ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Solitary Confinement

Registered Member

Default Solitary Confinement

Question: Is a 10 gallon tank ok for the purpose of quarantining (QT) one adult Discus?

Also, it seems to me that fish in the hospital tank and in QT are kind of mopey and sad. Forget about the really sick fish for a minute - that's a different story. Have any of you noticed how much happier they seem when they finally rejoin the rest of the group? Or is it anthropomorphism - is happiness really a quality that fish enjoy? Can a fish find happiness on his own? Ok, I'm being silly now :

Default Re:Solitary Confinement

I've quarantined little discus in 10 gallons with the right amount of water changes, but I've never tried an adult. If it's a big adult, I'd assume he'd be a little cramped. Maybe a 20 gallon would be a better choice? Yes, discus are a shoaling fish, so rejoining the group makes them a little more comfortable.

Ryan

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Yes, you are correct. They do not like being by themselves. Many times it's best to medicate the whole tank (even though it's more expensive).
    CArol

Registered Member

And other kinds of fish - say danios or tetras - they just don't do the job, do they?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Nope.
    Carol