ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus criticisms....

Default Discus criticisms....

Hi all,
    I think its important that I state for the record the views of this boards administrators as to the grades of fish being shown here by members, and opinions of them. Several recent posts have shown this is necessary....

This site was started to give people a place to talk about discus, learn about them, and their care, and possibly become friends with others having similar interest. The board is moderated to help maintain a friendly atmosphere in which to accomplish this. It is our hopes that the amount of moderating is minor, and that everyone treats each other with respect, even when the differ in opinion. Doesn't always work like that but it is the goal.
    There are people who post on this board with years of experience and there are some with no experience. It is my hopes that the ones with the experience will share it with the less experienced.

Just some distinctions.... If you post the pics of your fish, be prepared to receive positive and negatives about them. This board will not moderate , or censor posts in which one member expresses their opinions (positive or negative) about fish that have been posted, provided they are stated in a professional, civil manner.

My personal thoughts on opinions is everyone has one , and few ever agree. Partly because of this I prefer members here to use the private Messaging if they think there is a problem with a fish. It gives the person an opportunity to learn without hurting feelings. I also think that in the normal course of learning, Each member here will come to learn the desireable traits of a discus by seeing pictures of perfect specimens. I prefer to teach by example. I will not enforce this, but hope many of you will chose to critique others fish that way.
    To help people learn about what is desired... I would also like to ask the experienced breeders to post a pic in this thread of what they would describe as a perfect discus. Verbally describe the traits that you would find desireable. Next post a pic of a fish that is not a runt , or misshapen cull (those are obvious) but instead post one with minor flaws and point them out.

example...

One of my nicest discus..F1 wildXsscross

next...
    great fish, love the round body, its an F1 cross to a wild, note the pronounced crest... I'd like to breed that out of it.

can you all help me out here?

-al

Ps... feel free to critique and pics posted here.

Default Re:Discus criticisms....

YEAH!! YEAH!! Well said Al. Totally 8) & those fish are beauties. You can send that 1st one over anytime, & the 2nd, & & & ! Dottie 8) 8) 8) 8)

Registered Member

Al,
    I think my thread "Its all your fault!!!" was a good example of what you are trying to explain too. Martin stated his opinion, and mike and martin posted pictures of what they believed to be good specimens. I think so far everyone on simply has had a good attitude towards one another. I however am not going to comment on the fish you posted, as i don't have as much experience with discus as many people on this forum.

Tyler

Well said, Al...

And on another note, I wish Tyler could give my kids (ages 14, 16, 17, 19 and 20) some lessons on how to be a mature and responsible kid!!! His parents must be sooooooo proud of him!!! And they should be proud of themselves for doing such a great job as parents!!!

Judi

Judi,
    I'm with you. Hey Tyler, if you ever want to be adopted let me know. I been honored to have a son like you! ;D

-and no it has nothing to do with you being the perfect age to help me change water ;D LOL

take care,
    al

Registered Member

Wow guys, thanks so much for the compliments. I think im gonna have my mom come read this thread.....lol. Al, i sure would like to be adopted by you! All those discus......i would be in heaven! I would definitely help with w/c, thats half the fun. You may have to fight april for me though...... afterall, she has become my mom..... Hehe, and al, one day im gonna have to visit you, your not that far away from me .

Tyler

Registered Member

Al, I will point out to the negative:
    Those fish are awful! They shouldn't be in your tanks.
    Now, as for the positive, and considering that they are of 1/2 wild parentage, I'll be glad to help you out to rid your hatchery of those. If they weren't I am sure with some beggin' you would find somebody willing to provide a tank for them. Might be tough, though.
    In all seriousness, keep up the good work! (and I agree that what you are suggesting is a nice, rational, honest and helpful manner to discuss fish, both for owners/seers, and experienced/inexperienced keepers).
    Cheers, Francisco.

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Al : Keep it up ................... please.

I agree Al 100%

Good body Shape means alot to me. Your first Pic is stunning I would be Proud To own That Discus.
    Just a few pics of Good Shaped Discus! IMO
    HTh
    TakeCare'
    cary Gld!

;D :

8) 8)

Registered Member

Wow Cary, those are some awesome fish! I would be proud to have any one of them! That heckel...... is it a domestic cross, or a wild?

Tyler

Cary ....Cary .....Cary

Tell me those are..... "MY"..... White Diamonds :-*

Beth

Here is a pic of Small discus with good Shape!

There are a few with bad shape. Can YOU find Them?
    Theses few should not be breed. They will carry this shape for life no matter what. In any Case I DO not LIKE and consider them culls. Many will tell you it depends on the strain. BS their is Quality stock avalible in all strains.
    TakeCare'
    cary Gld!

Yeah...Al....Tyler is my kid!!!!!! LOL. you can have him sometimes.....but hes mine during my water change times.... ;D
    ok well....not sure i have any fish i could post....but i do have some wilds...i like....hers my wild green...my feelings wont be hurt.....as hes wild......and mother nature is his breeder. ;D

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast