ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Nitrite problem

Registered Member

Default Help Nitrite problem

I am new to discus, I have 2 adults and 3 juv in a 55 gallon tank with rock. (I know the rock has to go. How do I do it with them in tank?) My ph is 7, temp 87, ammonia 0, nitrite 2.0, no nitrate test, gh 6, kh 5. About a week ago my 4 year old dumped a whole container of tetra bits in the tank. I almost died. I did water change after water change for several days. It seemed to clear things up. My adult pair even spawned, except the male ate the eggs. First time to spawn. So I thought everything was okay. I usually change water 2-3 times a week 25%. I use tap water. I would like to get an r/o unit from what I have read on simply, but I don't know much about them or what I would need. To make a long story short, my fish are not eating good, last two days, since I did my last water change. My adult female has clamped fins and is dark. The juv usually eat out of my hand but are not even coming out. Help! Why is my nitrite just now coming up? I know I am going to start doing more water changes, but how much and how often? Any other suggestions? Could it be anything else. The adult female did have a white fuzzy spot on tail. But its gone now. I raised temp from 85 to 87. She is sometimes only using one fin.

Default Re:Help Nitrite problem

Hi Nicole, Welcome to our forum! and welcome to discus!!!

How long has your tank been set up?

for you to have Nitrites it would indicate to me that the bio filter is not quite cycled yet. Before you remove anything that may have good bacteria on it ...what kind of filter are you using?

can you increase your water changes to 50 % daily ? If you can it would help greatly with keeping the nitrites low while you are figuring out whats going on.

I would also add 1-2 tablespoons of salt to the tank.... it protects against Nitrite poisoning.

take small steps here... Ro water filters aren't a necessity and your water looks fine... do you have to treat for chlorine or chloramine in your water?

Do you age your water to stabilize the pH, or go straight from the tap?

-al

Registered Member

My tank has been set up about 8 weeks. Yes I can do 50% water changes. I treat for cholrine with stress coat. I have an aqua 300 power filter and a topfin 60 power filter. The topfin came with the tank, I added the aquaclear. I go straight from the tap on my water. I was using 6.5 Ph when adding water, it wasn't holding very long. From what I have read on here I didn't need to use it, so last water change I did not use it. I have added the salt. Thanks!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

does your tap water contain chlorine or chloramine?

Since you don't store or "age" your water to rid it of chlorine (and stablize pH) I wonder if the chlorine/chloramines in your tap water killed your filter?

I hope others on the board can recommend a good dechlor product to use - maybe Prime? (I have a well so don't need dechlor prodcuts) You don't need the aloe, etc. in stress coat.

Al gave you good advice regarding the EXTRA water changes and SALT. You filter should be back to normal in a few days.

ps. Don't do 50% water changes if the pH from your tap is lots lower than the water in your tank. Big pH swings stress discus. Do you know what the pH is from your tap and in your tank ? It may be better to do two 25% WC since you don't have water storage . . . .

Registered Member

I'm not sure whether my tap has chlorine or chloramine. The ph from my tap is 7.4. Should I add salt with every water change or just once? I just did a 50% water change and my juve's are out and acting better. Adult female still looks bad but is moving around a little more. Nitrite is still very high. Thanks for helping. I have visited other web sites but I think this one is tops. Very helpful and educational. Its wonderful to know people want to help.

Registered Member

Nicole, For What It's Worth I agree with Al and Carol.
    I would keep up with the water changes until your Bio filter re-establish's itself.

Also I would cut down on the feeding's for a few days. (the fish produce less waste).

Have you ever taken a nitrite reading from your tap water? Just a shot in the dark...
    I've used stress guard with no problems but I now use Prime. It's more concentrated (use less) and it doesn't have the extra "snakeoil" ;D thrown in.

good luck,
    Chuck

Hi Nicole,
    To see if your water has chlorine or chloramines, you can call the water dept.
    or
    You can use a water conditioner that removes the chlorine (make sure to do this before doing wc's) and then test the water for ammonia. (if chloramine = chlorine + ammonia added by the city to kill pathogens) , if ammonia is left , then the city uses chloramines (most likely).
    If you have chloramines let us know and we can make recommendations to help.

Yes water changes and salt, and small feedings. also siphon out any waste at least once a day. Only add salt back to the replacement water for water changes (after the initial dose) that way you keep the concentration of salt in the aquarium constant. I use 1 to 2 tablsp "non- iodized table salt" for ever 10 gallons water.

do you know what the ph is? if it is over 7.0 , then nitrite is a bit less toxic.

hth

Registered Member

My tap contains no nitrite, and it has chlorine based on my test. My ph is 7.2. I am keeping up the water changes, salt, and small feedings.

Also where can I find prime? LFS?

I also have rock in the bottom. I know, big mistake. Should I remove it now, or later?

Thanks so much for the help!

Registered Member

Nicole,
    I would leave the rock for now until thing stabliize then I would remove it over a period of time.. It acts like a bio filter also.
    Prinme you can get at your LFS of mail order: one place I use which is good is http://www.thatpetplace.com.

chuck

Registered Member

Default Re:Help Nitrite problem HELP

I have done another 50% water change. My blue cobalt is still looking very bad. None of the others look bad. She is getting worse. The nitrites are still very high. She very dark, fins clamped, rubbing herself on a rock, and starting to swim on her side a little, only using one fin. Please help, is there anything else that could be wrong? :'( Why would she be the only one out of 5 to do this if it is the nitrites?

If it is the nitrites, should I transfer her to another tank? The only one I have is a ten gallon with 5 gold fish in it. (my sons). It has been set up for a very long time. I'm not sure of the ph right now, it is usually low, but if anyone thinks she would be okay if I raised the temperature please let me know. I'm going to test the water now just in case.

Registered Member

I tested my 10 gallon ph is 6.4, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, gh 6, kh3. Temp is only 74 though. I am not sure she would like being in there with goldfish though. Any suggestions, quickly. She looks so bad. Getting worse fast.

Nicole,

It would not be wise to put her in your 10 gallon with such a low temperature. One of the main suggestions when a discus is sick is to raise the temperature, not drop it. If your nitrites are still high you need to continue doing water changes. A 50% change should have some affect on the nitrite level in your tank.

Nitrite is toxic to discus, as is ammonia. I'm not sure that I have any other suggestions other than water changes. Maybe there is something wrong with the fish other than nitrite.

Ryan

Nicole

are you sure your nitrite test kit isnt defective?? as Ryan said....A large water change should cut the nitrites sufficiently.....Ive fully cycled tanks before with discus in it with nothing more than 50% waterchanges daily and never had they problems your describing.

Tony

Registered Member

No my nitrite test isn't defective. I just tested my 10 gallon and it was 0. I have done two 50% water changes in the last 24 hours. The nitrites are still high. What else could be wrong with her? Should I raise the temp in the 10 gallon and try her in there? I just put 2 clown loaches in there about a week ago, could they have given her something?

What is the reading on your nitrite kit? It may help us to know what "high" is... What was the nitrite before your water changes? How about after?

Did you quarantine the loaches before adding them to your tank?

Ryan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast