AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My discus diary (660 l planted tank and related projects)

Registered Member

Default Re: My discus diary (660 l planted tank and related projects)

Now there are wigglers. The parents immediately moved them to the driftwood. I have no illusions of the fry staying alive there but it's certainly interesting to watch.
    Last edited by Johanna; 06-29-2024 at 04:24 PM.

Its still a very cool thing to watch.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...and-Hard-Place

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

https://youtu.be/KhP2MLhmCqo?si=OECfn3tydtv9Dcc5

20240630_192511.jpg

The new guy has settled in. He (?) eats beefheart with a good appetite but otherwise, he's feeling a bit awkward... the girls aren't helping with their shaking at each other and chasing the newcomer away. I know sexing discus is nothing but an educated guess at best, but I'd like to hear your opinions. Did I manage to pick a male this time? The newest fish is the one on the left in the pic

20240630_183413.jpg.

And another thing. I notice their head shape is quite different. I notice the male (?) has a higher forehead with a rather straight downward slope, and a more pointed mouth. Both females have a much rounder forehead. They are equally thick so it's not just that. Is it gender related or just individual characteristics, and if so, which one is better?
    Last edited by Johanna; 06-30-2024 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
    https://youtu.be/KhP2MLhmCqo?si=OECfn3tydtv9Dcc5

20240630_192511.jpg

The new guy has settled in. He (?) eats beefheart with a good appetite but otherwise, he's feeling a bit awkward... the girls aren't helping with their shaking at each other and chasing the newcomer away. I know sexing discus is nothing but an educated guess at best, but I'd like to hear your opinions. Did I manage to pick a male this time? The newest fish is the one on the left in the pic

20240630_183413.jpg.

And another thing. I notice their head shape is quite different. I notice the male (?) has a higher forehead with a rather straight downward slope, and a more pointed mouth. Both females have a much rounder it forehead. They are equally thick so it's not just that. Is it gender related or just individual characteristics, and if so, which one is better?
    though I was wrong last time you asked that. lol. Looks like you have a male now.

Shape. The new fishes shape is a little sloping in the forehead. Its a very nice fish and I would be very happy to have it...But to me the females shape is better...its an opinion and subjective. Your male also has a very tall body/dorsal Fin. Its almost what has been called "standing egg"..but not quite.Definitely High Bodied..It has a good eye size to body ratio though. Neither are showfish. but they are really beautiful discus.
    One thing you can use as a guide is a CD or dvd. Which of your fish best fits the Disc?

>>>>>Want a great forum? Participate in it and make one.. it doesnt happen on its own...

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

eyesize to body ratio explained..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...Size-Explained

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    though I was wrong last time you asked that. lol. Looks like you have a male now.
    Like I said, I know it's a guessing game! At least there's a 50% chance of being right I suppose even these fish should still grow a little, gender differences might become more apparent as they age.

Regarding shape... Thank you for the insight, that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Trying to develop "the eye for a good discus". I picked the high bodied one on purpose thinking that IF they breed and IF I manage to grow out some fry it would help improve the shape and even as a beginner I might avoid producing fish that look like the vertically challenged 'hard water discus' you linked a while ago . Either way, personally I like the high body shape (but not the short, high almost bulldog type). The eye size guide you posted is excellent, I think I'll start drawing lines on pics of all of my discus out of curiosity

Registered Member

Time goes on.... the quarantine period for the new fish is coming to an end, (is it!? 7 weeks for the females, 2 weeks for the male) and I need some advice on how to proceed....

I'm a bit anxious to end the quarantine and move them or at least one of the females to the main tank because now they are seriously fighting. The females stopped laying eggs about a week ago and instead of pecking on the new male, turned on each other. There are visible injuries, including in the eye on one of them that worries me a bit.20240710_130526.jpg
    The eye looks a bit cloudy and there's some fuzz on it protruding outwards.
    20240710_125424.jpg20240710_125246.jpg
    The female in the last pic isn't feeling happy at all right now, sitting in the corner... it's the one with the injured eye too.

They have all been treated with Camacell twice (5+4 days at the moment, large water change and end of the second treatment period due tomorrow). The females also with eSHa Hexamita when they first arrived. I wonder if this is enough for all of them or should I still do another round of Hexamita as well so they've all been treated?

The dwarf cichlids in the small tank have all gone through the same treatments and 7 weeks of qt. I think I'm going to start with moving them to the main tank first (after a period of changing increasing amounts of water between the tanks like I did last time). If everything goes well the new discus could follow. I don't think adding a 'hero fish' into the mix with the new discus would be a good idea now as there's so much going on and the tank feels already overcrowded with the three big fish.

But another question is, should I move all of the new discus or only one of the females and give remaining female and the male a chance to pair up? The male has become braver and eats more confidently but he still stays out of the way of the fighting females atm. Or does it matter at all how they choose to pair naturally (if they do)? I mean... the new females clearly want to spawn all time so they probably *will* pair up soon in the main tank and possibly pick a "wrong" partner. So if I later want to try and raise some fry can a mixmatch pair be broken up and the male swapped?

Help me out here, please, what would you do?
    Last edited by Johanna; 07-10-2024 at 09:36 AM.

Registered Member

Here's a better pic of the eye.20240710_164755.jpg

Registered Member

Separate thread for the injured eye here: https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...16-Injured-eye

and I'm going to continue my ramblings about the other two fish here.

So it appears that I need to arrange them a breeding tank of their own, and as soon as possible to give the one with the injured eye some peace and quiet to heal. The only problem is that I was planning to eventually use the current quarantine tank for that purpose and the two empty tanks that I have are both too big (planned to use one of them for growing out the fry when/if they get that far), and I don't really have the room for an extra tank besides those... I won't be at home tomorrow so I can't really do anything about it before sunday. At least the fighting has calmed down for now, maybe the big water changes removed some hormones from the tank. I'm just very much hoping that the eye starts looking better soon so that would give me a few days to think about how to arrange everything.

How big are the tanks you have? I have had pairs in 55 Gal,..which worked great as the fry had lots of growing room.

we need help..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Those are 270 l / ~71 US gallons (150x40x45 cm height, not ideal dimensions I know.... 10+ years old but seems to be in good shape) and 450 l /119 gal (150x50x60 cm height, with bad-looking seams that probably need to be re-done before use)... I meant to test fill the older one and then decide what to do with them.

I thought tanks of that size would be a pain as a breeding tank because of the constant water changes (lots of unnecessary volume) and the fry getting lost from the parents.

Anyway There seems to be a further problem going on with the new fish that needs to be sorted out before I can even think of breeding, something is clearly stressing them at the moment. I wrote more about it in the injured eye thread.
    Last edited by Johanna; 07-13-2024 at 03:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12