ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Quarantine tank

Registered Member

Default Quarantine tank

How big should I go for say 6-8 5"+ discus before moving them into the show tank?

I will plan on any water changes needed until they are proven healthy, eating and ready to display. Just not sure on if the rule of thumb for size of tank you need per fish is the same in a quarantine as it is in your show tank (I assume I can get away with a smaller than 210 gallon tank my show tank is.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Quarantine tank

If you're doing 3 - 4 complete water changes a week, they'll do fine in a 55. If you're only doing 100% weekly, I'd go with a much larger tank, at least a 75.
    Last edited by Willie; 07-08-2024 at 09:11 PM.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Jake

Agree with Willie here - if you're planning on changing the water completely several times a week then you can get a 55 and be good. I don't think I'd go any smaller than that.

Registered Member

Perfect. Thanks for responses. My original thought was a 75, but I could make a 55 work as well.

Appreciate the help

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Not trying to be argumentative but just for perspective changing 100% weekly in a 75 is equivalent to changing 100% in a 55 every ~ 5.1 days. To put it another way the frequency of water change to end up with the same contaminant concentration (assuming arethmetic doubling times, which biololgically applies most but not all the time) is proportunate to the inverse of the ratio of the smaller to the larger tank, i.e. if you change the water in a 75 every 3 days it would have the same effect as changing 100% of the water in a 25 every day.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Ouch. That hurts my brain

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Then stay away from the DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" thread. Al and Willie are taking a deep dive into aquarium denitrification. Started looking at it and gave up until I have more coffee.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    Then stay away from the DIY "Anoxic Filtration System" thread. Al and Willie are taking a deep dive into aquarium denitrification. Started looking at it and gave up until I have more coffee.
    I will take your advice Don. I have kinda peak in in the fringe of it, but since I have no interest in the concept I can also do without the headache of trying to figure it out!
    Enjoy your coffee mate!