ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forum is Between a rock and Hard Place

Default The Forum is Between a rock and Hard Place

HI all,
    I really have a few problems here I need to bring up and a request. I spent the last two years trying to Jump start the forum again and its really come along way. I honestly was not sure it would.It hasn't been easy generating content and trying to get people to post. It has been frustrating sometimes . But We have been moving forward in a good direction. Add to it having to troubleshoot server and forum software problems. Its not been easy. Here is the problem in a nut shell. I have to do a few things to keep the forum online. The forum's current server is at end of service, so I need to get a new server and migrate to it. I literally have until July..After July our vulnerability to attack skyrockets. The server issue is complicated by the limitations of what our current forum can run on. To do this I can get another dedicated server, pay for both the old and new... test the new and drop the old..Its what I have done in the past. I can also use forum software that run on cloud servers... VB offers it.. But we loose some of customizations like banners, and library. Alot of our add-ons are obsolete and are not supported in newer software versions.

At the same time we need new forum software. Its been discussed alot on the forum and I have asked for feedback and gotten some. Being as old as we are here and all the data and customizations we have, its going to be hard to move to other software, most I have looked at don't have migration software that will work for us. ..Even if we stay with VB and move to their new suite Vb 6.0 Its not going to be easy... and I will need to pay for some customization and coding. Some forums when they reach our age just close the forum to posting and keep it as a readable archive and they start a new forum with new software. Its the easy route and less risky route and allows you to start fresh with modern software.

I'm a Biologist, not a Server/software person. I know enough to get by and do troubleshooting. Its not my strong skills though...far from it. I am going to need to pay server and software people to help me if I really want the best chance at keeping all our data and history intact. Things have gotten so much more complicated over the last 22 years from when we started Looking at all the options its just the way things are. The longer we exist here and use the software we are on, the more complicated upgrading gets and risky.Doing nothing though is not an option unless we want to get hacked or have other issues.

No matter what I do I am facing costs that I am really not situated to cover. With the loss of the AquaticSupplier's Blackworm sales, my resources are not what they were. And my "free" time to spend on this stuff has taken a hit . Server costs, software costs , customizations. All said and done I am looking at a few thousand dollars most likely regardless of the route I take. That is a huge gamble for me.

I really do not like doing this but I am going to request donations here. I haven't asked for Donations in a very long time ( Pre-pandemic probably)

If you want to help Keep the Forum online, active and improve it..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/misc.php?do=donate

Any Amount would be helpful. I know not everyone can help and I do not want to put any pressure on or guilt people. If you Can't help , you can't. I understand. I also know we don't have a huge active membership anymore. But I am really hoping that any of you reading this that benefited from the forum in the past or now can help out. I really would like to Keep the forum going and improve it but this is something everyone will need to help make happen. I can't justify it on my own, as much as I want to. In the meanwhile I will continue to look at options and try to determine how we move forward,

Thank you everyone.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-12-2024 at 03:28 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: The Forum is Between a rock and Hard Place

Happy to help in anyway possible Al.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Hi all,
    A few members here stepped up to the plate and were very Generous. Thank you! You have really helped alot. Thanks to you I can start to tackle the server issues. I think we will first migrate to a new server and try out Vb 6 on that server. Going this route also enables more options when looking at forum software. So thank you very much!

How about everyone else that logs in and uses the forum resources.. Can you help? Doesn't need to.be alot. Think about what the forum gives you day after day and please consider giving back alittle if you can.

Thank You everyone.

Al

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I will add to this List as donations come in but I want to recognize people here that have donated...

Pat H.
    Brian W.
    Minh L.
    Carlos C.
    Steven W.
    Thomas M.
    Richard S,
    Yifeng H.
    Carlos C.
    Willie L.
    Thornton W.
    Johanna R.
    Pat H.
    Roland W.
    Jay W.
    James A.
    Brian M.
    Don S.
    Andrew W.
    Jan B.
    Stan J.
    Anonymous
    Jacob C.
    Michael L.

Thanks so much !!!

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 06-19-2024 at 08:40 AM.

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I can say for myself and I am sure others agree that it's appreciated the hard work you put into the forum and I wouldn't be still be here if it wasn't for the extensive knowledge and friendship it brings to a bunch of strangers all over the world. Thanks Al

PS. We are not strangers anymore.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    I can say for myself and I am sure others agree that it's appreciated the hard work you put into the forum and I wouldn't be still be here if it wasn't for the extensive knowledge and friendship it brings to a bunch of strangers all over the world. Thanks Al

PS. We are not strangers anymore.
    Chuck, Thank you very much!

al

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

I wish I could do more but you know the predicament I'm in. I'll certainly help with the server and software as much as I can with my technologically limited brain.

Registered Member

For some reason the donation link does not work for me.. the page doesn't load.

Will try again from a different device when I get home. Just so you know if anyone else runs into a similar issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I wish I could do more but you know the predicament I'm in. I'll certainly help with the server and software as much as I can with my technologically limited brain.
    Brian, All help is greatly appreciated ! I know you have your hands full right now and limited resources!

al

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
    For some reason the donation link does not work for me.. the page doesn't load.

Will try again from a different device when I get home. Just so you know if anyone else runs into a similar issue.
    Hmm, I double checked international payments should be fine.. Might be a work related block.

al

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

When I first did mine it blocked me for a second and then got directed and it worked.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

Al
    I just tried to open pay pal and it said things are not working at the moment. I wonder is this the problem Johanna is having?
    I will try alter.
    Jay

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Al
    I just tried to open pay pal and it said things are not working at the moment. I wonder is this the problem Johanna is having?
    I will try alter.
    Jay
    Should say later.

maybe paypals having some hiccups.. Things are all good on my end. If anyone cant use the donation link.. drop me a pm. We will sort it out if you want to donate.

Thanks!

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I just tried it again and paypal did make me go thru extra stuff but it worked at the end.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast