down I can hear them communicating with each other through the trees. Now, some surrounding communities are putting out owl warnings, lol... People and pets have been attacked and these city people are freaking out. A few years ago, a lady down the street lost her cat when an owl snatched him from her front yard. I have a feral cat that has taken me in and she used to follow me and my dog while jogging. We were walking through the park just down the street, and all the sudden, and with no noise, an owl pounced on her from out of nowhere. She was very lucky to escape without injury, but the owl wasn't done. She was hiding in a bush and the owl was perched in a tree waiting for her to come out. I threw sticks at it but it ignored me until I took my shoe off and hit it. The it just flew to the next tree and still waited. Now my cat still follows me but stops at the park boundary line, then she turns and runs back home. Last year I was walking the dog and an owl flew about 5 feet over my head and bombarded me with a nasty rotten rabbit carcass. He missed me, but yuck!

Default Re: Great Horned Owl's

Does your city monitor the storm drains for Rats? Though great horms will take a small cat if the opportunity arises they are incredible opportunists..They will take

Diet – Great Horned Owls eat almost anything that moves, and will even eat carrion if need be. They are carnivores, however, and don't eat seeds, bread, or anything other than meat. A partial list of food items they have been documented eating includes: hares, rabbits, mice, coots, and ducks (these are generally staples of their diet); skunks, ground squirrels, rats, muskrats, tree and flying squirrels, woodchucks, prairie dogs, raccoons, house cats, very small dogs, porcupines, voles, kangaroo rats, pocket gophers, moles, opossums, chipmunks, shrews, bats, bobcat, weasels, geese, herons, loons, mergansers, grebes, rails, pigeons, starlings, other owls up to and including Great Horned Owls, Osprey, crow, raven, hawks, pheasant, bobwhite, Rhinocerus Auklet, chickens, grouse, shorebirds, gulls, egrets, bitterns, woodcocks, doves, woodpeckers, songbirds, lizards, snakes, frogs, toads, salamanders, worms, crayfish, insects, centipedes, scorpions, suckers, chubs, perch, bluegills, sunfish, catfish, bullheads, and eels.
    Basically they eat whatever is handy, and have one of the most diverse diets of North American owls. This helps them to be able to live in a wide variety of habitats, including cities
    https://www.internationalowlcenter.org/ghofacts.html

If you are seeing alot more than normal for the great horns its probable that one of their prey items has increased dramatically.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Another possible cause for the increase in attacks may be that the competition for food is on the rise. We've always had foxes in the area, but the feral cat population is exploding and recently coyotes and even bobcats are moving in. They all like to eat the same thing. The rabbit population is almost non-existent anymore.

Thats interesting . I remember growing up and there were alwys feral cats in the neighborhoods here. Not much anymore.. I actually rarely see a domestic cat out. With the rise of coyotes and bob cats in my area most people keep their cats inside.. .that plus an awareness that Cats are natural born serial killers. I havent had an ouside cat in probably 30 years now. Even dogs.. we never see them running here. .. they are all invisible fenced in.. ..For which I am very happy. I was bit more times than I care to remember as s kid. Most people here get their pets now at shelters and all shelters spay and neuter all the pets before adoption.

My area is suburbs .. Im sure we have ferals still as a problem in our urban areas
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-11-2024 at 03:37 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Thats interesting . I remember growing up and there were alwys feral cats in the neighborhoods here. Not much anymore.. I actually rarely see a domestic cat out. With the rise of coyotes and bob cats in my area most people keep their cats inside.. .that plus an awareness that Cats are natural born serial killers. I havent had an ouside cat in probably 30 years now. Even dogs.. we never see them running here. .. they are all invisible fenced in.. ..For which I am very happy. I was bit more times than I care to remember as s kid. Most people here get their pets now at shelters and all shelters spay and neuter all the pets before adoption.

My area is suburbs .. Im sure we have ferals still as a problem in our urban areas
    We still have some here out in the sticks but more barn cats than anything. The dogs once in a while they get loose but not many. I have fenced yard for the dogs and the cats go on the high deck to be outside and since I don't have any stairs they can't go and roam. We do have predators (very large hawks) so I keep an eye on my smaller blind dog when she is out. The other 3 would probably eat the hawk if the could they are small but fiesty.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 06-11-2024 at 03:59 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Tom

My neighborhood is a perfect place for these predators to appear. Great horned owls have been here for years. But very hard to find or see. Now there is an overabundance of rabbits,squirrels,chipmunks ducks,geese and even swans. But my neighborhood is 80x100 properties 28 houses a block 10 blocks square. This isn’t any part country and these big predators are moving in. There have now been coyote sightings and pictures. It’s funny how the comments are how they are suck beautiful creatures now! Wait till fluffy disappears!! Things will change.
    It’s funny. Everybody loves the pictures of the eagles. There’s a fb site Bald Eagles of Massapequa. I put up the pics of the eagle with the duckling and people don’t like it. Relocate the eagles!! Can you imagine what will happen when the coyotes get here.
    Great horned owls are something to see.DSC_2112.jpg. Just today I built 2 owl houses for the house out east IMG_3496.jpg